Dec 17, 2011
Reading
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630g
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi Guy's

I've started the installation of the solar panels etc. installing a Victron system which I have to say is top quality.

I have installed the charge controller, monitor and a Victon battery monitor, shunt etc etc, wire coming out of my ears lol, taken my time and installed it properly though.

I currently have a 75ah battery under the drivers seat (Swift Sundance 630G 2004). I want to change this battery and add another. I am aware that I need to keep them the same size amp hour wise and have been advised that the passenger seat would be an ideal place to install, however there is plenty of space under the rear seats (storage area).

So my question is should I install under the front passenger seat or rear seat.

Also is it correct to keep the amp hour rating the same for both batteries?

I have noticed that the wiring running from the main leasure battery is only small, circa 4mm and currents has a 20amp fuse (I believe), I'm going to downrate the fuse to a 10 or 15amp as the cable rating will only be around 17amps. The solar panels will only kick around 9 amps so the cabling I have installed (6mm from a new fuse board to the batteries, 4mm connecting to the charge controller to the fuse board, which is around 8 inches from the fuse board) I will also rate the fuses at 10-15amps.

Any advice will be helpful ;)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
you need to bear in mind that the longer the cable run to the batteries (and from battery to accessory rtc) should be kept as short as is practically possible. this is due to voltage drop over the length of the wire and any connections in it. You will therefore be wasting a percentage of the solar panel output

positioning the batteries at the rear of the van would mean that they are at the furthest point from the alternator to charge as well

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Hi
IMO I would try keep the weight forward, towards the front wheels,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
parallel connected batteries can be of any mixed size......90ah plus 75ah plus 110ah.

this will make one big 275ah 12v battery in three separate casings but the charger only sees it as one battery.

a battery will only accept its max capacity but the higher rated ones will continue to charge until they are all full.

picture it like this.......

a water jug (75ah battery) in a washing up bowl (90ah) in a sink (110ah).
start by filling the jug, when full it will overflow into the bowl, when that is full it will overflow into the sink until that is also full....but the first two will not fill any more than full.

age and condition WILL make a difference though

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
I put another one on our Sundance, under the passenger seat. Undo the four torx drives, lift the seat off, then there is plenty of room to work. The wires can be sleeved and slip under the "step" bit from the hab area just level with the back of the seats. Worked well enough for me.
Its always worht doing a "measure up" as well, see how many days you can go on, one..then two batteries, then youll know if you want toadd more in tne future...you could use the garage for this, running a feed direct from the charger to anothet bank.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back