Security within your vans

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by The Camper, Sep 30, 2015.

1. The Camper

The Camper Funster

Hi all

It’s my first post and after reading hours of interesting and informative threads I am ready for my first post.

I – like quite a few on Fun will be heading down to southern Spain this winter and I am wondering how you go on with security within your vans.

I would worry about the contents (passport, credit cards, cash, and other easily pinch able valuables) while you are away from your van. Do you use a safe, a hiding place or do you carry everything of value on your person while out for the day.

I ask because a few weeks ago I was talking to a fellow motorhome owner whose van was broken into while he was out and he said that his van was totally trashed – there was nowhere that he could have hid anything that wouldn’t have been found.

Now it’s bad enough if this happens in the UK but if it happens while you’re abroad it must be a nightmare.

Generally we just take bare essentials while travelling in the UK but if you’re spending a few months in Europe you need substantially more stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Charlie

Charlie Funster

I fitted a really strong key safe in a place not easy to find. It's a pain to get at And would take quite some getting into..
    Not perfect but if some stard is determined enough anything could get bypassed ..?

• Like Like x 3
  3. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

I have a belt pouch which carries passports, camera, keys, cards and cash. My OH usually carries a handbag. Nothing else valuable really goes with us.. we have a PVC so security is as good a works van potentially carrying thousands of pounds of stock. If it's good enough for them it's fine by me.

Of course if there are laptops etc with us then we hide them away somewhere but if we get broken into they will be pinched. That's what insurance is for.

I have toyed with putting a safe in but it feels like a lot of hassle for not much benefit IMHO

4. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  5. Baycott

Baycott Funster

Hi @The Camper and welcome to Fun
    We leave most stuff in the van but have a good alarm which will hopefully scare off most intruders. There are always the persistent b#+*tards that you will never stop. Just have to hope they don't pick your van.
    As @mjltigger said, that's what insurance is for.

6. zac

zac Funster Life Member

We have a safe bolted to the floor underneath the bed which is hidden by a load of items stored under there, whilst i am sure if they had enough time they would find it it is only a deterrent. I also take photos of all our key documents just in case we do lose them so at least we can get them back although it will be a lot of hassle. There are plenty of posts on here around securing the van when either in it or not, most are common sense but there are some good ones. We have been to Spain the last 2 winters with no troubles, this year we will have a proper alarm with a gsm alerter as we plan to leave the van a lot more (with new scooter).

• Like Like x 1
  7. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

I carry money , cards, passports and camera with me. In addition to a cat 1 alarm I also have deadlocks on habitation and drivers doors. Mind you it would make an awful mess of the doors with any attempted break in.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Speve

Speve Funster

We have a small safe that I installed in a secret compartment bit of a b***er to get at but its out of the way and I also fitted Abus deadlocks to the doors I was a Crime reduction officer in my work and am a chippy so it was relatively easy for me to do if you fit things that are highly visible they act as a deterrent to the opportunist thieves who will probably move ont to something that takes less time to get into as the longer they are there the more chance of getting caught! Harrison locks are very expensive and they charge to fit them as well,I paid £70 for two Abus deadlocks so saved quite a bit but if you are not confident pay someone to do it.I have also made up a special lock for the side sliding window.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

I had a safe fitted under the built in bed, loads of stuff stored round it and on it. It was very awkward to open even with the code so I hoped it would delay any would be thief enough.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jollyrodger

Dont forget a Gas Detector :whistle:

• Like Like x 3
  11. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

So a new member is asking about security within your MH and 3 post here have already stated were their security is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    PLEASE people keep how and were you store your private things to yourself. You wouldn't tell someone you just met at a camp site..... WHY tell someone here. No disrespect to the OP, but how I do it and were they are stored is my business
    (y)
    Anyone can read these posts

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
    • Like Like x 21
  12. Charlie

Charlie Funster

The problem with carrying money and passports and so on is what about if we go to the beach and want to swim ? Or if the bag carried gets lost ?

• Like Like x 1
  13. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

there are waterproof options if you need a swim or you just have to stick to places where you can keep things safe. If you are concerned about your passports going missing then realistically about your person is the only safe place.. what if your vehicle was stolen or involved in an accident or a fire while you were away? A safe isn't the answer unless the only possible risk is a toerag who knows a good fence.

14. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

those modern and cheap digital safes are as secure as a biscuit tin. can normally be opened without tools or damage

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

I could tell you what we do.....but then I'd have to kill you...

• Like Like x 5
  16. scousebird

scousebird Funster

Photocopy all your documents and passport, driving licence, EHIC card etc and leave a copy with someone at home then if you lose any of it you can get ref nos etc from someone. Someone once told me to put a dog bowl filled with water outside the door, simple idea suggesting there may be a dog inside (if you haven't got one).

• Like Like x 3
  17. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Who said anything about cheap ?? Our one is extremely strong. It's bolted in securely and whilst not perfect is safer than nothing .

• Like Like x 2
  18. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Which you pointed out years ago so I stripped mine, worked out a solution using a blob of greace and that problem is solved.

• Like Like x 1
  19. jollyrodger

It pays to Advertise :whistle:

20. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

I'm so security conscious that I don't discuss my security arrangements on an open forum ;)

• Like Like x 7