Aug 31, 2009
Lot-et-Garonne, France
Funster No
MH
Changing
Exp
15 Years
Hi

When i type a search word or phrase in the search box, I get hundreds of unrelated threads.
For example "camping nantes' returns 500 hits, including threads dealing with morocco, camping gas....etc

Any ideas on how to get this to work?

I have attached a screenshot.

Thanks

peter

Attachments

• search.jpg
    search.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 21

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Been trying for years, never got a tight search. Only real help is if you add a poster name.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The forum can use full Boolean searches, for best results use the advanced search page. This can narrow your searches down dramatically.

"Camping Nantes" including the quotes looks for the exact phrase in a thread and it returns just 2 results. (If you search for posts rather than threads then it will return just 3 posts, and 4 as soon as this post is indexed)

'Camping +Nantes'. Not using quotes. Looks for posts that have both words and Returns just 10 results.

Spanish Aire will return all threads which mention both words

Spanish or Aire will return threads which name either

Aire not Spanish (or Aire -Spanish) will return matches which mention aires but not Spanish ones.

The asterisk wildcard also works eg.
com*uter will return matches to both computer and commuter

It can also be combined with the boolean operators:
com*uter and not computer will have the same effect as just searching for commuter.

To search for expressions which include spaces, use the hash symbol. eg. Pot#pouri will return matches for Potpouri and Pot-pouri and pot pouri

We are stuck to a 4 letter word limit A useful trick for getting round it is to append an asterisk eg.

SOG* (but beware this will also return any words beginning with SOG)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back