Search for sites

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by StitchesnFluff, Apr 24, 2016.

1. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

I just want to say what a great service Ian gives.
    I emailed him late yesterday to say that Belgium was missing from the download section to maps.me in particular. This morning I awoke to find an email from him, he has added more countries including Belgium to the list!

Ps: I've started adding "wheelchair" to to our reviews to give a view re local access etc.

• Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

Agree, it's a great site and so easy and reliable to use. I even managed to do a review and upload a photo without any bother whilst on the network and sat at the aire at Velez Blanco.

3. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

I've added a few sites and reviewed a few too. This is an invaluable site and Ian is quick to respond. I recommend this site too.

4. chaser

chaser Funster

Agree with all the others, great site

5. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

I also have added a couple of aire's & several reviews, Ian is always prompt with replies & help

6. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

Can you give me the site name please? Sounds really good!(y)

7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

http://www.searchforsites.co.uk/response.php

So
    basically it's a collection of data bases harvested from other sites , ASCI, CC , Campincarinfos , France Passion etc etc .. and from what I have read.. without the owners permission.

for that reason I won't support or recommend..

http://www.seqlegal.com/blog/scraping-data-mining-and-data-harvesting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_scraping

I use Campercontact.. it can be used with the downloaded maps without a data connection...

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. chaser

chaser Funster

All it is , is a collection of sites that can be found on the Internet , it's just that he has collected them together to save you having to trawl through loads of stuff, where else can you get wild camping sites, and full blown delux sites and anything in between, in one place , as for France passion , how's it hurting them, you have still got to be a member to stay there, it's just telling you where they are.
    Just a pity it's not available off line without faffing about with maps me , I still can't get my head around that.

• Like Like x 1
  9. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

Re maps.me
    On iOS. Download colour pin associated with facilities followed by country' click download new screen opens, select open with then maps.me. Need to do each site type with each country so for example......
    Red - overnight with services - Germany you then do same with France, U.K. Etc

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

How come I cannot click on "OffstreetParking" in the settings menu? Its grayed out and Im logged in?

11. scotjimland

You can put any spin on it you like.. but it's data theft .. most, if not all these data bases require membership .. for example France Passion.. , Wild Camping POIs etc .. downloading then reusing for another purpose is breach of contract.. and even if they are available, the owners permission should be sought..

on the FP site it says

Graham @GJH had this problem with his Motorhome friendly parking site.. the data was being used without his express permission..

I have given my view.. . I am not taking the moral high ground.. t's just how I see it ..

others have to make their own mind up..

12. chaser

chaser Funster

Fair enough, but don't see how it is commercial, what's he get out of it, nowt as I can see!

13. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

People are adding sites as are independent campsites by the look of it, so a right mix on there. I guess they all have started somewhere as have Campercontact, bordatlas etc

14. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

There are legitimate and illegitimate ways of publishing collections of data from other web sites.
    It is legitimate to include a link to another site on one's own site and it is legitimate to publish copies of datasets created by other people if you have their permission.
    It is not legitimate (as @scotjimland says it is theft) to publish copies of datasets created by other people if you do not have their permission - that is especially the case if you make a charge to access data put together as a result of a great deal of effort by somebody else.
    It doesn't have to be commercial. Why should somebody who has out in the effort to create a dataset tolerate its being passed off as somebody else's work (as it is when there is no acknowledgement of the data source)?

The other aspect about the Search for Sites web site is its accuracy. As I have mentioned before, 3 out of the 4 overnight/wild camping "sites" shown within the default radius of my location do not have the legal status claimed and the fourth is dubious.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. scotjimland

It doesn't matter whether it is commercial or not.. permission should have been sought.. if it were and not given it shouldn't be included..

If someone used your camper van without permission, even if you left the keys in the ignition.. it would be theft..

as it happens there is an on-line store that will benefit commercially

People are adding.. but I bet 99 % of the data was taken from other data bases..

we have both made our point.. we have different views.. so no point in arguing about it..

16. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

I suppose one of the attractions for me is the ability to chat with him, he is going to add a wheelchair button to give a more accessible view on sites. Not sure why it's easier for home to do this sort of thing.

17. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

He may make no commercial gain himself - but he denies potential income from others like France Passion who's members won't pay their subs if the list of sites has been stolen/misused and is available elsewhere.

18. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

Blimey, wish I hadn't mentioned it.

• Like Like x 3
  19. chaser

chaser Funster

No you are wrong with France passion, you can't go on a fp site without the book so makes no difference apart from someone might see the sites and like the look of them and actually join fp because they have seen it on searchforsites, everyone's a winner(y)

20. chaser

chaser Funster

Seen it all before mate, don't know why they get so uptight about a great site.