Seat belt advice

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by colsar, Nov 6, 2013.

1. colsar

colsar Read Only Funster

I have just bought my first moter home, it is based on a Citroen relay, 2 seats with belts in the cab, but have 4 seats in the back (which make up the bed) 1/ can i travel with passengers on these seats without belts?
    2/ The seats are not forward facing, is it possible to fit belts to these seats?:Confused:

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

if belts are fitted, in this case not, then they must be used.

rear facing seats dont need belts anyway and wont do a lot in an accident.

3. estcres

estcres Read Only Funster

If they are side facing in the rear they don't have the strength for Seat Belt fixings.

As far as I am aware only forward facing seats should have seat belts fitted.

4. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

seat belts are something of a concern in some vans. if fitted they must be used but if not, then its a grey area. retro fitting is not usually possible as it requires a steel framework bolted through the chassis.

if travelling with a child, they must have priority over the seat belts even the cab passenger seat. without seatbelts you shouldnt carry toddlers in car seats

its all ok until you're involved in an accident and having to explain why your passengers have been injured/killed

5. Phill D

Phill D

there is much confusion and debate over this.. :Doh:

basically in the UK ; if a belt is fitted it must be worn. any passenger under the age of 12 yrs is the direct responsibility of the driver and must be belted and depending on size or age must be in a dedicated child / booster seat.
    passengers over the age of 12 as far as i know a self responsible for belting up if one is available. outside UK ?

seat belts should not be fitted to side facing seats. there are other threads on this if you use the search facility on the forum.

good luck.

and Welcome

6. FULL TIMER

FULL TIMER Read Only Funster

I think you will also find that vehicles registered after October 2007 any passenger seats in the habitation area must be designated as such and fitted with seatbelts I think the seats also have to meet a certain standard, I think that if there are no such seats then you can't carry passengers, can't remember all the details but I'm sure Jim once had a link to an article about it on here somewhere