Seat Belts Interesting Stuff

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Geo, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Courtesy of Caravan Guard
    See side facing seat rules too
    HERE

• Like Like x 6
  2. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

I just read that as well.

When I read the bit about side facing seats I thought "What bout buses?" but then read on that certain classes of vehicle are exempt. I still don't use side facing seats on buses though, think they are dangerous.

3. calion

calion

Just watch at school coming out time for mothers putting small children in front seats with no booster, or more kids than seatbelts elsewhere in the car. They don't seem to care.

4. mpdcymru

mpdcymru Funster

Perhaps the clearest explanation of seat belts in general and side facing seats I have come accross.

5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

And putting children in the back of hatchbacks where there aren't even seats, let alone belts (n)

6. calion

calion

I noticed my neighbour had a flat tyre, so knocked on her door to make her aware as I knew she would be going to collect her 3 yr old from nursery school. She said "thanks for telling me, it would have been dangerous to drive with it like that", but when I pointed out that it was so bald it made Alf Garnett look like a long haired yobbo, she just said "oh I know it needs a new tyre, they told me that when it had its MOT". She also has a new baby and had been using the car all that time! It has been changed now.

7. carolyn

carolyn Funster

It is so unbelievably irresponsible. My sister has years of infertility before eventual success and she always said that it wasn't other people having babies that upset her, it was those that did not strap their children in. She felt they didn't deserve them.

8. scousebird

scousebird Funster

We have known Tim Booth for years, as he caravanned he became the police guru on all things caravan related, first met him on a rally in France. Very knowledgeable man.

9. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

But what about MH with a MIRO in excess of 2540Kg - ie most of them?

10. mpdcymru

mpdcymru Funster

the Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986 refer to a "wheeled motor vehicle" and does not discuss weight.

Regulation 46 of the above requires all these vehicles to have "seat belt anchorage points" if they were constructed after 1 January 1965. reg 47 goes on to say that these vehicles must have seat belts for the drivers seat and certain other "specified seats" if the vehicle was manufactured after 1 April 1981. There are many exemption tracked vehicles tracctors etc but the two main ones are LGVs and PSVs both of which are covered elsewhere.

The MIRO (Mass in Running Order" figure is not used in much legislation. Legislation generally considers "maximum gross or maximum train weight" or, in the case of driver licensing, "Maximum Authorised Mass" (MAM).