Seatbelts

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Jerseycol, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Jerseycol

Jerseycol Funster

Hi Everyone.
    Just got my Lovley Fiat Ducato eldiss autoking A class 4 berth Mh.
    can someone help.
    what is the ruling of seatbelts in the back this has not got any,
    Being a 20yo model.
    Thanks
    Jerseycol:BigGrin:

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

If there is a seat belt it must be used. If not, then you hope you don't have a shunt.

3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

4. mgwalker74

mgwalker74 Deleted User

Hi,
    If you give me your email I will send you a word Doc that was sent to me from the Dep Of Transport. I too, have an older model and don't have seat belts fitted in the back. I keep this document in my 94 VW Holdsworth Valentine, just incase a promblem arises.

Mgwalker

5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi

I am interested in seeing it, I'm sure it would interest others too, maybe you could upload onto Fun downloads section ?

cheers

Jim

6. Elvis

Elvis Read Only Funster

not retrospective

As I understand it, the law is not retrospective so it only applies to models made after the law came in, which I think was 2007/8 (not 100% sure when) so if your model is older,then you don't need them. :Smile:

7. savantuk

savantuk Read Only Funster

Hi,

As a former police officer, I can state that for adults, if a seat belt is not fitted, then there is no requirement to wear one, no matter what the age of the vehicle.

With children however, the rules are entirely different, and quite complicated, and it is difficult, even with a copy of the relevant legislation, to decide what is actually necessary.

Bottom line is, if you intend to carry a baby, or a young child, then a forward facing belted seat must be used in conjunction with a child seat, with no exceptions.

Further, I have seen pics of a child seat fitted to a forward facing bench seat, where the seat has come loose, due to the inability of the caravan seat to support the weight of child seat and child. The caravan seat is too soft, and compresses, effectively lengthening the seatbelt due to centrifugal force when cornering, or G force when braking. It would be better if the caravan seat is laid aside temporarily, and that the child seat is fitted onto the seat base.

I hope this helps.

8. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i always thought m,homes PRE new regs. were seat belt exempt . if they are exempt then no one needs a seat belt.(not the front i should have said.)in the living area. the front outer seats need a belt.

9. savantuk

savantuk Read Only Funster

Sorry, you're wrong. Babies and infants under 3 MUST be carried in a child seat.

From the DFT:

Any child under 3 MUST have a proper car seat, and seat belt, and any child up to 12 Must have a proper car seat, if a belt is used, since July 2006.

Children 3 years and over can only travel in the back of a vehicle without seat belts (e.g. a classic car) and those under 3 years cannot be carried at all.

Child from 3rd birthday up to 135cms in height (approx 4'5") (or 12th birthday, whichever they reach first) - Correct child restraint must be used where seat belts fitted. Must use adult belt in rear seat if correct child restraint not available.

Motor caravans are not exempt, even by age if the children are under 3.

10. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

And beware of the manufacturers small print,varies from manf and model to model
    Not all seats are designated for use when traveling:Eeek:
    so fitting a child retraint to one of those is to be avioded also
    Geo

11. olley

olley Funster

Why does it have to be forward facing? Why can't I use the rear facing dinette seat, it seems safer to me.

Olley

12. jennymaywright

jennymaywright Read Only Funster

Seat belts

Dear MG Walker

Just picked up this thread as we too have just acquired an older motorhome. Could I be cheeky and ask if you could email me the DOT document? My email address is: jennyanddave@clun1.plus.com Many thanks in anticipation.

Jenny

13. david price

david price Read Only Funster

Vehicles reg from oct 07 must have seatbelts for people in the back.
    Before this date,if belts fitted then should be worn,but you can carry more people than belts.
    For children see dougs post.
    Dave

14. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

An EU Directive (2005/40/EC) on the installation of seat belts required that from 20 October 2007 new vehicles have to have seat belts fitted on all seats except those seats intended solely for use when the vehicle is stationary.
    The original advice given to us by the DfT was that, where seat belts are fitted, from May 2009, the seat belt wearing Directive would prevent more passengers being carried than there are seat belts in the rear of vehicles. This would have meant that from May 2009, in any vehicle of whatever age, where seat belts are fitted in the rear, more passengers may not be carried in the rear than there are seat belts available.
    They now tell us:
    "There will be no change in the regulations in May - our lawyers tell us that is not necessary because the existing regulations already adequately deal with the requirements of the seat belt wearing Directive. Our earlier view that we would need to change the regulations was mistaken."
    "Seat belt wearing regulations cannot apply in seats where seat belts are not fitted. Therefore there can be no specific prohibition on using such seats even if other seats in the rear of the vehicle have seat belts fitted. Specifically, the regulations exempt passengers from using a seat belt if a seat belt is not "available". If all the seats with belts are already occupied, then seat belts are clearly not "available" and the remaining passengers can use the seats without belts."

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  15. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I don't know the legal answer to that, but when I had a small child I fitted a standard child seat to a rear facing dinette seat in my Kon-Tiki using a steel frame within the seat base bolted through the floor which seemed very safe.
    Some on the forum may have met the small child at Lincoln, he is now 6ft 8" :Eeek:

16. madbluemad

madbluemad

Mine is licenced to carry six people. Driver. Front Seat Passenger and Four Passengers in the habitation area, two facing forward and two facing to the rear.

I have a sofa with a big red label over it which says "This Is A Two Passenger Seat".

The DVLA however have not allowed the sofa to be used for carrying passesngers. I'm sure its all on the V5.

I think that if I had some serious query regarding passenger seats the best people to speak to would be the DVLA, however dont speak to them unless you absolutley have to.

Jim
    :Smile:

17. vwalan

vwalan Funster

madblue ,i would say dvla never make those decisions .usually they work on what you tell them. side facing seats dont require belts and are very frowned on. a motor home untill 2007 only needed seat belts on driver n outer passenger in front so i take it somrbody told them its 6 seater when they could have said 6. where does the licence for 6 come in ?cheers alan.

18. madbluemad

madbluemad

Hi Alan

Ive seen the reference to 6 passenger seats on the vehicle docs somewhere, I had an idea that it was on the V5 , I will have a look tonight.

When I imported the rv from the states the DVLA woudnt take my word for anything. On top of providing them with all of the required documentation they made me take it to a DVLA depot where they inspected it.

You may well be correct and they have just written down what they were told but I'll check and see where it says "licenced for 6 passengers" or words to that effect even if its only because its annoying me know that I cant remember where Ive seen it.

Cheers
    Jim

19. vwalan

vwalan Funster

madblue .i would send the log book off and say its 8 seats . up to you .better to have more seats than necc than be in trouble. its s1 on the log book . cheers alan.

20. madbluemad

madbluemad

Thanks Alan, I may do that.

I have never used the sofa as a passenger seat and woudnt be very keen to do so but its a thought.

Jim