Sealing external joints

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Dave K, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Dave K

Dave K Funster

Hi all
    I'm not sure if this is in the correct section so apologies if it isn't.
    We have a '57 plate Bolero which has the white skirting going around the outside of the main body, some of the joints don't look great, not only going black but splits in them as well, having already had an issue on the n/s with damp I'd like to re seal all these joints and remove/ refit filler caps and locker doors so that I know they are sorted. My questions are...what's the best mastic/ flexible material to use to undertake these jobs, is the joint between this white skirting and silver side panels purely cosmetic or would I need to completely remove these skirts, re fix and seal
    Thanks in advance
    Dave

2. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Bump.

3. Cavs

Cavs Funster

I know nothing about the Bolero but in my experience the skirts are merely cosmetic. Have a look underneath - the sealed 'box' of the habitation area will be on top of the chassis and the skirts probably hang down below and around it. I believe that Sikaflex is the stuff to re-bond them, but there are several types and I'm not competent to tell you which one to use.

4. Dave K

Dave K Funster

Thanks for your help fellas

5. Petest

Petest Funster

I was a bit worried about a trim on mine. I could pull the top back to see gunk and algae under it.
    I cleaned it up then used some Hodgson CV seam sealer. It's a non setting mastic /putty type. It's a cream colour rather than white so I'll change it at some point.