Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Just been to look at a change of MH.

Visit at Chelston MH`s and we spotted a Autotrail Cheyenne ,got to talk numbers then it seems we are not allowed to own it:mad:
Kids aged at 4 and 6 are not allowed to sit in side seats --only forward facing of which there are none.

I thought that lap strap side seats were ok .:eek:

We have used them on our Autotrail scout for years because I thought if it was made before 2008 it was ok.:whistle:

Shame, we want a front diner area ,kitchen aft of the hab door , rear bed / loo.
Our layout we have now means that when all sat at the table and using cooker/hob /micro,we are all in each others way-- and we like a Autotrail or Bessacar:cry:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you put aside the legalities and just consider safety you wouldn't want your kids in side facing seats, whatever arrangement of seat belts it had. The problem is without head restraints their heads are totally unsupported in a crash.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Personally I would never have bought a MH that did not have proper 3-point rear seat belts in forward facing seats if I had kids in the first place but I appreciate that people aren't always aware of the dangers of side facing seats with/without belts.

It looks like you need to seriously re-think using your current MH and what you can safely change to, so that your kids always travel safely.

In the meantime, please STOP using the side lap restraints though - they can cause horrendous internal injuries in an accident as the human body is not meant to 'bend' sideways!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As an aside to this, well done to Chelstons for 'not' just selling a motorhome which would be unsafe for the new owners! 10 out of 10 for them! (y)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Have you thought about one like ours. A ci mizar gtl living top class.
We bought one just like this (06) then had it completely refoamed and upholstered . In black / silver grey. Making it look bang uptodate.
We sleep in the over cab king size bed. Loads of space.
2 kids in the bunks , And the eldest on the L shape. Which makes into a double if needed. Loads of room , for a family.
We are going to downsize , now there's just 2 of us. To a PVC. So we can go off grid more , in out of the way wild places. The Hebrides trip we've just been on , has made us want to do the change a lot sooner than we were going to. See our album.
So ours will be up for sale eventually. Though Ralph's wanting to hang on to it till the PVC is done so we can still get away .
Never been a bit of bother. 4 new tyres and cambelt too this year.

DJSteward

Free Member
Feb 5, 2014
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
We have an Autotrail Cheyenne 840D.

It has the factory option of two travelling seats in the lounge. An section tacked onto the side facing seating gives an L shape and allows two forward facing belted seats. We didn't want a full dinette as we wanted to be able to lounge about!

A section of the side seat folds away to give the leg space for the travelling seats.
Have a look at an Autotrail brochure and it will give all the various seating options that have been available.

Sadly the seating cannot be altered after market, it must have been specified from the factory.

We spent a while finding one with the extra seats and an over cab.

Good luck

David

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
As an aside to this, well done to Chelstons for 'not' just selling a motorhome which would be unsafe for the new owners! 10 out of 10 for them! (y)

There is another dealer in the East Midlands, who I won't name, that did the exact opposite to us. So again well done to Chelstons

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
There is another dealer in the East Midlands, who I won't name, that did the exact opposite to us. So again well done to Chelstons

Hmm bet I can guess who - we were given duff info last week which may have got us in a bit of a pickle. Shocked really that they can get away with it

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Thank you Jim. A comprehensive and detailed article.

We were recently told at a show by a dealer who will remain nameless that it was not a requirement to have designated travel seats with seat belts in motorhomes. We walked away.

OP
OP
J
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I can`t belive that a 6 birth tag axle motorhome as of this can only officially carry x2 peopleo_O

Attachments

• Cheyenne-int.jpg
    Cheyenne-int.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 22

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
This is what we're hitting and we only need 1 extra travel seat - there's an unbelievable number of m/h in this category :crying1:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
We searched long and hard to find 6 x 3 point seat belts, very few around and even most of the 3.5t+ vans are only 4 x 3 point.

Our first van had 4 x 3 point and 2 x lap (foward facing) and this became a key criteria in the search for the current van.

Good luck in your search

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back