Securing awning

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Lizi, May 15, 2016.

1. Lizi

Lizi Funster

Hi
    Do you generally use anything to secure your awning? I cannot recall seeing anything on people's awnings when we have been away in France but OH thinks we may need tension straps. I was presuming we would just roll it away if it was windy or stormy. We didn't need it when away at Easter in Scotland! But rather hoping we will need some shade when in France and Germany in July and August. Any advice much appreciated.

2. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

I have used the Peggy Peg system of securing the foot of the awning legs. I have the tie down kit as well, but haven't found the need for this yet. When it becomes too windy, i.e. material is "flappin like a goodun", like most, I roll the awning away.;)

3. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

Been thinking about this myself and had a look see on here for thoughts from the assembled masses, eh, experts. Consensus seems to be good idea.
    Decided I would seriously think about some tie down straps and started looking at the options \ prices.
    Wandering around Aldi today (as you do when other half says stop shoving the trolley so fast, bu**** off and give me peace!) came across a set of four two part ratchet straps with "S" hooks at opposite ends and thought well they might be worth a wee punt given the 60 day money back refund. £9.99 not a lot to splash out to investigate even if I do forget to take them back.
    Just need to move the motorhome now so I can get the awning out and see if they will do.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Clarky

Clarky Funster

I use some simple pegs to secure it during the day from a stray gust of wind.
    Always roll it in at night now after having to get out of bed at 3 am when the wind got up and the whole lot was flapping like mad, even though it was well tied down with straps.

Richard.

5. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Yes .... been there and it wasn't just the awning that was flapping in the breeze.:wink:

Deffinitely use tie-down straps and peg the feet ... otherwise it doesn't take much of a gust to take the whole thing up over the motorhome with all the damage it does.

6. XRN

XRN Funster

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Vanderek

Vanderek Funster

One night in France I didn't fix the awning down - in a thunderstorm it lifted and came down breaking the arm - leg hinge. Another French guy on the site also had damage -next morning he took me in his car to a local camping car dealer, who had massive stocks of parts - they had the part ( he had to order his) drove back and I had it fixed it five minutes! So now never leave it unattended with out my tie down kit

8. MichelleRyall

MichelleRyall Funster

9. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

We use peggy pegs too on the legs but also a tie down kit that we string some lights on..
    Hate that flapping noise so if it starts it's rolled away. Tend to use the inflatable awning now if somewhere for more than a couple of days.

10. DiggerJon

DiggerJon Funster

I find awnings a bit like the hokey cokey - you know "in out, in out, shake it all about" and one of the first rules of winding out an awning on a windless day is that the wind will get up and it will start flapping all over the place! I've also found the awning to be far more useful in rain than sun, as the shade given is never where you want it! I always let one awning leg be shorter than the other to allow rain to run off, a crashing awning at 0300 is a soggy thing to put right in pyjamas!

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

The tie down kit we have, from Lily Pad Leisure, fits into the groove in the Fiamma awning with a tadpole section bit of webbing. I sometimes secure the bottom of the legs as well but the tie down is much better as it secures the whole awning. I wouldn't suggest just tying straps to the top of the legs on a Fiamma as the legs just attach to a plastic bit which is secured by a single bolt, and they can slide out quite easily.

Here it is in use. It was very windy as I recall at this Spanish site at Cabo de Gata which is why it is only wound out a little way and the legs clicked in the fittings on the van.

IMG_20150511_46152.jpg

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  12. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Pray tell, what are these "pyjamas" you speak of.:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  13. DiggerJon

DiggerJon Funster

Night attire for the modest and chilly sleeper!

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I notice that @DBK has fixed the legs of his awning to the side of his van. I am thinking of doing this on my A class, but was a bit put off when the dealer I bought the van from suggested that the legs could jump out of the attachment and scratch the van. Is this a secure way of doing this and if so do Thule sell the necessary attchments please?

15. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

The catches or whatever they are called lock the bottom of the legs so they can't jump out.

• Like Like x 1
  16. jezport

jezport Funster

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

you have probably checked already Peter, .. but in case you haven't ... check where they will actually fit..

the previous owner fitted them on my Hymer.. and one is on the garage door.. :rolleyes:

the other is at the hinge side of the hab door.. so it can't open against the van..

no big deal but not very practical.. so never use them..

• Like Like x 1
  18. Shrimp64

Shrimp64 Funster

We use straps to tie awning down as if you are not at van when the wind gets up.......away it goes, straight over the van-broken awning & damaged van!

19. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

There is just about space to fit them and avoid the doors etc. But I haven't been able to find any for a Thule Omnistore yet.

20. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I have two I don't need.. :LOL:

Also have an Omnistore awning.. for reference.. they look like this..

IMG_0177.jpg

• Like Like x 1