Seeking advice on possible ebay purchase from a private seller (1 Viewer)

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
I just wondered if any funsters who had purchased/tried to purchase their motorhomes on ebay had any advice on how I should go about it in regards to a private seller rather than a dealer. I would be unlikely to enter an auction, but might be interested in a vehicle up for sale with "best offer".
Thank you in anticipation.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Bought our van off eBay about 5 years ago, just need to be careful, check V5 against seller address etc before handing over any money. Go with your gut feeling not your heart, be prepared to walk away, if you think their genuine ask for a day to think it over.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
the obvious risk is that you have virtually no come back, find damp in it after a week and get ready to pay for it yourself

it does look like a nice MH in the photos, he mentions service history but no mention of a habitation service, that would be money well spent to confirm everything works as it should and it should include a damp report

if you like the look of it I would try to find a local to him mobile service company, better to pay £100 - £150 and still be able to walk away, it might even be they have already had one done fairly recently and can show you the results, he might even be prepared to have it done for you before you view or before you collect at least

then you have got the issues with money hand over, either carrying a shed load of cash, which from the sellers perspective could be dodgy for all he knows, or transferring the money before you actually get possession, slightly scary prospect

Provided you are saving at least 20% compared to the same MH at a dealers it probably makes a good buy, but if not at all sure stick to dealers, everybody sells for a reason, the vast majority will be genuine sales, but not all of them (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
the obvious risk is that you have virtually no come back, find damp in it after a week and get ready to pay for it yourself

it does look like a nice MH in the photos, he mentions service history but no mention of a habitation service, that would be money well spent to confirm everything works as it should and it should include a damp report

if you like the look of it I would try to find a local to him mobile service company, better to pay £100 - £150 and still be able to walk away, it might even be they have already had one done fairly recently and can show you the results, he might even be prepared to have it done for you before you view or before you collect at least

then you have got the issues with money hand over, either carrying a shed load of cash, which from the sellers perspective could be dodgy for all he knows, or transferring the money before you actually get possession, slightly scary prospect

Provided you are saving at least 20% compared to the same MH at a dealers it probably makes a good buy, but if not at all sure stick to dealers, everybody sells for a reason, the vast majority will be genuine sales, but not all of them (y)
What photos?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Sold my last van on ebay.. Buyer came from Spain...

Lots of scams but just be careful, dont sent or part with any cash.
View at the registered address and I think you will soon find if they are genuine sellers.
Lots of mobile technicians will do a hab check for you and send report...

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi Roadster55
Many people have successfully purchased from a private seller and got a good deal.

There are certain things you need to check before you hand over your hard earned money.
Obviously get a HPI check, and I personally would ask if I could have a independent check done at my own expense. Even though I was buying from a company I had M.A.C.I.C do an inspection report on it which gave me peace of mind.
A habitation check is paramount in my opinion as stated above your on your own once the money has changed hands and any damp can be costly to say the least.
Also another thing to be aware of is Log Book Loans, this is where a person goes to a loan company and the loan company loans money against the vehicle, up to 60% of the value and the seller hands over the V5 as then the vehicle belongs to the lender “or I think it’s called a lean against the vehicle but don’t quote me on that ” until the loan is paid back.
If the seller is unscrupulous he could then ask the DVLA for a replacement document and then sell the vehicle on and not pay the loan off.
Although the loan company is meant to tell the DVLA there is a loan out on that vehicle it’s not set in law so they don’t have to do it, so there is a chance that it might not show up on a HPI check.
Then when the loan company is not paid they can legally take the vehicle and the purchaser will have to try to get the money back from the seller.
So make sure the V5 date of issue is hopefully when the chap bought the vehicle and not in the last year or so.
Here is a link which tells you all the things you need to know about logbook loans.
https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/logbook-loans
Hope this helps and does not frighten you too much.
Best Wishes Tony

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back