Security Door Lock (1 Viewer)

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
for the habitation door which doesn't hinder getting out quickly in an emergency. The Thule lock which can be turned from inside looks good but no space to fit it on our compact motorhome. Have some diy ideas but not sure how to make them reality! Any Funsters have any ideas?[/QUOTE]

These work well both outside and inside the habitation doors, your choice to have a key lockable type on the outside or not,

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
Recently bought a Milenco door frame lock & some Fiamma ones & much prefer the Fiamma locks. The Milenco was more heavy than necessary & had a poor paint finish whereas the Fiamma one was much lighter with a good paint finish & looked better. Both lock open as well as in the locking position. Bit disappointed in Milenco as most of their products are excellent design & quality. Still looking for a solution to an additional lock that locks from inside for the habitation door which doesn't hinder getting out quickly in an emergency. The Thule lock which can be turned from inside looks good but no space to fit it on our compact motorhome. Have some diy ideas but not sure how to make them reality! Any Funsters have any ideas?

If you are only concerned with extra security when inside the van, keep an eye out for one of these, they come up on Ebay every so often. They are magnetic and simply fit over the turn knob on the inside handle and prevent the lock from being opened from outside. You can also fit it and then exit through the front doors.....

Link Removed

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Like other posts on here I would be worried about how easily they can be broken off, particularly if badly fitted

On the question of fitting, anything that involves puncturing the outer skin worries me and would certainly make me look really closely and damp check before buying a used one, these products are too easily bought and fitted by enthusiastic amateurs

Personally I don't think they look very nice either, particularly on non white MH's

I do appreciate people are concerned about safety and security but as on other posts recently it seems that if someone wants to get in they will

I am lucky and have one of the fancy Habitation doors that I can't think of its name now, I hope the locks on those are better than others, probably another false hope :Doh:

Best advice I have read recently is leaving dog bowls outside MH at night, not thought of that but will be buying a spare set for about £4, nice big ones!! could be the best security investment I make

With regards to puncturing the shell we have gone for the Fiamma door frame type which is just fixed by 2 screws into the door frame that looks the same once fitted. Don't forget to order extra spacers to ensure a snug fit. Have had these on caravans in the past & never any problems. Probably not as strong as the through the wall type but didn't want to do that & ultimately better than nothing as a deterrent.
These are now available in silver so look better on non-white motorhomes. Hope this helps anyone considering locks. We took the tip from here previously & now have a lead & big dog bowl to leave outside - cheap enough & anything is worth a try!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Open anything with a two foot jemmy,trouble is it can cause more expense when they force entry than the cost of what they steal. BUSBY::bigsmile:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I fitted four of these locks to the MH this year and very pleased with results,
You can see at a glance that they are locked, very robust and well made,
Would highly recommend them, just a satisfied user,

These look excellent, especially as you can open and lock them from the inside as well. We have one of the Fiamma ones, but don't use it as a lock, just as something to attach the dog lead to. It was already fitted to the van but I can't recommend them.

Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
Door locks

I have just fitted a milenco door lock works from the inside as well , seems well made .you can exit in a hurry by just turning a knob . Of course don't want to try that for real.
Regards Dave

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
for the habitation door which doesn't hinder getting out quickly in an emergency. The Thule lock which can be turned from inside looks good but no space to fit it on our compact motorhome. Have some diy ideas but not sure how to make them reality! Any Funsters have any ideas?

These work well both outside and inside the habitation doors, your choice to have a key lockable type on the outside or not,[/QUOTE]

Thank you - with the internal handle this does look very good, takes up less internal space than the Thule/Milenco version & does have a list of motorhomes it fits. However, not sure that we are brave enough to drill through the panels so much & at 99 Euros plus 9.50 Euros p&p a bit beyond our budget at the moment. Current best option still the Fiamma door frame lock & some diy option for now to secure it from the inside - any Funsters with bright ideas?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We finally got round to fitting an extra lock on the habitation door, having narrowed it down to a choice of two Broken Link Removed.

When I looked at the door frame yesterday I wasn't sure which, if either, would fit so bought a Broken Link Removed and made myself a pattern in card before going to local shops.

The first shop had a Fiamma but the pattern demonstrated that it would not fit as there is insufficient depth in the frame to take the part through which the screws go.

As luck would have it the second place had just received new stock of the Broken Link Removed model and that turned out to be a perfect fit against the pattern.

