Seeking advice on Route to South of France (1 Viewer)

Oct 31, 2012
here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650
Exp
Since December 2012
Hello all,

For our 3rd trip to France, my wife and I wish to travel to the South of France. I have the 2015 edition of " All the Aires France" in 2 Books, and have marked the following as possible overnight Stops................ (travelling via Dover - Dunkirk, and returning the same way) The Aires marked are;

in the Nord Pas de Calais Region St Venant (No.47) and Marcoing (No.66)

in the Campagne Region Nogent sur Seine (No.27)

in the Burgundy Region St Julien du Sault (No.99) Clamecy (No.85) Treigny (No.86) Fours (No.76)

in the Rhone/Alps Region Les Noes (No.9) St Victor sur Loir (No.44)

in the Limousin & Auvergne Region Tence (No.90)

in the Rhone/Alps Region (further down) La Champ Raphael (No. 97) St Remeze (No.91)

in the Mediterranean Region Anduze (No.99) Aniane (No.84) Montagnac (No.64) Sete (No.67)

We might stop at some on the way down, and return on alternate Aires marked, on the way back up.

Hoping to travel in mid May, for about 3 weeks, without Pets or children. We do not use Toll Roads, as we like to travel leisurely through villages and the countryside. Could some of you well heeled travellers, please advise on this Route, whether there are any steep Mountains on this Route, and alternatives, as I do not wish to put too much strain on our M/H.

Many thanks. BillyS
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
You are going outside the main holiday season so wherever you go it is most probable you will find room at any aire. Your route obviously has a few inclines as you are heading into the mountains. Any well maintained MH will be able to climb a mountain route, what causes issues is when heavy traffic is involved. So in your case its a case of drop a pin in the map head there, get there and enjoy

OP
OP
BillyS
Oct 31, 2012
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650
Exp
Since December 2012
Many thanks for your prompt and positive reply PJG Wiltshire. I forgot to mention in my post, that we will probably visit the odd Campsite, as we have also purchased the 2015 Asci Books, and will probably need to do the odd washing machine load. We do have Solar,and refillable Gas Bottles, both installed by Dave Newell last year, and a 1st Class job he did too, on both installations. Our M/H had a full Service last September, so fingers crossed, no problems in the near future envisaged.
BillyS
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We go to France and have discovered the best way is not to plan ahead more than a day, much more fun and you end up in some really nice places off the beaten track. Been doing this for years now and it is really nice setting off not knowing exactly where you are going.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Plenty of steep hills on the way, especially Rhone alps region, but none too steep. My advice is to use road maps, not sat nav at first, only when near the destination. Best to just take your time and stop mid afternoon so you can relax a little.
We have done this many times so dont rush and have fun.
Phil

OP
OP
BillyS
Oct 31, 2012
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650
Exp
Since December 2012
Thanks for your reply WillH. Due to the fact that we only have 3 weeks (wife's work commitments) we need to get to the South Coast as quickly as possible, as she is a Sun worshipper ( no kidding !!!! ) and wants to get as many rays as possible while we're away. I'm the opposite. Don't get me wrong , I like nice and sunny weather, but I don't do sun bathing, or sitting endless hours in the sun. I would rather sit under the Awning.
BillyS
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
forget planning just get off the train/ferry and turn right. Avoid peages and visit the real France stop anyplace you are at when you have traveled enough that day. There are so many well signposted places to stop and you only really need an aire when you need to fill up or empty out.

OP
OP
BillyS
Oct 31, 2012
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650
Exp
Since December 2012
Many thanks gillnphil, have noted your advice. I have last year's Michelin Atlas for all of France. Believe it or not, the France Atlas is thicker than the all European one, as I have that one also. Thanks again.
BillyS
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

OP
OP
BillyS
Oct 31, 2012
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650
Exp
Since December 2012
Thanks wildman. We did 2 trips to France last year, one trip last May for 3 weeks, and one last October for 4 weeks, travelling as far as the Rhinefalls in Switzerland, so we do have a bit of a feel for the travelling/overnight stops. My main concern is the steep hills/Mountains on route, as I don't want to put too much strain on the old engine. Its only a Peugeot 120HP, so not too powerfull, although the M/H is only 4 years old, and only 20 K Miles on the old clock, she does behave quite well.
Thanks again.
BillyS
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
Billy, Sounds like your van has been well maintained - why are you worried about mountains?

Keith :cool:

OP
OP
BillyS
Oct 31, 2012
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650
Exp
Since December 2012
Pikeman,
Never done steep mountains before, just a bit worried about narrow roads, oncoming traffic etc, if you get my drift.
BillyS
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
OK, I think you may have a miss-conception of some of the mountain roads. You will be fine mate. Mountains mean views, enjoy!!

Mike Gregson

Free Member
Mar 26, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 650SP
Exp
10yrs
We live in the middle of France, and often travel between France and UK.
We can recommend a stopover at the carpark for Monet's garden at Giverny, near Vernon on the River Seine. It is an easy drive to/from Calais The parking and the night stop over is free, it is a flat hardstanding, there are no facilities. But you can visit Monet's garden and walk round the village for half a day, before continuing on. This is a wonderful place at almost any part of the year. The garden is best before 10am and after 3pm, ie before and after the coach trippers from Paris.
There is a thin Aires book showing all the free Aires in France. There is a free Aire in our main village - St Laurent, in the Creuse department. From there you can drive south through the middle of the Massif Central (Puy de Dome, Cantal, Ardeche). All beautiful, very quiet with easily drivable roads.

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
There is a wonderful free aire at Chusclan in the Mediterranean region. It is at the Laudon vineyard and cave and all facilities are free. Huge parking area and wine tasting. Our favourite by far. We get a 5 litre bottle filled up there and enjoy it as we roam around the south (obviously after we stop driving LOL). Now I've given myself itchy feet. We're going by that way in September.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Thanks wildman. We did 2 trips to France last year, one trip last May for 3 weeks, and one last October for 4 weeks, travelling as far as the Rhinefalls in Switzerland, so we do have a bit of a feel for the travelling/overnight stops. My main concern is the steep hills/Mountains on route, as I don't want to put too much strain on the old engine. Its only a Peugeot 120HP, so not too powerfull, although the M/H is only 4 years old, and only 20 K Miles on the old clock, she does behave quite well.
Thanks again.
BillyS
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Should not worry,,,my 19 year old non turbo Transit takes me any where...very very slowly up hills but it usually gets me there and back....BUSBY :):)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back