Sea crossing

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Degsy, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Degsy

Degsy

hi travelling from Plymouth to Bilbo in January . And I do suffer from. Sea sickness . How bad is the crossing likely to be this time of year and the best sickness pills

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Last year our crossing was cancelled - that bad. Chunnel was quite calm.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rapido925M

Rapido925M Funster

My Dad always told of his time on National Service, crossing the Bay of Biscay in horrendous storms!

We sailed four times in 2009:
    Pride of Bilbao (RIP) on Jan 2-4: calm as a mill pond.
    Pont Aven - Apr 6-7: slight westerly swell, enough to make me avoid the dinner we had booked!
    P o B: - Apr 15-17: calm as a mill pond
    P o B: - July 3-4: calm as a mill pond.

Last year we had friends who went out in early July (I think) and caught the tail end of that hurricane.

The only guarantee you get is with the Chunnel!

Gordon

(Why such strange timings? I was teaching in Marbella and had to come back to see the family AND sort out MOT etc)

4. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi
    I have posted this before,and they still work for me. " Stugeron 15" Tablets

On holiday at Plymouth sound CC couple of years ago and was offered a chance of a canoe trip with a " Sea Kyaka ?" spelling ? told them i could be sea sick on the Woolich Ferry LOL,so he said get...... "Stugeron 15 Tablets",said OK and promptly forgot. Talking to an old mate of mine,discussing his health,and he said he was suffering from dizzyness and he was coping with a prescription of...Stugeron tablets from his doctor.
    Brain kicked in, i have heard about these tablets before,we had to get back to Portugal quickly and booked the Plymouth Spain ferry,so armed with the Stugeron pills,and taking them Exactly as it said on the packet,off we sailed. Dog friendly cabin..up on deck 10? (Near the crows nest LOL),the sea doing its best to roll the boat/ship ? over,there is me,with a belly full of stew , and the growler out on the exercise area,walking about a if i was on dry land....MAGIC-a RESULT.
    The daughter uses them now,and has a good voyage, i have done the return trip on the "Economy" boat,(Word of warning,the cabin carpets of the other ferry are not the only thing missing from this boat/ship/craft? so are several tonnes of WEIGHT!!! .... Cork?Bobbing LOL)
    Give them a try,what have you got to lose ? ( except your stomach LOL)
    Tea Bag (Twinned with Vasco da Gama LOL!!)

5. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

It will be hell in January.:LOL:

6. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

Don't know about tablets but you are best to place yourself in the middle of the ship, as low down as possible and close your eyes, sleep f possible. Trying to make sense of the movement around you, combined with making yourself balance if moving about, confuses the brain, causing nausea.
    If I were you, I'd book a cabin, have an audio book on iPod or similar, headphones on, go to bed.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Teuchter

Teuchter Funster

Also happened to us 2 years out of 3 from Portsmouth to Santander - in January this year and Jan 2013 (Jan 2014 was fine) each time we re booked on the St Malo ferry for the same night and got a refund :) Driving all the way through France in January is not exactly fun though!!

However as the eternal optimists we are booked on the Portsmouth to Bilbao ferry on January 25th 2016!!

8. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Nor Spain.

We got to Biarritz, walked to see the sea and got blown back where we came from. Next day or so in Spain I worked out that if I drove as close to the armco as possible the van might stay upright when it tried to blow us over, drove like that to the next exit and crawled down the side roads.

By mid Morocco all was fine.

We are on the daytime Caen ferry this Jan.

9. Phill D

Phill D

24 hours + in the bay of Biscay at any time of year does not do it for me;

if the ship sank it would be a mercy killing :whistle:

• Like Like x 3
  10. Lynne Steele

Lynne Steele Funster

We always use kwells and they work for both of us, did a really rough crossing from Dieppe a few weeks ago and we were fine, it was so rough one of the ferries couldn't dock to unload in Newhaven and damaged the ferry, but we were enjoying it and my husband does suffer usually, of course the weather could be lovely in January.

Safe trip

Lynne

11. DJA

DJA Funster

We travelled end of January. Absolutely flat calm. Had far worse crossings from Dover.

Luck of the draw.

Decide on what tablets you will use if necessary and then watch the weather forecast.

Doug

12. busby

busby Funster

Not always,,,crossed three times in jan,,like a millpond...BUSBY.

13. busby

busby Funster

Guaranteed to be delayed...BUSBY.

14. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

We went Portsmouth to Santander a couple of years ago and it was like a pond. The return in march was 'rocky' to say the least with LD lines. The bed was east west so one minute my trolleys were around my ankles, and the next a wedgie! It calmed down when we could see Poole harbour.

Craig

15. markh

markh

The worst crossing I ever had was in August, just cos it's winter doesn't mean it'll be especially bad, calm down and enjoy the trip, I've been traveling the bay every year since 2005, never been in a panic once

• Like Like x 1
  16. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

Sorry, just trying to wind him up.

• Like Like x 1