Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Decided to give the motorhome a good old clean today including the roof to rid of the mildew that has formed.Im glad i did as was surprised at just how poor the masticing is.Its recently had its 1st habitation check and damp readings were all good.I do have my own damp meter and have checked my self and all seems ok.However there is so much mastic that needs redoing as some is peeling away probably due to the manufacturer nor cleaning the plastic before applying.As for the quality of the work it is piss poor and i intend redoing the whole lot when we get some more settled weather as i did on both sides and rear of the vehicle.I don't mind doing this but it really shouldn't be the case and after a year is really unacceptable.It seems to me that the sealant used could also be of the type used in bathrooms etc just by the nature of the way it peels off.I know some can't but I'm just glad its something i can do for myself and keep an eye on all the seals for the time i own the motorhome as i really don't think i would want to go down the road of damp repairs.These companies really do need to step up their quality control.:Eeek:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
thought you meant those blackish grey things that look like big aquatic slugs with eyes :ROFLMAO:

There is a hell of a lot more mastic under the trims and overlaps than what you see.
My bugbear is that they leave the excess sealant which has ouzed out with no attempt to clean off the excess.
Its relatively easy to remove once cured and the seal is still there where it matters...between the mating surfaces.

I certainly wouldnt accept a domestic bathroom or kitchen which had been sealed in that manner.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daveo2006

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Yeah i get what you say about the sealant between the panels. Its just really shoddy workmanship and if its failed where its on full view it doesn't make you feel so confident about the stuff thats underlying.Also the smaller trims used as cover fillets are rough cut and cut short.I show pride in my finishing at my job and expect the same from the guys that work with me.I don't know what sort of wages these fitters are on but i believe in the old saying "pay peanuts you get monkies".

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I know some can't but I'm just glad its something i can do for myself and keep an eye on all the seals

You have to keep a weather eye on them. Couple on your drive, you turn away, and wallop, that nice piece of cod you were planning to have for tea......gone! ::bigsmile::winky:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
The mastic will ooze a bit as it has to be pliable so I am told, if you want chapter and verse have a chat to Glenn or Ian and pick their brains.

Peter

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I don't know what sort of wages these fitters are on but i believe in the old saying "pay peanuts you get monkies".
This is an open advertisment from a local recruitment agency, you're certainly not wrong...can't see how they can build a quality product with this job specification :Doh:

Assembly Staff

We are looking for Assembly staff to work at a busy Caravan manufacturers based in the Ashton area of Bristol.
These positions will not only involve the Assembly of Caravans/Motorhomes, but also working off the production line within there stores, recycling and repairs departments. When working on the production line you will be very hands on and working to a 12 minute turn around and some of the duties an involve heavy lifting. The use of hand tools such as drills/ screwdrivers/staple guns/glue guns will also be required.
Experience with use of power tools is an advantage but not essential.
Hours of work are monday- Thurs 07.30 – 16.30 friday 07.30 – 12.30 39 hour week
Salary: £Up to £6.54 (--)
Job Type: Temporary
Date Posted: 15/10/2013

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cudleydudley

Free Member
May 5, 2008
cheshunt herts
Funster No
MH
20012 tribute t-625
Exp
2003=11years
i noticed your comment

"As for the quality of the work it is piss poor" you should have counted yourself lucky you never bought a auto-trail, piss poor is considered above the norm.:ROFLMAO:
george

OP
OP
Daveo2006

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
This is an open advertisment from a local recruitment agency, you're certainly not wrong...can't see how they can build a quality product with this job specification :Doh:

Assembly Staff

We are looking for Assembly staff to work at a busy Caravan manufacturers based in the Ashton area of Bristol.
These positions will not only involve the Assembly of Caravans/Motorhomes, but also working off the production line within there stores, recycling and repairs departments. When working on the production line you will be very hands on and working to a 12 minute turn around and some of the duties an involve heavy lifting. The use of hand tools such as drills/ screwdrivers/staple guns/glue guns will also be required.
Experience with use of power tools is an advantage but not essential.
Hours of work are monday- Thurs 07.30 – 16.30 friday 07.30 – 12.30 39 hour week
Salary: £Up to £6.54 (--)
Job Type: Temporary
Date Posted: 15/10/2013

Says it all :Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread