SeatBelt laws

Discussion in 'Swift Motorhomes' started by Toxicbunny, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Toxicbunny

Toxicbunny Funster

I recently purchased a Swift Suntor with the U shaped lounge. It has two seatbelts at the front no rear seatbelts. I was told we require no rear seatbelts? Its a 2004 model. Can someone guide me to the relevant legislation ?
    Ive been on a few forums where some people are saying I do need them some saying I don't need rear sealtbelts. If someone could guide me to the seatbelt law regards motorhomes of this date with U shaped lounge please.

2. Mel

Mel Funster

Welcome to Fun

3. Old Soldier

Old Soldier Funster

Hi.
    You will probably get differing opinions on here too.
    I have a 2000 Swift Gazelle with a U shaped lounge. Same situation, only two belted seats. My understanding is that the belted seats Must bre used first but other seats can be also used if carrying more than two passengers. I have, and do carry passengers when we go for days out and take even more care with my driving when they are in the back. Try searching this site, I expect you will find other threads on the subject.

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Old Soldier

Old Soldier Funster

Thanks Jim, I read that some time ago and understand all the points made.
    Just a thought, and not wishing to get into any arguments but since I retired a couple of years ago I have been using public transport ( buses) a lot more. I don't remember travelling in one which had passenger seat belts fitted, and in addition to seated passengers they can also carry standing passengers.
    Not a lot of difference except they can carry more passengers.
    Pete

6. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

You should also check your V5. Item S1 in section 4 shows the number of travelling seats you have.

You cannot, ever, for any reason, whether you have seat belts or not, carry more people than this including the driver.

• Like Like x 1
  7. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

You are expecting the law to be logical? :)
    But in defence of the law you don't generally have seat belts on trains either. The argument might be trains and buses are driven by trained professionals who have to pass a "good character" test I seem to recall so might be expected to crash less often than the typical vehicle driven by Joe Soap. :):):)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Old Soldier

Old Soldier Funster

Could be but having driven coaches, and buses I can assure you that not all drivers are of an equally high standard!! During many years in the forces I taught many new drivers and for over 12 years I was a QTO ( Qualified Testing Officer) , a driving examiner so I'm confident I drive well, it's all those other idiots I'm scared of!!
    Just checked my V5 and it is blank on seat numbers. Probably thre van is too old. Perhaps it's one of those new fangled Google driverless vehicles! !:giggler:

• Like Like x 1
  9. MH 55 FUN

MH 55 FUN Funster

Be aware that the V5 is not always accurate, our newly purchased 2010 4 berth Autoquest is only listed as having 2 travelling seats - yet it's fitted with 4 with seatbelts by Elddis from new & is something we have brought to DVLA's attention.

• Like Like x 1
  10. NickNic

Probably not the DVLA's fault.

If Autoquest originally registered it as having 2 travelling seats then legally that's what you have, even if it was an honest mistake on their part.

If you bought it new what does the Certificate of Conformity say?

The number of seatbelts is irrelevant - you could have fitted them yourself for all the DVLA know.

11. Old Soldier

Old Soldier Funster

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. MH 55 FUN

MH 55 FUN Funster

We didn't buy it new so no idea about the C of C, the half dinette directly behind the drivers seat has two forward facing seats with factory fitted seatbelts with an original sticker designating them as travelling seats - so as far as I'm concerned the DVLA has made a mistake - we'll see what they say as I'm awaiting a reply.

• Like Like x 1
  13. NickNic

Obviously they are travelling seats so yes, a mistake has obviously been made somewhere but don't automatically assume it's on the part of the DVLA. When the dealer initially registers the vehicle they fill in a form to send to the DVLA with all the important information about the vehicle on it. The V5 is generated based on the information on this form. The number of travelling seats is one of the things that has to be declared on the form. If some numpty at the dealers put 2 in that box instead of 4 then that's the number the DVLA will give you on the V5.

Good luck getting it sorted either way (y)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. MH 55 FUN

MH 55 FUN Funster

After reading this I'm 100% confident that upon inspection the DVLA will realise an error has been made & reclassify the vehicle as a proper 4 seater.
    This is, after all, why it's a popular MH as it's a genuine medium sized 4 berth MH with 4 belted & legal seats in this layout.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Toxicbunny

Toxicbunny Funster

I was told by the dealer I did not need rear seatbelts the kids could sit side facing.

16. NickNic

The dealer has lied to you.

Nobody can travel in side facing seats.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Toxicbunny

Toxicbunny Funster

I realise that now but I have no seat belts on the rear facing seats either. Im wondering how or where we can get them fitted

18. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

The very same reason why there are so many 3500kg plus motorhomes registered as PLG vehicles.
    Ignorant or unscrupulous dealers

19. NickNic

You won't be able to get them fitted unless there are proper anchor points in place to fit them to. If the converter never intended for those seats to be travelling ones then it probably won't have those anchor points.

If the anchor points are there then the seat belts will need to be professionally fitted and the DVLA will require quite a bit of documentation before they change the registration.

You should probably get some advice from a Swift dealer.

20. NickNic

I did wonder if an unscrupulous dealer, knowing that a particular model had a weight/payload problem would deliberately register it with 2 travelling seats because they know that carrying 4 people would put it overweight.

Not suggesting that's what has happened here. Just wondering in general.