Free Member
Nov 28, 2014
Durham
Funster No
MH
Iveco bus conversion
Exp
had one 14 yrs ago. Just got another recently
One of the topics I've been reading up on is sealants.

I'm wanting to re-seal around windows/seams of an old converted bus. Looks aren't too important. from this forum there appears to be at least 3 suitable products;

Sikaflex 221
Sikaflex ebt
mastic on a roll.

What the general consensus as to what would be best for me? I'm leaning towards the mastic on a roll, assuming that it is like plasticine and therefore nice and pliable and easy to push into nooks and crannies.

Any/all opinions greatly appreciated. cheers, LG.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Stixall extreme power works for me it even sticks when surfaces are wet and is flexible it's als a lot cheaper than the brand you mention and it seems to last longer when tube has been opened.(n)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Mastic on a roll is generally used for sealing trims over joints or window frames.

Both involve removing trim/window, cleaning off old sealant, applying new mastic strip off the roll then refitting trim/window.

Its for sandwiching between not pressing in.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
When I was resealing our windows I found these non silicone sealants,white,grey or black.Seems to have done the job.
Broken Link Removed

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I have used Geocel marine sealant, it is silicone but specially for marine applications, sealing bulkheads, winds etc. Available from most chandlers stores around £6 per tube.

OP
OP
C

citroen sm

Free Member
Nov 28, 2014
Durham
Funster No
MH
Iveco bus conversion
Exp
Thanks for all of the rapid replies. Maybe the mastic roll isn't right then but I've just read the blurb on Stixall extreme and it sounds pretty good. A point I was going to add was the fact that I have to do it outside and can't get the bus close enough to the house to run a lead to power any type of heat source so,considering the time of year, (when any leaks are more likely to show themselves, ) it might be difficult for me to get an absolutely dry situation.

LG.

OP
OP
C

citroen sm

Free Member
Nov 28, 2014
Durham
Funster No
MH
Iveco bus conversion
Exp
Blimey, that auto/marine sealant is cheap. That or Stixall? There is always a decision to be made! I could do each side in one and see which performs the best!

LG.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I recently my skylight in the toilet with plumbers mait. Was recommended on another forum and was really easy to use. On our way to the ferry so will tell you when I get there if the wc floor is dry.

Silkcut1105

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 3, 2011
Swansea
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
Since 1991
ct1 is very good and its 100 times better than silicone

Join us or log in to post a reply.