Searching for Summer - and Port Wine

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Robert Clark, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Don't know what it's been like where you are, but so far the summer in Sunny Sussex has been a non starter. Its been the wettest June since records began and there has been almost no sun to speak of.
    The last few days have seen thunder storms and rain of almost biblical proportions, so we've decided to head south in search of Summer.

I've had a close eye on the weather forecast across Europe and have decide to head to Portugal, and in particular the Douro Valley in the north of the country.

The weather forecast is wall to wall sunshine, which is great, cos Mrs C doesn't 'do' rain.

[​IMG]

The Douro Valley runs across Portugal and ends in Porto. It's a one of Portugal's top wine producing regions. We're looking forward to a few tasting sessions along the way, in particular I'd like to find a decent bottle of Port for Christmas.

[​IMG]

For the 'foodies' , we'll be looking out for the best culinary delights that Portugal has to offer. In particular the Black Pork, which we enjoyed so much on our trip to south of the country last March.

[​IMG]

We're planing to stay at Aires, or wild camp and any suggestions for possible stops along the Douro valley would be appreciated!

Bye for now!

• Like Like x 10
  2. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

Yay the adventure begins!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

I echo that, safe journeys, happy days, and dont run out of internet/picture coverage

• Like Like x 1
  4. Robert Clark

Don't worry, I've still got one of @JJ's excellent 10 days unlimited internet sim cards - saved it from our last trip.
    Just need to remember where I put it

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. scousebird

scousebird Funster

Yay, the smiley peeps are off again. Have fun. :sun::drinks:

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. BMStewart2004

BMStewart2004 Funster

Better take some extra pennies, the pound has bombed on the market! Looks like my import is downsizing!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. The Happy Hooker

The Happy Hooker Funster

Looking forward to vicariously enjoying your foodie outings :)

• Like Like x 4
  8. Robert Clark

Mrs C is a professional shopper and topped her Euro card up in anticipation

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  9. BMStewart2004

BMStewart2004 Funster

Good girl!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi. "Pinhao Douro river Portugal"
    We went and stayed in a hotel for a couple of nights,near Pinhao on the river Douro. In Pinhao there are several places you could stay overnight,without charge,one being in a largish car park where river cruise boats ply their trade from,mini trips and trips down to Porto with or without,visits to Port wine wharehouses.In season,there are trains that do the trip on a regular basis.
    If you are coming down river,with the river on your right,turn right,over the bridge into into Pinhao,crossing the river,from memory,turn left when over the bridge,jingle along there,past the car park and the river boat moorings it gets a bit narrow,and a road goes sharply to the left, UNDER a lowish bridge (Single decker coach went under it,BUT check height). This will bring you out with the river on your left,going down stream,there is a bar/restaurant there,with ample parking opposite to get your heads down.
    If you are Pooter savvy,you can Google earth ? and check if i have got it right.
    We came up to Peso da Regua,and drove up the south bank of the river,so if you do this..... Work it out....LOL!!
    Enjoy the area,it is a very peacefull area,we will go again,this time in the m/home,as it is only a couple of hours from where we live.
    Tea Bag

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

I can recommend the tour of Sandemans in Oporto - many others are available! There are plenty of shops on the quayside where you can buy bottles of good port at reasonable prices - just stay away from the obvious tourist traps. We bought at one of the shops in the warehouse area and at a supermarket. Because we were on a cruise it was put into store on the ship so we weren't able to sample and buy more of the types we liked until we got back to the UK.

The tram system is brilliant and cheap. You can use the self service machines at the stops / stations (there is an English language button). A day ticket is exceptional value. Just remember to validate your ticket before you board and when you change lines - again at a machine that "reads" your ticket.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  12. The Wino

The Wino Funster

No its Fonseca for me get a late bottled vintage but stand it for a few days and decant before drinking or if you like the style but not the price a crusted port (about £18 in the UK) . It depends what style of port you like very full bodied

• Like Like x 2
  13. Fenman

Fenman Funster

Whoops. Very nearly missed the beginning of this one. Noted the mention on Scout's thread.
    Have a good journey. I do love a good port with a nice bit of stilton at Christmas.
    Must investigate what else can be done with it - apart from sipping and sipping once again.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Robert Clark

Thanks for tip, I've added it to our route! Will post some pics when we get there

• Like Like x 2
  15. Robert Clark

Made it through the tunnel without incident, except for Mrs C being drawn to the Duty Free Shop (which isn't Duty Free).

Managed to escape with most of my money intact - I've developed a number of clever purchase avoidance strategies over the years and today's one worked a treat - well almost.

Have arrived at our first overnight stop in Mesnieres en Bray, (Campercontact 14047) a lovely free Aire backing onto open fields.

Having a modest supper en-van, a lovely Wild Boar ragu we picked up on our last trip to Tuscany

image.jpeg

Washed down with a nice bottle of red wine that we purchased up from a winery in Bordeaux that we stayed at.

image.jpeg

The sun is shining so Mrs C has got a smile on her face - so all is good in the world.

An early start tomorrow as we continue our journey south.

• Like Like x 12
  16. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

There's a train which runs up the Douro Valley. We planned to do a bit of it last year before bad weather deflected us into Spain. :) There was a TV programme which featured it and apparently it gives the best views of the valley.

• Like Like x 1
  17. scousebird

scousebird Funster

Those smiles are back :D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Robert Clark

We're planning to catch the train from Peso da Regua to Porto - I'm not keen on crowds and thought catching the train into Poto for the day would be better than staying there.
    There is a Steam tourist train as I understand, or a cheaper scheduled service on the same line. Will post pics and details when we get there.
    Very much enjoying your trip - thank you !

• Like Like x 6
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. alfandM

alfandM Funster

Nice to see your back on your travels enjoy,regards AlfandM

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. garjanco

garjanco Funster

Enjoy your trip Port warehouses sound good
    Look forward to following your post as usual
    Nice to see both of you with big smiles on your faces
    Enjoy enjoy enjoy