Seals.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Daveo2006, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Daveo2006

Daveo2006 Read Only Funster

Decided to give the motorhome a good old clean today including the roof to rid of the mildew that has formed.Im glad i did as was surprised at just how poor the masticing is.Its recently had its 1st habitation check and damp readings were all good.I do have my own damp meter and have checked my self and all seems ok.However there is so much mastic that needs redoing as some is peeling away probably due to the manufacturer nor cleaning the plastic before applying.As for the quality of the work it is piss poor and i intend redoing the whole lot when we get some more settled weather as i did on both sides and rear of the vehicle.I don't mind doing this but it really shouldn't be the case and after a year is really unacceptable.It seems to me that the sealant used could also be of the type used in bathrooms etc just by the nature of the way it peels off.I know some can't but I'm just glad its something i can do for myself and keep an eye on all the seals for the time i own the motorhome as i really don't think i would want to go down the road of damp repairs.These companies really do need to step up their quality control.:Eeek:

• Like Like x 3
  2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

thought you meant those blackish grey things that look like big aquatic slugs with eyes :Rofl1:

There is a hell of a lot more mastic under the trims and overlaps than what you see.
    My bugbear is that they leave the excess sealant which has ouzed out with no attempt to clean off the excess.
    Its relatively easy to remove once cured and the seal is still there where it matters...between the mating surfaces.

I certainly wouldnt accept a domestic bathroom or kitchen which had been sealed in that manner.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Daveo2006

Yeah i get what you say about the sealant between the panels. Its just really shoddy workmanship and if its failed where its on full view it doesn't make you feel so confident about the stuff thats underlying.Also the smaller trims used as cover fillets are rough cut and cut short.I show pride in my finishing at my job and expect the same from the guys that work with me.I don't know what sort of wages these fitters are on but i believe in the old saying "pay peanuts you get monkies".

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tootles

Tootles Funster

You have to keep a weather eye on them. Couple on your drive, you turn away, and wallop, that nice piece of cod you were planning to have for tea......gone! :BigGrin::Wink:

• Like Like x 5
  5. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

The mastic will ooze a bit as it has to be pliable so I am told, if you want chapter and verse have a chat to Glenn or Ian and pick their brains.

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  6. kaasbroodje

kaasbroodje Funster

This is an open advertisment from a local recruitment agency, you're certainly not wrong...can't see how they can build a quality product with this job specification :Doh:

Assembly Staff

We are looking for Assembly staff to work at a busy Caravan manufacturers based in the Ashton area of Bristol.
    These positions will not only involve the Assembly of Caravans/Motorhomes, but also working off the production line within there stores, recycling and repairs departments. When working on the production line you will be very hands on and working to a 12 minute turn around and some of the duties an involve heavy lifting. The use of hand tools such as drills/ screwdrivers/staple guns/glue guns will also be required.
    Experience with use of power tools is an advantage but not essential.
    Hours of work are monday- Thurs 07.30 – 16.30 friday 07.30 – 12.30 39 hour week
    Salary: £Up to £6.54 (--)
    Job Type: Temporary
    Date Posted: 15/10/2013

7. cudleydudley

cudleydudley Read Only Funster

i noticed your comment

"As for the quality of the work it is piss poor" you should have counted yourself lucky you never bought a auto-trail, piss poor is considered above the norm.:Rofl1:
    george

• Like Like x 1
  8. Daveo2006

Says it all :Eeek: