second opinions before i buy stuff please (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Thans a lot Hutchies ive sent you a pm :thumb:

And thanks davibubb i managed to get vanplus up and defo be popping down the road to see them :thumb:

And thanks Mike & Carolyn for the info :thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
we pay for fuel and any tolls on credit card (no extra charges so far) and carry enough euros for everything else. A safe bolted through the floor is pretty secure even if in the open, under a seat maybe or at the bottom of a cupboard.

Last edited:
OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Regarding the 12v kogan tv mentioned does freeview compatible mean its built in or needs a seperate box ?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Regarding the 12v kogan tv mentioned does freeview compatible mean its built in or needs a seperate box ?

built in, so saves an extra box. well it will till the 4g phone signal starts interfering then will need a filter :thumb:

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
nice one Big 1 ive just ordered it bargain even though had to get 12v leed seperate for it :thumb:
off to order one of these next Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
nice one Big 1 ive just ordered it bargain even though had to get 12v leed seperate for it :thumb:
off to order one of these next Link Removed

thats expensive seen them for under £5

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
i saw that but the adapt it 4 was the latest or better model so went for it, prob be a duff 1 knowing my luck hahaha

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
like this
Link Removed

How do they work then?

I can see you plug the black bit in the cigar lighter but I haven't got anything that takes a two pin plug.

Sorry if I am being thick:Doh:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
How do they work then?

I can see you plug the black bit in the cigar lighter but [HI]I haven't got anything that takes a two pin plug.[/HI]

It depends on what the manufacturer has fitted.

Our Autoquest had a socket similar to This One (except ours was square) and we used an Adapt It converter.

All the 12v sockets in the Burstner are DIN (Euro plug) so need a different conversion to enable usage of items fitted with cigar lighter plugs.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
It depends on what the manufacturer has fitted.

Our Autoquest had a socket similar to This One (except ours was square) and we used an Adapt It converter.

All the 12v sockets in the Burstner are DIN (Euro plug) so need a different conversion to enable usage of items fitted with cigar lighter plugs.

I get it now

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
How do they work then?

I can see you plug the black bit in the cigar lighter but I haven't got anything that takes a two pin plug.

The black part is a SOCKET, not a plug
The beige bit is the plug which goes into the TV 12v socket/supply

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We always take a wee bit of cash and a card.
I organised a Post Office credit card a few years ago specifically for our eurotrips.. No charges unless drawing out cash :thumb:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Cards

I have gone for the Caxton card.
Preload in Sterling and use in Euros.
Withdraw or pay and no charges for its use. (not accepted I believe on Peage)
Re-load via text or internet whilst abroad (linked to your debit card and mobile)

http://www.caxtonfx.com/currency-cards/currency-cards-for-you/

But a PO Credit card is also useful as JAWS points out, no charges.

Last year, (my 1st time) I used my debit card for a €2 charge on Peage at Rouen.
My bank charged me £1.25 for its use and 2.75% currency charge.
NOT THIS YEAR THEY WON'T

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Portable battery/car starter packs aren't as economical as spending the same money on a second leisure battery. They won't re-start your van either, unless they're seriously heavy duty.

Re tellies, there are good and bad - our Meos 12v TV was dire, with virtually every feature packing up at some point. We replaced it with a Foehn and Hirsch 12v which is fine - got it off eBay.

As for power consumption - we run TV, sat tuner, pump, LED lights, and charge all our electrical gadgets off the 12v. We don't use the inverter. We have one 110Ah leisure battery and the solar panel's 85W, and we haven't run short of power yet between Spring and Autumn. However I don't run the laptop direct off the 12v, I charge it with the 12v during the middle of the day (or when travelling) and run it off its battery, which you're supposed to do anyway if you want the laptop battery to last.

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
The best card to have is the clarity card, which can be used in all supermarkets abroad, also on all motorways- paying for tolls. fuel also and withdrawing money anywhere.
There are no charges for withdrawing money.
The exchange rate you get is the bank rate and not the tourist rate.
You also get a £5 bonus paid into your account every month if you spend a certain amount of money.
There is a small interest charge per month, but if you pay your account off each month this is minimal.
I believe Caxton cards are good- you load up your card before you go- but you won't get the bank rate.

It is surprising how little you really need when travelling abroad as everything is readily available there.

Have a fantastic holiday.:thumb:

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Thanks again very useful info there.

I dont intend using toll roads if i can avoid it but need card that covers all payments needed incase. And free or cheapest available will be good so i will compare as many as i can.

I hope the 12v socket in my autotrail cheyanne works as never had lead for it till now- just ordered one, when it pulls power from leisure battery will it be ok to run my 300watt inverter through it sometimes if i want to for other higher watt items though i know it will draw more life from hab battery i`d rather that than from engine battery ciggy slot that ive used a few times before ?
I also have a second ciggy socket marked 180watt but not got anything from it when plugged phone charger to it ! is it not used for that or maybe its not connected ?

May get a roll up flat hose do they have to be completely unwound off reel to work ? my ordinary one is kept in a big plastic box taking space up. Ive also seen expandable hoses on tv that shrink back small when you turn water off a mate just got one and likes it so after hes used it a few times i`ll see iff its still any good. what do you use ?

A second battery is appealling but no room next to existing one in a well in floor under seats nearest would be on floor under seats above existing battery , securing it and lead lengths to connect may be a problem and my existing 110ah battery works well so wouldnt like to change it for 2 identical ones as stated on threads for 2 batteries and solar panels ( which i will get eventually )etc, also would existing sargeant mh charger handle 2 batteries instead of original single without other work needed ? or just take car battery charger and charge it when on hook up sometimes and keep it seperate as a backup/power pack. ?

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thanks again very useful info there.

I dont intend using toll roads if i can avoid it but need card that covers all payments needed incase. And free or cheapest available will be good so i will compare as many as i can.

I hope the 12v socket in my autotrail cheyanne works as never had lead for it till now- just ordered one, when it pulls power from leisure battery will it be ok to run my 300watt inverter through it sometimes if i want to for other higher watt items though i know it will draw more life from hab battery i`d rather that than from engine battery ciggy slot that ive used a few times before ?
I also have a second ciggy socket marked 180watt but not got anything from it when plugged phone charger to it ! is it not used for that or maybe its not connected ?

May get a roll up flat hose do they have to be completely unwound off reel to work ? my ordinary one is kept in a big plastic box taking space up. Ive also seen expandable hoses on tv that shrink back small when you turn water off a mate just got one and likes it so after hes used it a few times i`ll see iff its still any good. what do you use ?

A second battery is appealling but no room next to existing one in a well in floor under seats nearest would be on floor under seats above existing battery , securing it and lead lengths to connect may be a problem and my existing 110ah battery works well so wouldnt like to change it for 2 identical ones as stated on threads for 2 batteries and solar panels ( which i will get eventually )etc, also would existing sargeant mh charger handle 2 batteries instead of original single without other work needed ? or just take car battery charger and charge it when on hook up sometimes and keep it seperate as a backup/power pack. ?

Where do we start::bigsmile:
Cards , another big benefit is that if you get a prepaid card stolen you only stand
To lose the money on it they don't get your bank details.
12v socket, maybe not good enough for inverter, better wired straight to battery through a fuse. Think the 180 socket only works when engine is running. I got a double cig lighter thingy and wired it into the back of the 2pin one so now have both.
Hose flat have to be all unrolled , google the other, not good reports, a good food grade hose is the best, needn't be too long as you can get close to most taps
Battery, wouldn't bother getting another battery unless you find you really can't manage with one, dear to buy and extra weight, but if you did shouldn't make any difference to your charger.

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Sounds like solar panel is best way to go if off the grid for a while, then genny second best .

Inverter came with croc clips so i can add fuse in line and clamp on battery do you use spade fuses or glass with a mount for them along cable and i assume size of fuse needed written on inverter ?

180 watt second ciggy socket didnt work with engine running so i will look see if connected may put a perminant live to it if not so can use any time. The other main one works ok but only with ignition on as normal i suppose ?

On some sites here you can plug long tv arial cable into site socket at hook up point to get channels . Do they have same points in french sites ?

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
the second power socket on the dash is fused separate to the other one. i cant remember the fuse number, but as i recall it is listed wrong in the handbook. check continuity of all the fuses, dont rely on a visual check. catches loads of people out that one

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
part 3

Hi again part 3 :Smile:

Mifi Huawei 3G http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...ords=mifi+unlocked&sprefix=mifi,computers,246
just checking i can put my 3sim from my dongle in it and payg as i do with dongle, and can later put french sim in it for same ?
Also its unlocked i assume thats a good thing if i want other companies sims in it not just 3`s ?
What is the min spec needed for a good mifi and is 3G going to be affected when 4G comes out fully ?

Nice easy one ::bigsmile: Torches loads to choose from any great ones at nice price you have come accross ?

Where can i get new graphics/decals for side of my autotrail cheyanne ? after a nasty ding wednesday the repairers are`nt to sure so to help speed things up im trying to source some as back up.
I tried autotrail and they said to old 2004 ! gave e mail for someone but no reply yet and tried couple of obvious ones but cant get them quickly . anyone ?

Foot pumps heavy duty saw mixed reviews on amazon n halfords any great ones about ?

Do my little dogs need muzzles to comply with any rules on dover - calais ferry or over there ?

Best deals on silver screens good ones ?

Thats all for now :Smile: thanks for looking and any helpful replies :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back