bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, some screen wash say winter so many parts screen wash / and so many parts water.:Smile: And Tesco own brand undiluted and it say's OK down to - 3 , :RollEyes: do you think the other brands are better even though they don't put a temperature on them. :Smile: Its not got much above freezing this week, I don't know what we are going to do, when it gets cold.......... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Bob.

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
I think that nothing will prevent freezing in the washer tubes though most products will prevent freezing in the reservoir. I've been without washers since Saturday and have resorted to carrying a garden spray filled with screenwash fluid. These new Transits seem to have a problem in this area, the washer bottle is mounted behind the bumper in front of the nearside front wheel. Not sited inside the engine compartment as any sensible designer would do.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
IMO, there is no such thing as a sensible designer when it come to screen wash systems!

They are often in 'cold' places, as stated above the pipes freeze and invariably the nozzles are in airflow anyway so your kippered which ever way you go!

However, bright spark here has made a tweak to our Jeep Grand Cherokee which solves some of these, and I'll share, though think it through if you wish to play, ie on your own head be it etc.

So, problem of pipes and nozzles freezing. Big Jeep has an advantage that the nozzles are below the rear if the bonnet, so out of the air stream, but no much cop if the pipes are frozen. So, disconnect pipe and fit new one that routes from the reservoire, onto the engine and is wrapped around the heater pipe, starting at the front working to the back of the engine bay. Now, Jeep has a 4liter straight 6 so nice long heater pipe so it's twisted aroung 1.5 ft of heater pipe before being routed to the washers.

Fluid, why oh why don't manufactures A: put the bottles in the engine bay period (fortunatly Jeeps is) and B: run a heater pipe (again) through the bottle to heat/defrost it?!?:Angry:

Anyway, a decent fluid will give ratios to in theory stop it freezing and I tend to go 50/50 (or more:Blush:) and it seems to take about 15 mins to defrost and with my bodgeit and scarper pipe heating system the jets and pipe unfreeze and hey presto all works, minus 5 the other day and clear and working, mind you the blade on the pasenger side was frozen solid but, a long spray of heated water fixed that quick enough!

One thing though, some screen wash doesn't half pong when heated:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Trick I used as a service eng to stop freezing was to put some meths in the bottle, found it would keep liquid down to quite a low temp, varied amount of meths depending on cold.
It also made a good job of cleaning windscreen, cut through grease.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
RE, dodgeys water pipe mod.

i'v considered this but thinking about it, it wont help once the water in the pipe around the heater hose has been used and replaced by very cold water.

my idea would involve extending the heater hose, if its a straight section, rather than the washer hose.

using a hole cutter, cut two holes to suit the hose diameter at or near the top of the water reservior and insert a coil or two of heater hose inside the reservior through the holes then connect the heater hose ends back to the engine and bulkhead stub.

this way there will always be hot water passing through the water reservior, transfering heat to the washer reserviors water, much the same way a domestic hot water tank works.

handy even in summer as hot water removes fly blood faster than cold.

one day i'll try it myself. :thumb:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Can't remember where I saw it but think it was on rally cars there was a gadget that did something like this, but was years ago.

Blisters

Free Member
Apr 2, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
I use an Industrial version from Phoenix Industries, an Industrial suppply company, they have there own product which if used neat goes down to -32 (I think)

Anyway i use it 1 part fluid and 3 parts water in very cold weather1-5 in normal winter conditions and 1-10 in the summer as a screen wash, it works well for me, It as never frozen, even after standing for days outside.

I buy a 4x5 litres, its not cheap its £2.95 a litre 14.75/5litres plus VAT and carraige, but because im local to Stoke on Trent I collect it. Lasts a good couple of years, used in 3 cars

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, that sound more like it Blisters, I was beginning to wish we bought a load back from Germany, they must have something ( well most german things are ) better than we get here.:Smile: But some real inventions going on.::bigsmile: How about heated nozzles they seem to be our problem.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Bob.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi, that sound more like it Blisters, I was beginning to wish we bought a load back from Germany, they must have something ( well most german things are ) better than we get here.:Smile: But some real inventions going on.::bigsmile: How about heated nozzles they seem to be our problem.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Bob.

Not 100% sure but i think BMW or mercedes do heated washer jets.

bald eagle

Free Member
Jan 30, 2009
here,there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since 1998
Hi boband jane
My son gave me some screen wash that does not freeze, it also de-ices the screen as
well, as far as i can remember the product name is WURTH.
Hope this helps.
regards
bald eagle:thumb:

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, just goggled WURTH , I knew it would be German.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: They have a few places in the Midlands / Manchester and the best for us Kent, looks like the thing we need, and use the other stuff in summer.:RollEyes::Smile::thanks2: Bob.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We have a Ford Galaxy which we bought new Jan 2000 it has heated washer jets, work well.

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
:Smile: " Jan 2000 "

Hi, why don't they fit them on all cars, cant cost that much..::bigsmile: Be looking round the breakers yard now.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I have never studied other vehicles, I will be checking them all from now on.::bigsmile: Bob.

bill2b

Free Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Our Washer system has worked throgh out this cold spell! :Smile:t
Perhaps we are lucky or is the Fiat Ducato a reasonable design? :Cool:

When I was stationed in Germany in the Eighties I used to fill my Rover SD1s washer bottle with Vodca because it was cheaqper than screen wash, Never froze up either :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
DESCO said:
Trick I used as a service eng to stop freezing was to put some meths in the bottle, found it would keep liquid down to quite a low temp, varied amount of meths depending on cold.

Dave
Hi Bob,

Desco's suggestion above is one that I use, having learnt it from my RAF days. All RAF vehicles used meths in the washer bottles. Don't know if they still do.

Too strong a mix can make it flammable. I'd go for a 10 to 1 mix initially, (10 water to 1 meths), and see how you get on. :winky:

Jock.

Bigtrev8xl

Free Member
Mar 31, 2009
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
Self build
Exp

This really works; I used to do the same when I was driving for a living.

Big Trev

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back