Free Member
May 26, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
6 Years
We are about to own our first motorhome having twice tried hiring to make sure we liked it (we did!).

On the hired vehicles we had a steering wheel lock that we always fitted when the vehicle was parked up, and intend to carry on this practice with our own pride and joy.

My question is, when leaving the van parked somewhere during the day, e.g. supermarket, town centre while shopping or local beauty spot / tourist attraction and while away from the vehicle, should the window blinds be left open to show nothing of value has been left on display or closed so that people cannot peer in regardless.

Which would you recommend as the 'safest' way to leave the vehicle. Oh, and take it as read that we'll double check the doors are locked and set the alarm LOL ::bigsmile:

duetto owner

Free Member
May 7, 2009
north surrey
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
in first year
we use our hitop MH as our runaround too. Every stop we close curtains all round, place disklok on steering wheel and set our cobra alarm.

you never know when an oppertunist thief is passing or if you have been clocked and followed by more prof thiefs.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi tucker,

my view on this is there is two reasons for pulling the blinds down....

1....you have something to hide.

2....you are in the van.

if you are parked in a public place any scroat could knock on your door with the excuse of asking you to move for some reason or other.
no answer means, of course, no-one in the van so the blinds mean, in their mind, you have some thing to hide and they want it.:Angry:

just my personal opinion :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
To Curtain or not to Curtain

We draw the blinds and the curtain between the cab and living space.

Fiamma lock on habitation door is also turned and locked in place.

Alarm activated then reduced to just the door protection. The reason being that our main protection is usually tucked up in bed. Until needed.

BUT just try approaching the van and she turns on her deep German Shepherd bark.

She certainly came into her own in Inverness. we came back to the van to find the Fiamma lock part turned. (don't ask me how they unlocked it) Obviously they were soon dissuaded from progressing further.

Upvote 0

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
security

We are about to own our first motorhome having twice tried hiring to make sure we liked it (we did!).

On the hired vehicles we had a steering wheel lock that we always fitted when the vehicle was parked up, and intend to carry on this practice with our own pride and joy.

My question is, when leaving the van parked somewhere during the day, e.g. supermarket, town centre while shopping or local beauty spot / tourist attraction and while away from the vehicle, should the window blinds be left open to show nothing of value has been left on display or closed so that people cannot peer in regardless.

Which would you recommend as the 'safest' way to leave the vehicle. Oh, and take it as read that we'll double check the doors are locked and set the alarm LOL ::bigsmile:
I agree with papajohn, people are curious by nature if you leave the blinds shut it draws attention. Weve also got a 12 stone bullmastiff he tends to keep unwanted nosey or criminal types away:Eeek:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

tucker_j

Free Member
May 26, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
6 Years
So it's sounding like blinds up and get a bigger dog. We have four spaniels which I don't think are going to scare off a ner do well!

Upvote 0

Tailendcharley

Free Member
Oct 9, 2008
Funster No
I also have a 5 year old German Shepherd....best deterent and alarm in the world...so confident with his ability to fend off potential criminals that I don't bother locking any doors...he just sits there looking at you daring you to come closer ..nobody ever does:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Regards

Smithy:Smile::Smile:

Upvote 0

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
if i leave the dog in the van it's blinds down. anyone gets too close & she barks. they can't see she is wagging her tail & wants to play.

if i take the dog it's blinds up i'm with pappajohn on this.

my van has a strikeback alarm & i always set it even if the dog is inside. it also has deadlocks fitted to both cab & habitation doors. oh and a removable steering wheel which i only remove if it's blinds up.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back