Securing a Tag Axel Trailer (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
An easy way to secure your trailer on site with a good quality security chain and padlock.. :Cool:

DSC_2747.jpg

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Nice idea Jim
You might want to add a locking wheel nut as well as the potential thieves can just remove the two wheels that are chained together, put one of the other two on that side and have it away with only two wheels on it mate....
I know this is a remote possiblity but it could happen....

Keith

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Unsecuring a Tandem Axle Trailor
cropper.jpg
Your weak point is the padlock Jim a hexagon type hardened chain and closed shackle padlock is reqd se pic below

Hexagon_Chain.jpg

I've said it before on here somwhere the little ball that fits in the tow hitch is the dogs dangly bits, combind with a chain its going nowhere
Geo​

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Keith and Geo

Yes, I'm aware or the weaknesses of this, at the end of the day it will only hinder the opportunist thief.
When on site, or stopped for an overnight, I usually chain the trailer drawbar to the towbar..

Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I've said it before on here somwhere the little ball that fits in the tow hitch is the dogs dangly bits, combind with a chain its going nowhere
Geo​

Friend of mine a few years back left his Tabbert caravan at the drop zone in Headcorn Kent, some itinerants stole it at 2 am when he wasnt there by removing the wheel clamp, I dont know how, but the the ball hitch had a big lock on which they couldn't undo, so they just lashed the whole caravan A frame to the back of the car and drove it away,

Someone saw them and followed, they realised they were being followed so they stopped, got out and ran at their follower who was on his own, he managed to reverse fast enough and get out of there way but when he relates the story you really get a feel for how scary it was, , this whole scene was repeated twice, as he continued to follow but from a safer distance. When they realised the follower wasn't going to give in they stopped, unlashed it, took a sledge and an axe from the car and demolished the caravan there on the road and drove off. Index numbers were taken but no one was ever prosecuted.

Moral is, if they want it, they will have it, we've just got to make it as inconvenient as possible.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back