Security and migrants

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by OldWomble, Sep 21, 2016.

1. OldWomble

OldWomble Funster

so today's news is some migrants got in via Poole. Well, what a surprise. We've just come back from Caen to Portsmouth and the only sign of security we saw was a French police woman asked if we had any migrants in the van. She never even bothered to look. When we got this end we just showed our passports and drove out the docks. We could have had half a dozen in the garage but nobody looked. It's no wonder they are coming in in their hundreds!!!

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. The Wyman's

The Wyman's Funster

We came back on same route recently and can report in Caen

Six heavily armed soldiers patrolling queue.
    One armed customs officer with dog searching
    Two police, armed, of course, searched all motorhomes and caravans.
    Private security got a ladder out and searched the back of all lorries.

There appeared to be random searches at U.K. Customs of vehicles before passport control.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mack100

Mack100 Funster

We came back through the tunnel this afternoon and I was surprised there were no security checks at all, not even the most perfunctory of glances under the vehicle.
    I checked under the MH myself before we left the pet passport area as this is still not in a secure area and we have history of picking up a visitor there a couple of years back.

4. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

I came back via le Havre and security there was extremely good .van was searched thoroughly .and checked again at Portsmouth. No complaints from me .

5. Spidey

Spidey Funster

We were searched getting on at the hook, i know not any where near Pool but happy that they are doing it. Thought all ports would be the same. Worrying that the tunnel had nothing :(

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

At the tunnel, French customs waved a wand over us through cab windows then waved us on to UK customs.
    Woman at desk took passports and scanned them! Never got off her arse!
    Could have had 6 hidden in van!
    Wonder if UK customs will improve after brexit?
    Somehow i doubt it!

• Like Like x 2
  7. bellabee

bellabee Funster

Came back via Caen 2 weeks ago. An armed officer came on the van and looked in the bathroom and wardrobe - but didn't bother with the garage!

8. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i bet every port in uk as had at least one unofficial immigrant though it every year.
    never mind the ferry ports what about fishing ports or liesure boat ports . nobody checks them . wake up ,its happening .

• Like Like x 3
  9. laser101uk

laser101uk Funster

• Like Like x 2
  10. Rita and Andrew

Rita and Andrew Funster

I'm confused about how refugees would get in to MH's at the Tunnel. We passed through a week ago with no checks or stops but to be honest we were on the motorway until the tunnel slip road and straight to check in. It seemed a secure area although there were no physical check

11. Figaro

Figaro Funster

maybe they don't need to search when they already know how many are in the van

lets hope so !

12. oozzie

oozzie Funster

Got checked twice in Calais on Saturday. Armed police before customs then again after passport control.

13. maxi77

maxi77 Funster

Most vans have reasonable insulation which will make many IR cameras ineffective at seeing inside vans. They will work on soft sided trailers.

14. maxi77

maxi77 Funster

Last time out of Bilbao the GC searched almost every van apparently looking for trafficked children

15. Mack100

Mack100 Funster

It's not just a question of getting in the MH, we unwittingly carried one underneath until the last check point where they look at the gas tanks. He was only a little chap and had wedged himself next to the the fresh water tank, quite a feat considering I can't even get a spare wheel fitted underneath!

He'd obviously got in when we'd taken the dog into the Pet Passport office. They've moved it now to a different building and I'd assumed it was now in the secure area, yesterday I realised it is still outside the secure area and there was a notice advising users to check their vehicles, I didn't see anyone do this.
    One couple saw me looking underneath the MH and asked if I had a problem. "just looking for illegals" said I innocently. They backed away with a horrified look on their faces, I was obviously a nutter!

Our stowaway incident was 2 years ago and they still checked twice and didn't spot him.Considering what happened yesterday they are either super confident about some secret new method of checking or they simply haven't learned from experience.