Fitting was very easy. Decide where to put the lock, drill holes, squeeze some sealant in, drive home screws, job done :thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Shiffty just ring Glenn or Ian and ask the experts:thumb: but theres no 50% discounts not even for you:cry:

Peter

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I've fitted a Fiamma to the Locker door and reinforced it on the inside with a light steel angle, am seriously thinking of putting a deadlock on the hab door too

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
There's no mention here of an Cat1 alarm? at 'sleepy time' I switch the interior ultra sonics off but leave the exterior alarm on so any funny business outside will set the alarm off...plus our Dethleff's has turn latches fitted to the Hab' door plus micro screech alarms fitted to both cab doors.....failing that I've got my Wather PPK calibre .38 James Bond pistol........:roflmto:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
If someone wanted something in my van when i wasn't in it i would sooner they got in without doing to much damage, so no locks going on my van.I had an alarm fitted by Vanbitz and with all the led's around it any potential arsewipe knows they got to mack some noise (actually a lot of noise):ROFLMAO: .Theres never much to nick in there anyway except maybe a computer of sorts but i would always make it hard to find and unless they had ear defenders on they wouldn't be in there for long.Most of the vehicles now have deadlocks on the front doors i believe so apart from smashing windows and climbing in its pretty hard to open them, I know this is the case on my works van.So surely this makes the tab door the main entrance for an arsewipe and therefore lots of damage ripping the lock off which i imagine would be effortless.As for sleep time i can arm the outside and turn off internal sensors so can walk around as normal ( i don't think i have ever used this facility though as normally to pissed on my return to figure it out) This is just my reckoning though and to be honest i don't give it much of a thought when out and about as we would never relax at the watering hole.:RollEyes:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It's been said often enough that a lock is only there to stop an honest man.

The hope is that visible deterrents send the dishonest man on to somewhere else.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
It would be great if that was the case GJH but these people are not put off by anything.There are gangs walk around with bars and bolt croppers nicking stuff to order.I think on the whole most sites are pretty safe though.Are there many on here that have experienced a break in on a site? Or is it mainly in lay-bys and carparks?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It would be great if that was the case GJH but these people are not put off by anything.There are gangs walk around with bars and bolt croppers nicking stuff to order.I think on the whole most sites are pretty safe though.Are there many on here that have experienced a break in on a site? Or is it mainly in lay-bys and carparks?

We can only guard against the risks we expose ourselves to.

When we are away then, hopefully, the presence of other vans (be it on a site, meet or THS) will deter thieves but if not then they will likely go for vans with less obvious protection.

At home we live in a reasonable suburb but a Transit belonging to a small businessman next door was broken into about 3 months ago and tools were stolen. His van had less obvious protection than our motorhome. It could have been that the thieves were targeting potential contents of a work van rather than a motorhome but who knows?

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
If someone wanted something in my van when i wasn't in it i would sooner they got in without doing to much damage, so no locks going on my van.I had an alarm fitted by Vanbitz and with all the led's around it any potential arsewipe knows they got to mack some noise (actually a lot of noise):ROFLMAO: .Theres never much to nick in there anyway except maybe a computer of sorts but i would always make it hard to find and unless they had ear defenders on they wouldn't be in there for long.Most of the vehicles now have deadlocks on the front doors i believe so apart from smashing windows and climbing in its pretty hard to open them, I know this is the case on my works van.So surely this makes the tab door the main entrance for an arsewipe and therefore lots of damage ripping the lock off which i imagine would be effortless.As for sleep time i can arm the outside and turn off internal sensors so can walk around as normal ( i don't think i have ever used this facility though as normally to pissed on my return to figure it out) This is just my reckoning though and to be honest i don't give it much of a thought when out and about as we would never relax at the watering hole.:RollEyes:

I agree in principle but what about if the scum bags are not interested in what you've got and there interest is to steal your van:RollEyes:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I agree in principle but what about if the scum bags are not interested in what you've got and there interest is to steal your van:RollEyes:

In which case id sooner have the alarm than a lock that could be ripped off with ease.:ROFLMAO:

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
In which case id sooner have the alarm than a lock that could be ripped off with ease.:ROFLMAO:

absolutely!!! plus, I've just bought the 'tracker' device talked about somewhere in another topic

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
absolutely!!! plus, I've just bought the 'tracker' device talked about somewhere in another topic

Ithought id give the tracker a try and for £32 I'm impressed with it.Im going to buy the hard wiring kit they do for it too.

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Ithought id give the tracker a try and for £32 I'm impressed with it.Im going to buy the hard wiring kit they do for it too.

Interesting dont know about the hard wire kit? perhaps you'll let me know if worth purchasing..Tah:RollEyes:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun