Free Member
Apr 2, 2015
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Newie but caravaned 30 years
Have been reading on the forum about the aires in France and the various web sites to search for them and they sound very appealing and useful. This has been my first year as a MHmer and I intend to do a bit of touring in France next year. My question is what is the best way to search for the Aires once in France as my old iphones screen is so small and the writing is difficult to read. I have a tablet that has to be connected wi fi so cannot be used whilst touring, so I wondered how most people managed and what they used.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
You can get aires directories from Vicarious books. They're called All the Aires but we found that they don't include all of them - for that we use Campercontact which is online.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
For books you can buy the "all the aires" which should be titled "some of the aires" or,

As soon as you get into france, enter an Auchan (or similar) supermarket and purchase the French guide "aires du camping car" which contains more of them.

Get yourself a mifi and three data sim and you'll be able to use your tablet to access Link Removed

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
These people are great. Link Removed
If you become a member you can get the aires and a number of campsites on a USB stick, so you don't need Internet connection.

We are members and the information that they provide makes a trip to France all the more enjoyable.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Have been reading on the forum about the aires in France and the various web sites to search for them and they sound very appealing and useful. This has been my first year as a MHmer and I intend to do a bit of touring in France next year. My question is what is the best way to search for the Aires once in France as my old iphones screen is so small and the writing is difficult to read. I have a tablet that has to be connected wi fi so cannot be used whilst touring, so I wondered how most people managed and what they used.

I have a netbook with Microsoft Autoroute into which I have imported the aires POIs and when I want to see up to date specifics regarding an aire I use my tablet, connecting to the internet via a mifi with Three data SIM and use the Aires Campingcar-Infos Free App. In December I will buy a copy of Camperstop Europe 2016 to supplement the aires data.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

no need for wifi if you download the offline maps. easiest way is just load a cheap satnav with all the free POI sets of Aires and sites available

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The campercontact app can use downloaded maps so it works without an internet connection. The maps are not as good as the online ones but they are useable.

I can only suggest trying a few apps and see which one you like but I would still get the aires books as they work off line and don't need charging!

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If your iPhone has a hot spot use that and tether your tablet to it.

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
If you are on three network data access is included worldwide with no extra charges.

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
1) Buy the 'All the Aires' books - you could perhaps wait until the next issue comes out in 2016!
2) While you are at home and on wifi download Maps.me to your tablet and then download all the French maps (and anywhere else you are going).
3) Sign up with searchforsites and upload some reviews of places where you have stayed this year. Then go to their download area and download the POI files to your tablet and open them with Maps.me
... that's probably all you will need!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I know everybody is offering all sorts of technical assistance to the OP here - and I admit to using much of it too.

However when looking for a particular aire, we've also usually found a signpost somewhere along the way, be it at the entrance to a village/small town or on various information signposts in the larger towns. We've even found a couple of aires that aren't listed anywhere. There's hundreds of them, all over the place.

My point is, keep your eyes open!

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I know everybody is offering all sorts of technical assistance to the OP here - and I admit to using much of it too.

However when looking for a particular aire, we've also usually found a signpost somewhere along the way, be it at the entrance to a village/small town or on various information signposts in the larger towns. We've even found a couple of aires that aren't listed anywhere. There's hundreds of them, all over the place.

My point is, keep your eyes open!
Yes quite agree use the books etc but there are usually signs on the road.

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
One of the great things about aires is the freedom; often you'll be heading for one and see a nice place and just pull in!

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Trevtherev,
I use these site's before I go to France for my research on ones I think would suit me best on my route.
Link Removed
also http://www.searchforsites.co.uk/
and Link Removed
I also while I'm away in France , use a mifi on the 3 network so mostly have wifi when I want it.
so I can look up the various website , if my chosen aire is full or not suitable.
I also have a decent satnav & put in the gps co-ordinates for which ever aire I'm headed.
But as said before just keep your eyes open there's sign's like this
Link Removed

Terry FIDGET

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
There is nothing easier than finding an Aire on the Camper Contact app, down loaded to the Tom Tom and driving straight to it.

You might find it in the All the Aires books (£30!!) and have a look what its like first.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I use the free POI file for TomTom from the CampingCar-Infos website, but it's best used in conjunction with their free phone app or a few web searches at home for additional info before you set off.

OP
OP
T

trevtherev

Free Member
Apr 2, 2015
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Newie but caravaned 30 years
Thanks for all the replies. I have bought a mifi and a cheap card to familiarise myself with the thing, been on several of the web sites advised and I feel better equipped for a trip next year. Thanks again.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
I have several list in the POI section of my satnav.
One is my personal list of Aires I have been to before and one I have had recommended.
I have the France POI file from Camping Contact. Its a couple of years old now, but I have split it into two list one marked as "motorhome only" and the rest.
Recently I have added the Germany and Spain files from CampingContact.

For armchair searching before we go I use https://www.aire-service-camping-car-panoramique.fr/ Its easy to move from one aire to a neighboring one to see what available in a particular area.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
We always use a combination of the free POI from camping car info's and Camingcar magazines Aires book. Using the POI ensures we will not miss any new Aires as we always download just before departure. We use the book to see if there are Aires in the areas we want to visit and although the book is written in French it is easy to understand and is very comprehensive.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Just sent my cousin off with the new 2016 version of "all the aires" which is 25 bicker off amazon in a4 and is divided into 2 books (north and south France ) also downloaded the off line version of camper contact for £4.60. So for 30 quid they can easily go a year in France without paying for a thing to do with fees or water if they want. My last 3 months in France total less than a tenner with those 2 sources

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back