Seafront car park ‘becoming a cheap holiday destination (2 Viewers)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Published on Friday 8 June 2012 15:33

CALLS have been made for changes to seafront parking – after claims some are using it as a cheap holiday destination.

Since last year people have been able to park motorhomes and camper vans for up to three days round-the-clock at West Beach car park on Hayling Island.

Caravans are also allowed as long as they are attached to the vehicle.

For disabled blue badge holders it’s free for the entire stay, while everyone else has to pay a £10 overnight charge.

But beach hut owner Susan Hay is calling for a rethink as she feels the rules are unfair.

Mrs Hay, 63, from Emsworth, pays around £1,000 a year to Havant Borough Council in rent for her beach hut, which is near the car park.

Mrs Hay, of Mill End, who has a disabled badge as she has bone cancer, said: ‘It’s a chock-a-block down here because people know it’s free.

‘If you went to any camp site, you would have to pay.

‘But Havant Borough Council have decided in their wisdom that if you are disabled, it’s free. If you have a campervan, which must cost at least £30,000, why should you not pay for parking?

Link Removed

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Published on Friday 8 June 2012 15:33

CALLS have been made for changes to seafront parking – after claims some are using it as a cheap holiday destination.

Since last year people have been able to park motorhomes and camper vans for up to three days round-the-clock at West Beach car park on Hayling Island.

Caravans are also allowed as long as they are attached to the vehicle.

For disabled blue badge holders it’s free for the entire stay, while everyone else has to pay a £10 overnight charge.

But beach hut owner Susan Hay is calling for a rethink as she feels the rules are unfair.

Mrs Hay, 63, from Emsworth, pays around £1,000 a year to Havant Borough Council in rent for her beach hut, which is near the car park.

Mrs Hay, of Mill End, who has a disabled badge as she has bone cancer, said: ‘It’s a chock-a-block down here because people know it’s free.

‘If you went to any camp site, you would have to pay.

‘But Havant Borough Council have decided in their wisdom that if you are disabled, it’s free. If you have a campervan, which must cost at least £30,000, why should you not pay for parking?

Link Removed
I think Mrs Hay is speaking a lot of sense.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I wonder what proportion of people paid 30K or more for their motorhome, I know I certainly did not and never would, when there are other alternatives. What makes anyone think we can afford to pay just because we own a motorhome, that attitude is a total load of cods wallop. The elitist keep spouting such rubbish based on their own ability to pay time they wok up to the real world where some of us are struggling.:Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
sounds like a NIMBY to me

Having an RV - yes over £30k .. and being a blue badge holder has nothing to do with the issue..got that as well (swap it to be out of a wheelchair any day)... what has the fact I have either got to do with this lady.. sounds as if she objects to any one parking near her beach hut to me. .. a clear case of 'disgusted of Tunbridge Wells:RollEyes: .... Now if this was Sandbach rather than Hayling Island..... bit like comparing Tunbridge Wells with Tonbridge (next town over)... we are posh compared to them...

Bit like going to Essex:reel::reel::reel:

Bob... yes from Tunbridge Wells. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
being disabled doesnt matter how much you have paid for your camper or car .the disability doesnt go away.
unfortunately the able bodied have no idea what is or isnt a hard thing to do. i get grief for riding a m,bike from able bodied folk . they say people in calipers shouldnt be allowed to ride m,bikes or drive artics as well . like i say i have a physical disability maybe they have a mental disabilty. hee hee.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Having an RV - yes over £30k .. and being a blue badge holder has nothing to do with the issue..got that as well (swap it to be out of a wheelchair any day)... what has the fact I have either got to do with this lady.. sounds as if she objects to any one parking near her beach hut to me. .. a clear case of 'disgusted of Tunbridge Wells:RollEyes: .... Now if this was Sandbach rather than Hayling Island..... bit like comparing Tunbridge Wells with Tonbridge (next town over)... we are posh compared to them...

Bit like going to Essex:reel::reel::reel:

Bob... yes from Tunbridge Wells. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

oi essix is powsh just have a beter langwidge use

than eny one else awight​
:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
you are right Alan

being disabled doesnt matter how much you have paid for your camper or car .the disability doesnt go away.
unfortunately the able bodied have no idea what is or isnt a hard thing to do. i get grief for riding a m,bike from able bodied folk . they say people in calipers shouldnt be allowed to ride m,bikes or drive artics as well . like i say i have a physical disability maybe they have a mental disabilty. hee hee.

Why should we be put in to a pigeon hole.. Disability is a state of mind ... our biggest handicap is other peoples attitudes to disability.

Bob:cry:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
As a Sandbach resident Nikki informs me I'm not allowed to answer due to whiskey,

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I think the complainant is talking nonsense.
I have been using Hayling West Beach on and off for a night stop since late last summer. I have never seen more than five units parked up.
The designated area is huge and could easily take over a hundred motorhomes.
Its not cheap when you add the day parking rates to the overnight charge, and take into account that the land is virtually waste ground.

The Pub on the Beach said that they have seen an increase in their off season trade due to visiting motorhomes. The Manager also seemed interested in setting up a CL type area :thumb:.

Its a good venue, especially if you are a ship watcher and like a view of rough seas over the winter period.

Attachments

• westbeach.jpg
    westbeach.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Mmmmm, beach hut (expensive garden shed) or Motorhome?

Which would you rather have?

I suspect, given what you pay for one of these sheds, this NIMBY is rather envious!:winky:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
They are putting the charge up from £10 to £20, so that will kill it anyway. Still free for disabled though.

Ian

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I have been using Hayling West Beach on and off for a night stop since late last summer. I have never seen more than five units parked up.
Its not cheap when you add the day parking rates to the overnight charge, and take into account that the land is virtually waste ground.

The Pub on the Beach said that they have seen an increase in their off season trade due to visiting motorhomes. The Manager also seemed interested in setting up a CL type area :thumb:.

Its a good venue, especially if you are a ship watcher and like a view of rough seas over the winter period.

Have you contacted Jim about this as MHFun can set up CLs.

John

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
To be honest this smells of both NIMBy'ism and a touch of jealousy !!

Perhaps she should sell her beach hut ( currently going for about 60k in a lot of places !!!!! ) and buy a motorhome.. Certainly have a lot more creature comforts and no grand a year council tax :thumb:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have been using Hayling West Beach on and off for a night stop since late last summer. [HI]I have never seen more than five units parked up.[/HI]
[HI]Its not cheap[/HI] when you add the day parking rates to the overnight charge, and take into account that the land is virtually waste ground.
The two things that are guaranteed to keep free-loaders away.....Height Barriers and High Prices.:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Charges are still the same. From Havant website.
Apologies for the' cut'n'paste.

Car Parks Info Charges

Beachlands The Nab - Map>>

Beachlands Eastoke -
Map>>

Beachlands Bound Lane - Map>>

Beachlands Chichester Avenue -
Map>>

Beachlands Central -
Map>>

Beachlands West - Map>>

Beachlands Ferry - Map>>

Cars/ Vans/Motorhomes

Blue Badge Holders - FREE

Motorcycles - FREE

Charges apply everyday from
1st March to 31st October inclusive
8 am to 6 pm

Up to 1 hour - £1.20
Up to 2 hours - £2.40
Up to 3 hours - £3.60
Up to 4 hours £4.80
Over 4 hours - £6

November, December, January and February: No daily charges - overnight fees applicable for Motorhomes in Beachlands West Beach car park, more information below.

As Above
Cars/Vans with Trailer or Caravan

Coaches

Blue Badge Holders - FREE

Charges apply everyday from
1st March to 31st October inclusive
8 am to 6 pm

£10.00 all day

Overnight Motorhome Parking
Motor Homes can only park in West Beach car park overnight and are not permitted in any other Beachlands car park overnight. Maximum stay 72 hours.

This does not include unattached caravans. They must remain attached to a vehicle at all times.

September, October, November, December, January, February, March, April and May
£8.00

June, July and August
£10.00

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We could all club together and buy Mrs Hay a set of wheels for her beach hut, then having discovered the joys of motorhoming she might adopt a more tolerant viewpoint.

RonnieJ

Free Member
Jun 30, 2009
Thetford, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
We could all club together and buy Mrs Hay a set of wheels for her beach hut, then having discovered the joys of motorhoming she might adopt a more tolerant viewpoint.

Better still reverse into it and knock it over.

scek

Free Member
Jan 12, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Couple of years or so.
...rant...
Why do Blue Badge holders get FREE parking in car parks?
They can park FREE on practically any road in the UK.
They should pay like the rest of us for car parks.
...calm now...

sequinn

Free Member
May 12, 2013
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Sprinter
Exp
Since July 2012
Does anyone have an update on parking on the West Beach @ Hayling Island?

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Looking on Google Maps at the car park and it looks like a nice sunny day with a few people on the beach and a couple of kite surfers, lots of beach huts, dozens of empty parking bays, a few cars parked and ONE motorhome.

Its certainly not Chock a Block down there all the time or any sign of it being a cheap holiday destination.
Sounds a bit like Mrs Hay is embellishing the facts

Allan

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Original posts were over 16 months ago before the thread was resurrected today - just pointing it out :Eeek:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Looking on Google Maps at the car park and it looks like a nice sunny day with a few people on the beach and a couple of kite surfers, lots of beach huts, dozens of empty parking bays, a few cars parked and ONE motorhome.

Its certainly not Chock a Block down there all the time or any sign of it being a cheap holiday destination.
Sounds a bit like Mrs Hay is embellishing the facts

Allan

The street view images are dated May 2011 but no indication of the day so if it was mid-week rather than a weekend it probably wouldn't be all that busy at that time of year. I seem to recall, though, that when the thread started there was some crowding at times.

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
Been watching with interest,as live on Hayling Island, i ,and as walk my woofer down there, i have never seen more 6 to 8 vans even with the good summer we had.but i must add i havent been down there since the middle of aug, as i hit the curb on my leci bike broke my Femur and had to have a hip replacement,time i have sad thats it for me and my van, but hey i,m driving it again,and must get down on the beach again...............Del

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
I wonder what proportion of people paid 30K or more for their motorhome, I know I certainly did not and never would, when there are other alternatives. What makes anyone think we can afford to pay just because we own a motorhome, that attitude is a total load of cods wallop. The elitist keep spouting such rubbish based on their own ability to pay time they wok up to the real world where some of us are struggling.:Angry:

It's not really about whether anyone can or cannot pay a charge - it's about whether one should pay a charge.

If the local authority decides that there should be a charge we are all legally bound to pay. Parking on someone else's land (roads etc) is a privilege and not a right.

Unfortunately the few that misuse car parks will result in all of having to pay the charge.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back