Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Do you approach everything in life with such negativity?

You leave me asking myself is the "blue rinse" significant?
Negativity sometimes wears a disguise called ‘reality’.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Negativity sometimes wears a disguise called ‘reality’.
Really? So you are suggesting that someone asks a question on here simply to go out and rob folk?

Lets break this down and look at this logically:

People put things in their motorhome safe when they go away.
When parked on the drive outside the house / in storage people don't leave valuables on board.
The OP has asked the question to find out where the valuables are.
Because some funsters say in their profile / postings where they live / include photos of their vans this gives the OP information he can use to steal their valuables.
All he has to do is park outside their house, which for me he can easily find by driving around County Durham.
He then has to sit outside my house until he sees me loading up to go away on a trip.
He then follows me, presumably onto the ferry if I don't stop before then, waits for me to park up and leave the van.
He then breaks in and whist the alarm is ringing he finds the safe, which thankfully I've already told him where it is, cracks the safe and steals my stuff.
I am left feeling like a muppet because I told him where the safe was to be found.

I prefer the alternative view of human nature, the OP is exploring options, asks a honest question and doesn't respond as:
a) he is not a paid up member so only has 5 posts to use,
b) he is reading all the responses and sees people accusing him of being a potential thief and decides this is not the sort of forum he wants to join,
c) he has a life and doesn't sit waiting for people to respond, will sit down at his leisure and consider the responses offered.

Of course he might just be staking my van out now - no wifi round us so cannot respond!

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Really? So you are suggesting that someone asks a question on here simply to go out and rob folk?

Lets break this down and look at this logically:

People put things in their motorhome safe when they go away.
When parked on the drive outside the house / in storage people don't leave valuables on board.
The OP has asked the question to find out where the valuables are.
Because some funsters say in their profile / postings where they live / include photos of their vans this gives the OP information he can use to steal their valuables.
All he has to do is park outside their house, which for me he can easily find by driving around County Durham.
He then has to sit outside my house until he sees me loading up to go away on a trip.
He then follows me, presumably onto the ferry if I don't stop before then, waits for me to park up and leave the van.
He then breaks in and whist the alarm is ringing he finds the safe, which thankfully I've already told him where it is, cracks the safe and steals my stuff.
I am left feeling like a muppet because I told him where the safe was to be found.

I prefer the alternative view of human nature, the OP is exploring options, asks a honest question and doesn't respond as:
a) he is not a paid up member so only has 5 posts to use,
b) he is reading all the responses and sees people accusing him of being a potential thief and decides this is not the sort of forum he wants to join,
c) he has a life and doesn't sit waiting for people to respond, will sit down at his leisure and consider the responses offered.

Of course he might just be staking my van out now - no wifi round us so cannot respond!
You have your point and I have mine.

I put forward for consideration a thought and nothing more. How you read it and your interpretation of it is up to you. You are getting personal now read the rules........ Rule1

Last edited:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
I think you will find he is a paid up member: Funster Number: 31288

I and no one else has accused him/her is anything.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
You have your point and I have mine.

I put forward for consideration a thought and nothing more. How you read it and your interpretation of it is up to you. You are getting personal now read the rules........ Rule1

So you don't think repeatedly telling others that they are stupid is getting personal? We didn't imply that a the OP is a thief, I merely took your argument to its logical conclusion.

I and others are happy to share our security arrangements to help others on here, its our choice - we are grown ups and don't need to be told on multiple occasions, how reckless we are being - that is more a breach of rule 1.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Such as ?

Samsung 22 inch full HD with HD freeview. memory card slot. £99. now a bit more, was a Tesco offer a while back. likewise travel laptop, Dell 15 inch £150 from UK hot deals..I could not care less if either get stolen:)

OP
OP
The Camper

The Camper

Free Member
May 3, 2014
ex/Rochdale now fulltiming
Funster No
MH
Hymer 614sl
Exp
Since 2000
Wow I didn’t expect so many replies.

I will try and put a couple of your minds at ease as I realised after I posted the question that some of you may think I asked because of dubious reasons.

Well I know, you all know, members of the public know and all thieves certainly know that there are valuables kept in our motorhomes while we are away in them – and the situation gets added to vastly when you go abroad (passports, extra cash etc.). So it isn’t a big secret :rolleyes:

Our situation at the moment is that my wife and I will shortly be full timing in our van as the sale of our house is not far from complete. It’s something that we have had planned for years (retire; sell the house and bugger off in our motorhome). The house sale has been a nightmare as we have had 3 potential purchasers having to back out because they couldn’t get the mortgage and the process has gone on for well over a year now.

Now (getting back on topic) as it looks like we will finally be realising our dream and buggering off in our motorhome we are trying to pre-empt any potential problems, and security is one of the problems.

We aren’t new to the motorhome scene as we have had them for over 15 years and had tents for years before that so know the difficulties as regards security but after reading the (mostly) helpful comments I (and I expect quite a few on this forum) have more ideas as to how best make our valuables a little more secure.

Just to answer my own original question I intend to hide as best I can a safe somewhere in the van and have granny sat on the porch with a shotgun :)

I hope to meet some of you on our travels and we can compare notes over a drink or two (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just to answer my own original question I intend to hide as best I can a safe somewhere in the van and have granny sat on the porch with a shotgun :)

I hope to meet some of you on our travels and we can compare notes over a drink or two
Not if 'granny' reads your comment about her!!! :eek: Somehow I think the shotgun might get used sooner than you think!!!:D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have a SD card each, although I'll probably change this to us taking USB sticks instead as they are easier to 'stick' into machines if needed! On these I put: scans of all our important documents including travel insurance and EHIC cards, our and the dogs' passports, the camper's docs (V5, insurance, recovery etc), our driving licences, also a copy of the Eurotunnel crossing 'ticket'. I also have details of the dogs' microchips and where they are registered in case I need to contact them, also photos of the dogs and the camper too - showing someone a picture for something 'lost' is much easier than trying to give a description in a foreign language! One other item is a 'word' document detailing who we are, who should be contacted in an emergency etc.

I've also done a list of the phone numbers for our credit/debit/cash card companies which I print out and which fits in our wallets so we have it with us at all times in case we need to refer to it.

The only thing I will say regarding security of items in the MH - think 'outside the box' ... literally ... there are some areas not necessarily 'inside' the MH which make brilliant hiding places, or are not accessible from inside, this is in addition to the 'hidden' or not so obvious places within. Have a really good poke around in all the nooks and crannies and you'll finds some suitable spots - don't put it all in the same place either, 2 or 3 hiding places is much better than lumping it all into one.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Agreed.
After reading a recent post and watching the video link I tried the technique on my digital safe.

Opened 3 times on the trot....less than 20 seconds for all three times.

Mount it upside down, the technique doesn't work then.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
A quick death could be better than a lifetime of suffering ! :imoutahere:

Vlad

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I rather like people that hide things away in their vans. more than once I have found cash and items in obscure places in vans i have bought

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
I rather like people that hide things away in their vans. more than once I have found cash and items in obscure places in vans i have bought
But surely armed with the V5 you would take reasonable steps to return them to their rightful owner would you not?
If not I think that's called theft by finding!!

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
[QUOTE="MinxyGirl, post: 1574397, member: 149]

The only thing I will say regarding security of items in the MH - think 'outside the box' ... literally ... there are some areas not necessarily 'inside' the MH which make brilliant hiding places, or are not accessible from inside, this is in addition to the 'hidden' or not so obvious places within. Have a really good poke around in all the nooks and crannies and you'll finds some suitable spots - don't put it all in the same place either, 2 or 3 hiding places is much better than lumping it all into one.[/QUOTE]

When we bought our new Auto Sleeper last year I found a couple of hiding places underneath and put spare keys in magnetic boxes. We decided to have a tow bar fitted at Derby tow bars and when we went to pick the van up and pay the bill. The fitter handed me twomagnetic boxes he had found whilst fitting the tow bar.

