Sealant "leaking" out

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Melchior, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Melchior

Melchior Read Only Funster

Hi Folks,

Back in April-ish of this year, we had a pretty major repair done to our alcove (not sure what you call it in English, the over-cab bed area, Luton thingy) as some serious rot was discovered.

Anyway, it was done by a reputable repair centre here in Netherlands who, from what I can tell, are professional and know what they are doing with caravans and motorhomes. All good.

But (there is always a but) - last weekend whilst we were away I noticed some sealant appears to be sort of leaking from the newly fitted seal. The owner of the repair shop showed me the new seal, it is not only a rubber seal but is manufactured with sticky sealant as part of it.

Here's how it looks:

[​IMG]

I have already contacted the chap and he says it is not a problem. It is caused by heat/warmth and simply not to remove the leaked part. He also says it is quite common and can be seen on many MHs.

I am not inclined to disbelieve this guy. I just find it a little hard to swallow because it's only 6 months since the whole area was rebuilt. I don't imagine it would be acceptable if the whole MH was brand new.

So I throw this one out to you folks as many of you are much more experienced with these things than I.

Is it normal? Still sealed ok? Or should I go back to the repair man and be unhappy with the work?

2. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I for one don't like the look of it. As you say if it had been on a new motorhome it would not be acceptable.

3. alfandM

alfandM Funster

to me it does not look like a proffs job,i would go back and stay whilst they make good, good luck. Alf.

4. Tootles

Tootles Funster

We have just sold our German built Fendt caravan. That was the same on every roof join. I wrote to Fendt, and they said the sealant was manufactured to do just that, and that because of this stuff, Fendt roofs never leak. Must admit it looked a bit 'untidy', but we soon got used to it, and five years later, no leaks. I would really like to get my hands on some of this stuff, but it seems it's trade only.

5. Phill D

Phill D

whats your warranty on the repair work? will he underwrite " in writting" that it is not a problem and guarantee to fix it free of charge if it becomes a problem?

or get it independently inspected and a report

good luck

6. Terry

Terry Funster

Firstly he's telling the truth :thumb: it's normal but it's also very easy to tidy up :Smile:either take it back and ask them to tidy it up or you can simply do what they would do and cut it off with a plastic or hardwood wedge :thumb:cutting it off will not hurt at all simply because it will never go back in :BigGrin: once it's off you can get some cleaner /sprit etc and clean it all up :thumb:
    IF you are unsure of the seal you can always mask up both sides of joint and resael on top smoothing off with wet finger before pulling off the masking tape
    Terry

• Like Like x 2
  7. Scottyboy

Scottyboy Funster

Mine was like this in a few places I did exactely as Terry says and its not leaked, used white spirit to clean up.

• Like Like x 1
  8. chaser

chaser Funster

If I had that I would be more worried about the part where it hasn't come out , is there enough in there?:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Melchior

Melchior Read Only Funster

A few differing opinions here as usual :Wink:

As for guarantee on the work, indeed. Not sure I ever got anything in writing but will chase him on that. I don't want to derail this thread so won't go into more detail there.

I had a wander around the place where our MH is stored and checked a few of the older panel style ones, indeed I saw a few which have similar leaky sealant so am slightly happier that it is 'normal' or at least common.

Although it is unsightly I would rather leave it well alone if it is safe than faff with it and risk any break in the seal.