Free Member
Feb 15, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Van Converion
Exp
3 years
we are looking for advice for internal locks for our Peugeot boxer conversion, any help would be very much appreciated......for back doors and side sliding door.

nick & lu

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Ours Pug ( 2014) has a red button in the front that you press. It locks all the doors once your inside. Plus dead locks as standard. So sorry can't help.
I'm sure it could still be broken into though. So we're going to get some of those plates you put under the handles. I'm told it helps prevent breakins.

OP
OP
N

nicklu

Free Member
Feb 15, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Van Converion
Exp
3 years
Hi Our van as the factory fitted alarm but we were reading that it would be more secure to fit locks on the inside of the doors to stop them being opened from the outside.
Thank you for your reply, I will post updates as soon as we find suitable security for the doors. Thankyou kindly nick & lu

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
N

nicklu

Free Member
Feb 15, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Van Converion
Exp
3 years
yes we will have a look at garrisons locks...someone as just suggested putting a metal bar across the inside back doors .not really sure if this would be sufficient. Will check out all options. As long as we are safe. Thank you. .will keep you posted nick & lu

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I've pondered on this for some time. As I see it, the main issue with most devices is that many are only as strong as the the screws fixed to the thin metal bodywork. Fiamma do one for the front doors that fixes onto the door edge, which should hold much better, because any forcing would not be direct on the easily pulled out screws or bolts, but that still leaves the rear and side doors.

I too like the idea of a bolt across the rear doors, but you'd still have the issue of the screws pulling out. That aside, they should work well. I've had the idea of fixing two chains across the front seats, attached to each door with one of those siren locks joining them together in the middle. The passenger side chain could also attach to the sliding door, too. This should work as a warning should anyone attempt to break in while you are inside at night, for example, and have some deterrent effect if visible in daylight, but probably would have no effect on a jemmy break in, or broken side window, etc. And there you have the issue. Whatever you do, where there are windows, there's and easy way in. So I've never taken it any further.

One posting somewhere suggested a simple bolt through the sliding door track, or perhaps through the door, dropped in from the inside, but I didn't quite get where or how.

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
If they want it, they will have it ! Ours had the driver's door lock drilled out about 6 weeks ago, they proceeded to drill out the ignition lock. They were in the process of attempting to read the immobiliser chip with a device, this meant it could have actually overridden the system and they would have got away. As it is, they gave up and left it. We've looked into all sorts since and have decided the only way to ensure this isn't stolen is to fit the whole Growler system alarm, this shld deafen them and be too painful for them to continue trying to break in. Opted for the arm and track system too. Means even if they have our keys to steal it in the first place, we have access to a microphone which will record their voices and the van will send a signal via gps to follow the van. When they next stop the van it won't re-start. If the van starts to move without engine start, ie loaded onto something, we will also get the same alerts and system kick in. Built into this are sensors in case bikes are tampered with and a panic alarm. All this for the lovely price of £1300. Well worth it when you consider what you spent designing and having it built, as we did. Have a word with Eddie Vanbitz if you're interested. Ours is getting fitted in 5 weeks, can't wait to have the peace of mind !!!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Put all your valuables in a safe bolted or built in somewhere. We have the Milenco locks on the front doors which covers simple entry on those nights we forget to lock the doors when we go to bed. Otherwise I'm not sure about much more other than perhaps the plates under the door handles.

Make it too strong and they will just do massive damage trying to get in.

They can always just jemmy open the plastic windows. :)

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/milenco-cab-door-deadlocks.114749/#post-1529085

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the security of panel vans is a big business for most fleet operators so there are plenty of products to choose off the shelf

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
oh and the quickest almost silent way to open a locked ducato/boxer is using a sharpened screwdriver pushed through the skin below the door handle. stainless steel plates under the handles solves this

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
oh and the quickest almost silent way to open a locked ducato/boxer is using a sharpened screwdriver pushed through the skin below the door handle. stainless steel plates under the handles solves this
Steel plates affixed to the outside of the door? How are they fixed?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Steel plates affixed to the outside of the door? How are they fixed?
you take the trim panel off the inside and undo the bolts holding the handle, then insert plate and reassemble. the plates are also great for repairing a punctured door after a break in

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
you take the trim panel off the inside and undo the bolts holding the handle, then insert plate and reassemble. the plates are also great for repairing a punctured door after a break in
I fitted these on my transit based coach built that were notoriously easy to get into along with dead locks.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Save your money - Locks only keep honest people out :eek:I could get into any van within a minute -Well perhaps not a security van but I would be willing to give it a try :D
terry

OP
OP
N

nicklu

Free Member
Feb 15, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Van Converion
Exp
3 years
The Growler system seems to be an excellent idea, we are going to have a look at this and fitting the plates. Not carry any valuables! !!!! We have smoke and gas alarms, i suppose we could learn some self defense !!!!!! Nick & lu

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back