seafrance

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by dragabed, Apr 10, 2010.

1. dragabed

dragabed Read Only Funster

SEAFRANCE !!!!
    SEAFRANCE HAVE APPLIED FOR PROTECTION OF THE FRENCH COURT THIS IS ADMINISTRATION AND EVENTUALY BANKRUPT.
    so check out your sailings if booked with them.

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

from a French transport site (Google translation )

After five days in port blocking, the three ferries SeaFance "Molière", "Berlioz" and "Rodin" have resumed their rotation yesterday morning. The strike, launched Friday by the CFDT, the majority union, is "suspended" until further order by Didier and Eric Capelle Vercoutre, union leaders and their supporters.

The consequences of this movement for SeaFrance: two million euros in losses and an image tarnished a bit more with customers. "Actual losses are more difficult to assess today amount to several tens of millions of euros," said Vincent Launay, assistant general manager. At a time when the backup plan of the enterprise (PSE) should be launched, SeaFrance did not need that.

The reorganization plan unworkable

Yesterday afternoon held a rare meeting with the shareholder station to discuss the business and financial consequences of the five days of social conflict. "The lack of revenue generated by the strike makes impossible the recovery plan as it was presented in February. This applies to the proposed refinancing, which should be presented in Brussels and who can no longer be supported, "says assistant general manager.

Peter F, Chief Executive of SeaFrance, has decided "to put the shipping company under the protection of the Commercial Court. On this issue, the works council must be consulted immediately, "otherwise the company may be running out of cash before the end of May," says management.

3. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Great idea these strikes arnt they, cripple the company who wont give you a rise so your all out of work
    Did strikes ever work:RollEyes:
    BA anothor company that suffered the strike menace of late
    Geo

4. olley

olley Funster

Many years ago when I actually worked for a living :Smile: I looked after some Karrycons at FDRC. they are van or straddle carriers. They were all hydraulic drive, using ACME pumps made in Canada, the workers went on strike and the owner said back to work or I shut the factory, they laughed, he shut the factory. :Eeek: We had to convert them to Dowty pumps.

Karrycons where the only straddle carries built in the UK, and they were the most unreliable pieces of crap you could get.

Olley

5. sedge

sedge Funster

That's a bit weird, we actually went to France and back this time with Seafrance, first time in ages they've been the cheapest at the time we booked for the crossings we chose.

When we arrived at the docks on Wednesday teatime, there was a massive queue and it took us 40 mins to get through the French and English passport control. The French chap was obviouslt checking for summat, he was looking at each passport and was clearly muttering something repeatedly (either a number off it, could have been DOB or anything - or the address or the spelling of summat, dunno)

Then the English. Where had we been? Lots of places, mainly across the top, though. Where had we come from today? Ault, then via Berck for lunch .... Where in Ault? - the Aire - did he want the actual address? - No. Where had we stayed 'round here though' - Nowhere. Oh - but we did stay at Gravelines the first night we came over, over a week ago. But nowhere actually around Calais? - No.

Following that we fully expected to get pulled at Calais for the usual contraband and weapons/firearms check (does everyone else always get asked if they are carrying firearms or weapons, or just us?) - but we didn't.

Incidentally we didn't realise they have changed the access to the roundabout coming out of the port and you now can't swap from the LH lane as you come through the customs shed/cats claw part, to the RH lane as you arrive at the roundabout although you can get into the middle lane, which we did and landed up on the A2 instead of the A20. We had no option, and saw several other vehicles coming in the opposite direction where they had turned round at the first island on the A2. We came off and hung a sharp left and actually discovered Dover castle LOL. We chose not to turn Tom on and came the pretty way cross country to back to the A20 by just following our noses, we haven't done that for a long time, we were in no rush!!! LOL

So if you want the A/M20 - get in the RH lane to come through the customs shed else you will be cream-crackered, there are absolutely NO warning signs.