John.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
But surely armed with the V5 you would take reasonable steps to return them to their rightful owner would you not?
If not I think that's called theft by finding!!
no I always sign a receipt including any contents. If however I came across something of obvious sentimental value I would endeavour to return it.
I have found cash, various odd items and 4 bottles of Crug champagne (hidden inside a rolled up awning)

do you honestly think dealers return all the odds and sods found in second hand vans? you purchase the van "as is" including anything left inside or attached

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
[QUOTE="MinxyGirl, post: 1574397, member: 149]

The only thing I will say regarding security of items in the MH - think 'outside the box' ... literally ... there are some areas not necessarily 'inside' the MH which make brilliant hiding places, or are not accessible from inside, this is in addition to the 'hidden' or not so obvious places within. Have a really good poke around in all the nooks and crannies and you'll finds some suitable spots - don't put it all in the same place either, 2 or 3 hiding places is much better than lumping it all into one.

When we bought our new Auto Sleeper last year I found a couple of hiding places underneath and put spare keys in magnetic boxes. We decided to have a tow bar fitted at Derby tow bars and when we went to pick the van up and pay the bill. The fitter handed me twomagnetic boxes he had found whilst fitting the tow bar.

John.[/QUOTE]
the other favourite is taping or cable tying a key to the chassis. equally as obvious to anyone working on the vehicle

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
do you honestly think dealers return all the odds and sods found in second hand vans? you purchase the van "as is" including anything left inside or attached

I would hope so but even if they don't it doesn't make it right just because they steal what's not theirs. If it forms part of the van or is equipment for the van perhaps they could argue it was part of the deal but they certainly couldn't claim that for cash or expensive champagne left in it in my view.

I can't really understand your thinking, so if property appears of sentimental value you return it but if it's not or is cash you keep it?

If someone had inadvertently left a quantity of cash in a van I don't think the 'I purchased it as is' would wash personally. I certainly wouldn't like to think someone benefitted from my genuine mistake through dishonesty.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I would hope so but even if they don't it doesn't make it right just because they steal what's not theirs. If it forms part of the van or is equipment for the van perhaps they could argue it was part of the deal but they certainly couldn't claim that for cash or expensive champagne left in it in my view.

I can't really understand your thinking, so if property appears of sentimental value you return it but if it's not or is cash you keep it?

If someone had inadvertently left a quantity of cash in a van I don't think the 'I purchased it as is' would wash personally. I certainly wouldn't like to think someone benefitted from my genuine mistake through dishonesty.
so if you bought a house and the previous owner left furniture or items in the attic, would you go out of your way to insist they remove them? of course not and items hidden in the attic may be from previous owners years ago. who could prove ownership of an antique whatever lost in the attic for 100+ years

its not theft at all, you purchased the property and all it contains. exactly the same with any vehicle, even a motorhome

your logic would mean contacting previous owners for an odd sock in the base of the wardrobe

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I think you should all get your self man bags ! :LOL: carry your own crap round with you.

I actually have one I use when I'm abroad. I used to stuff all my odds and sods in a camera bag but it was too bulky so instead I bought a nice calfskin man bag.. I only use it abroad though..

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
so if you bought a house and the previous owner left furniture or items in the attic, would you go out of your way to insist they remove them? of course not and items hidden in the attic may be from previous owners years ago. who could prove ownership of an antique whatever lost in the attic for 100+ years

its not theft at all, you purchased the property and all it contains. exactly the same with any vehicle, even a motorhome

your logic would mean contacting previous owners for an odd sock in the base of the wardrobe
We'll have to agree to disagree then

Your example above is nothing like the scenario we are talking about re people leaving cash inadvertently in a motorhome they sell or other items of value which is what you stated you found and kept. I am sure had they realised there is every probability they would want their property returned.

It's absolute rubbish in my view it forms part of the sale, it's an honest mistake by the previous owner that you chose to profit from rather than do the decent thing and return it

Reactions: DBK

maxine and jo

Free Member
Sep 16, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1980
I actually have one I use when I'm abroad. I used to stuff all my odds and sods in a camera bag but it was too bulky so instead I bought a nice calfskin man bag.. I only use it abroad though..
CHICKEN!!!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Use it why don't you... Think men bags are great and like pink shirts are used by men who are
confident of their masculinity .... don't have to prove anything.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back