Searching for my first motorhome but I can't find.... (1 Viewer)

Blackcurrant-Jam

Free Member
May 3, 2010
Funster No
....a second hand hightop with an end lounge/bed

Hi All
I am new here and hope that someone may be able to help me. I hired a van for a little break and loved it, so I now I want to buy my first van, but I can't find what I am looking for. I want a high top with a bed in the rear.
It will have to be parked on the street as I live in the middle of Cambridge which is why I am going for a van conversion, but they all seem to have beds behind the driving seat.

Oh and there is a budget, as it's my first one I don't want to spend too much in case I get the selection wrong. I have seen new ones with the layout I want but not any used.
Are they just not that popular.

Thanks in advance for your comments
Cheers
Cathy

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Hi and Welcome, Its a daunting task looking for your perfect vehicle, I would suggest a trawl through ebay and then any that catch your eye go and see if any local dealers have the same model in to check it out, or if near enough to you on ebay you can arrange to go and view (always best) before you put a bid in.
Very few get the perfect van for them there is always a compromise made over one thing or another.
When you have found a model/layout that you like if you post on here for any pointers of good or bad things with relation to the vehicle Im sure the funsters will be able to answer with all sorts of tips etc.

maggie

Upvote 0

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I am afraid, looking and looking is the only answer - if you ask any motorhomer how long it has taken to find their van, most will say around 2 years!

Attend some shows over the summer, go to dealers on weekends, and trawl ebay when bored - it will give you a good idea of what is out there, what price it should be and you will roughly know what makes to look at.

I would say that an end bedroom high top on a budget would be fairly steep order - be prepared to compromise on some things, if parked on a road i would say you are looking for shorter wheelbase as possible. Most end bedroomed tend to be longer wheelbase.

Keep looking and never give up hope - the one you want is out there....you just have to bump into each other!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi, as an ex high top owner, I had a 1994 VW Autosleeper Trophy as this was within my budget, ang it was a vell thought out and well insulated van.
I've gota feeling that rear seating in proffesionally converted vans didnt appear till much later, which would have an effect on the price.

You can get some shorter coach built, perhaps another autosleeper as they tend to be a bit more compact.

Hope this help, S.:thumb:

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
what you seem to require is one of the devon conversions .ldv convoy, renault or iveco.my neighbour had convoy devon sahara. very neat tidy conversion .visited the sahara as well twice.he ended up keeping the bed down and just using the front as the lounge.it worked quite well as all the front seats turned even the double passenger seat. very neat compact conversion. cheers alan

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Cathy

It would help if you could answer some questions, in order that we can help you more:

1) What is your budget?
2) How old are you willing to go in a vehicle?
3) Do you need to carry passengers at any time (other than the front passenger)
4) Do you need a toilet/shower room, or just a porta potti?
5) What is the maximum length/height/width you need.
6) Are there any things in particular that your camper MUST have.

It would be interesting to know also what van you hired to give us some idea of what you 'liked'.

Mel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Blackcurrant-Jam

Free Member
May 3, 2010
Funster No
Thanks everyone for the input....great to get some help, but I can't wait 2 years!

Ok Mel
Here are my answers
to your questions

1) What is your budget?

About £15,000

2) How old are you willing to go in a vehicle?

Not sure....sorry

3) Do you need to carry passengers at any time (other than the front passenger)

No extra passengers, front seats will be enough

4) Do you need a toilet/shower room, or just a porta potti?
Yes I do need the shower

5) What is the maximum length/height/width you need.
Max width is panel van width which will fit in the parking bays on my very quiet street. I think it is less than 2m but I know that they fit

6) Are there any things in particular that your camper MUST have.
I really want the rear lounge so that I can keep a bed made up when travelling alone
It must have some form of heating
Must have shower and loo
Must have an engine that can cruise at 70 with comfort

What I don't need
TV
towbar
extra passenger seats

Perfect trim & carpets and luxury curtains uphostery etc

It would be interesting to know also what van you hired to give us some idea of what
you 'liked'.
it was what was available-way too big for me on my own, would sleep 5 easily and it was a coachbuilt, very wide. Couldn't find anywhere to park it. Pretty comfy though.

Anyway it got me hooked:Cool:
It's only for me so I don't need tons of space or extra seats

Thanks for all your replies, you probably think I'm singing for the moon!
Cathy

Mel

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
given the answers you gave .ldv convoy sahara convertion is just what you need .keep your eyes on mmm. if i see one advertised i,ll give you a pm. you could contact devon conversions they sometimes know of sec hand ones for sale tel..01740 655700. convoy uses rear wheel drive ,peugot or ford transit engine ,both good on fuel . watch for rust thats the downfall. my mate took his over the atlas mountains and well into the sahara. i say stay off front wheel drive but others tell me they are ok .they dont get where we go thats for sure. cheers alan.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back