Sealing The Water Pipe Connection

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Poohbear, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Poohbear

Poohbear Funster

Just noticed that our fresh water pipe drips where the pipe is fixed onto the back of the filler with a jubilee clip. The other end where it meets the tank seems OK. It is clear pipe with a spiral running down the outside (I guess for reinforcement). My thought is to undo the clip and pull the pipe off, put some silicon sealer around it and then clamp it back up. Anybody got any different / better ideas?

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

That should work if it is just the joint leaking but make sure that the spiral hasn't worn a hole in it first as that happened on our previous van. If it has and the pipe is long enough you may be able to shorten it and refit but otherwise a new piece of pipe is the solution. It doesn't cost all that much and a local caravan spares dealer should have some.

3. Bluestar

Bluestar Funster

Some of the convoluted pipes need a rubber insert to seal properly, also I have had problems with old Jubilee clips, as said would re trim end, clean the fitting and replace with new stainless clip. :)

4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I think the pipe Poohbear means is like [​IMG] so has a spiral reinforcement rather than being the convoluted stuff.

5. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

First thing - make sure the existing clip is tight?