6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

When I first moved to Essex in 1989 I worked at Ford in Dagenham as a maintenance electrician and had to join the Electrical Trade union , the EEPTU as it was known as then.. there was no choice, Ford was a 'closed shop'

The plant was plagued by wild cat strikes called by the bored assembly line workers who were members of the TGWU, ( now part of UNITE ). As they were in the majority we had to walk out as well,

It was a well paid job with good conditions, but with so much lost time due to strikes I quit after a year.

Is it any wonder Ford eventually closed the plant and moved production abroad. :Sad:

However, if it weren't for the unions and the right to withdraw your labour many of the pay and conditions that youngsters take for granted would never have happened..

As an apprentice in the late 60s the unions fought hard for simple things like a tea break and a locker room with washing facilities.. lets not forget that without the unions the working class would still doing a 60 hr week for peanuts, doffing their caps and calling the boss sir ..

7. net-traveller

net-traveller Read Only Funster

Recently GM in USA took this option, known there as Chapter 11. I believe that they have now got themselves together and have exited Chapter 11.

I believe the action that Sea France has taken is very similar to this.

8. wasp

wasp Funster

I certainly hope they don`t go under because we all know what will happen, P&O will hike their prices and so will the tunnel operators :Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry:

9. Terry and Nicola

Terry and Nicola Read Only Funster

hi all

HI ALL
    Thinking off booking with seafrance what do we all think will it be there in june :thumb:

10. tick59

tick59 Funster

Quote:As an apprentice in the late 60s the unions fought hard for simple things like a tea break and a locker room with washing facilities.. lets not forget that without the unions the working class would still doing a 60 hr week for peanuts, doffing their caps and calling the boss sir ..
    Still doffing me cap and calling the boss SIR nobody told me any different
    :Doh::Doh::Doh::Wink::Wink:

11. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

if you do terry, make sure its on a credit card:Wink:

12. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Using a credit card may not be of any help I'm afraid. Purchase protection extends to purchases between £100 and £30,000 in value. So, if you have / get a cheap deal from SeaFrance (we have a return trip booked for £58) there will be no refund from the credit card issuer in the event of SeaFrance's liquidation.

Philip

13. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Oh dear,,, bit of a gamble then

14. madbluemad

madbluemad

WE go in June and SWMBO paid by charge card I think. Leaving that aside it still leaves another ferry to be book.

Maybe if they go bust I'll just bin the whole deal. I should have trusted my instinct and kept away from it.

Jim

:Smile:

15. dragabed

dragabed Read Only Funster

Does anyone have an update on the situation? we are due to travel Wednesday.

16. madbluemad

madbluemad

Their web site is still selling tickets so take from that what you will.

Jim
    :Smile:

17. laneside

laneside Funster

laneside

Hi

Crossed on Thursday with Sea France with absolutely no problem, if there was anything to pick up on at all it was how quiet the ferry was compared with crossing at a similar time with P.O last year. Maybe potential customers are playing safe and using alternatives.
    Just hope our return journey with them in mid June is as uneventful

Happy to be in France Lynda and Alan

18. atakd

atakd Read Only Funster

We're in the same boat (pun intended:Wink:) for July. Can't decide whether to book another crossing and write off £80 but pre-empt P&O price rise/ over-booking or wait and see.

19. froghopper

froghopper Read Only Funster

sea france

when the fast cat service went bust the other ferry companys took the tickets on their boats for a few weeks, after that they gave a very good discount, maybe the same will happen,, or L D Lines will step in quick, they sure as hell are picking up on P and Os portsmouth runs,, plus they now go dover bolougne,, lets hope:thumb:

20. snailsontour

snailsontour Read Only Funster

SeaFrance are working flat out at the moment due to the planes being grounded. I had to change my reservation due to father in law having had an operation and was lucky to get booked on a ferry for Sunday night. The telephone queue was over half an hour.
    Bob