Security

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by Fireman Sam, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Fireman Sam

Fireman Sam Funster

All this talk of stolen MoHos has inclined me towards buying a wheel clamp. I’ve got an alarm fitted, but it keeps going off for no apparent reason. So a wheel clamp seems to be the answer.

The visible deterrence aspect appeals, as it could deter the little rascals from any fruitless, but damaging, attempts to break in.

I’m considering the Milenco M15, which seems to retail at circa £120.00
    Whatcha think?

Any other recommendations folks.

2. paulmold

paulmold Read Only Funster

I have also been thinking along the same lines but if you remember the thread about the stolen Autotrail, it said it had a Bulldog 'sold secure' wheel clamp and steering wheel locking bar, so do any of them do the job?

• Like Like x 1
  3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Our van had an alarm and tracker fitted when we bought it and both work OK. We already had PIR operated security lights covering the drive (I replaced bulkhead fittings when we moved in 21 years ago).

We bought a Bulldog DC400 Auto Clamp after This Thread. Cost £102.65 from a local auto/camping shop.

A fortnight ago our elder son helped me install a CCTV Kit (bought before Christmas when it was on offer at £279.99; I received a flier from Screwfix today advertising it at £299.99) and that gives us good coverage (I put some signs in the van "24 hour CCTV security recording in operation. If you are reading this you have already been recorded."). Hopefully that will be enough :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Terry

Terry Funster

Disk-lok is the preferred deterrent of the Landrover lads around here :BigGrin:
    Locks only keep honest people out :Wink:
    terry

• Like Like x 1
  5. williamb

williamb Read Only Funster

I have a disklok on my motorhome it is a good visible deterrent and the only one that I no of that is thatcham approved. They are very solid.:Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Phill D

Phill D

i must admit its prompted me to recheck things;

so i did checks of my "stikeback" alarm system and all is well.:thumb:

also,

drove to an isolated location and called the tracking company and asked where my van was..:Eeek:.

they said:-

"we have had no alarm to say its been activated sir, but its parked about 10 meters from a round silo at " location given by them ", is there a problem."?

nope! just checking and spot on:thumb:

7. fleurette

fleurette Funster Life Member

You say that the alarm keeps going off, so i presume that the alarm is to be left switched off and just a wheel clamp used instead ?? . If i'm right in thinking that make sure that your insurance policy doesn't require you to have a working alarm if you have said that when you took out your policy, like us all lets just hope we never have to make a claim for theft of our pride and joy :cry:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fireman Sam

Fireman Sam Funster

Thank you all. Lots to think about.

Mike

9. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

The best security device out there has to be the quick release steering wheel !
    Lots of thieves come prepared with cutting gear and tracker jammers ,but how many carry spare steering wheels.
    The only downside is you look a right lemon carrying it about ! :BigGrin:

Vlad

• Like Like x 2
  10. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Thats going to be a major refit job with the airbag, radio and phone controls attached.
    Any idea how the Autotrail was stolen? I thought newer vehicles were almost impossible to start without the key / immobiliser?
    Allan

• Like Like x 1
  11. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

if they want to steal it they will eventually regardless of what is fitted to it.

Personally I would say get a tracker added - EddieVanbitz does a variety to suit pocket and are very good.

As for the alarm keep going off it could be thieves wanting to wear you down so that you turn the alarm off and so that neighbours dont take any notice.

• Like Like x 2