screeching fan belt continues

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by EA7VPG, Jan 4, 2016.

1. EA7VPG

EA7VPG

Hi... having just returned from a round trip through Portugal to Galicia then back again via Salamanca waking everyone up each morning we departed the fan belt is now a big issue. Thanks for the previous feedback on tightening procedures which has been completed by two very competent engineers. New belts have been fitted. The screeching mainly manifests itself on wet mornings or occasionally when driving in the rain. One thing I have noticed.... one morning having started the engine (Fiat Ducato) I turned on the lights which immediately started the screeching then stopped after turning the lights off, it was the same when I switched on the windscreen wipers. Could it be the load on the alternator creating loads on the alternator bearings creating the screeching. If so is it possible to spray the bearings or are the bearings the sealed type. The screeching generally is there when pulling off then after changing gears up it disappears. Any suggestions would be appreciated not only for myself to resolve this ongoing issue but also for the campers having a lay in :)
    Finally if you value your motorhome I would give Portugal a miss... the road conditions are horrendous especially along the Algarve. Lisboa is worth a visit though.

atb Neil

2. Scattycat

Scattycat Funster

Ref Portuguese roads.
    First time we went I thought the same.
    Then when we got back I realised I had the tyre pressures too high and also didn't pack the stuff in the hab area or the garage very securely. We went again last year with lower tyre pressures and ra-packed the van hab area and strapped down all things in the garage.
    Much better and quieter.
    . . . . . If you think Portuguses roads are bad then try Morocco
    As for your squeeling fan belt. Have you checked the engine battery level before you set off? If it is very low then the heavy load on the alternator might be the problem, we had this on our last van, changed the battery and it was fine after that

3. Badknee

Badknee Funster

If the belts are at the right tightness (sic) then it's elsewhere which seems a stupid thing to say but as other posts on the subject have asked before, when the belts were off did anyone try the pressure needed to turn the alternator? It should be quite free, just a little force needed to turn the internals. Is the water pump run off the same belt? It this tight? Belts will only squeal if they want to move but what they are trying to turn don't want too.
    Sorry if you've tried these but there's not much else to have a look at.:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Still sounds like a slipping fan belt if it squeals when a load is applied..it may not be down to adjustment etc but if alternator drive pulley is badly worn the drive belt which I assume is v shaped will bottom out and thus no grip from the v section..Roy

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

The reason it screeches when you turn the lights on is that more current is being drawn from the alternator so it takes a lot more effort to turn the thing.
    As already said, it still sounds like the belt is too loose I am afraid

6. JJ

JJ Funster

I agree with EA7VPG...

Keep away from Portugal...

The roads are too bumpy.

(Unbelieveable!)

JJ :cool:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Hi Neil, :)

We suffered the same problem, even after the tightening of existing belts, and the fitting of new belts. My mechanic pal didn't want to overtighten as it would put a strain on the alternator bearings.

We tried a different brand of multi groove belt, which was better.....................for a few weeks, then we tightened it again. While all this was going on, the step warning buzzer and horn started playing up. Within days of that happening, the alternator had burnt itself out. Not bad going really, at 17 years old.

As soon as a new alternator was fitted, the screeching disappeared, as did the other faults, so I have to assume, that the initial symptoms were a sign that the alternaotor was coming to the end of it's life. ;)

HTH,

Jock. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Peter A Forbes

Peter A Forbes Funster

Possibly the alternator pulley groove profiles are worn, so the belt is bottoming in the grooves?

No amount of re-tightening will overcome that.

Peter

• Like Like x 2
  9. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

As said in my earlier post . Its worth a look ..

• Like Like x 2
  10. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Could be the clutch pulley especially as you say it does it when setting off and changing gears (if yours has one). Unfortunately "Fiat Ducato" doesn't partake much information without giving the year and engine size

11. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

A clutch pulley can be recognised by having a plastic cover that keeps road muck out of the splines.
    If yours is held on with a visible nut and no cover then it is not a clutch type
    image.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  12. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

some belts are directional and ive heard that running them reversed can cure the squealing also the make of belt is crucial cheap belts squeal

13. Gooney

Gooney Funster

Dribble a little brake fluid on the belt when it is running, (not too much because brake fluid will remove paint if it sprays on the engine bay) that will stop the belt squealing but only as a temporary measure if there is a problem with the pulleys

14. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Have you tried a belt grip aerosol spray available from any decent motoring store?

• Like Like x 2
  15. EA7VPG

EA7VPG

Thanks to everyone for the very constructive and informative replies which has given me a lot of options to try. Best wishes to all for 2016. Once cured I will post again.
    atb.

• Like Like x 4
  16. ThePeltonian

ThePeltonian

Did you find a resolution to this?

17. EA7VPG

EA7VPG

I tried the wd40 trick which worked for a while... in fact it was that good the charger light came on indicating the belt was slipping for a while. It was OK for around two days then came back. A quick spray from the top and the squeak goes. Today I have rubbed brake fluid on the belt and given the whole system a good WD40 spraying from underneath and above directing the spray right into the bearings as best as I can. Fingers crossed. The bigger issue now is the starter motor or solenoid. On two occasions now the solenoid has failed to pull in the starter motor.. you can hearing it click, not clicking due to a dodgy battery. I have no faith or confidence now as leaving it is tempting fate for it to go belly up in the most inconvenient place according to Murphy's Law. All the connections are clean and dry and well secured. Looks like an investment in a new combined unit solenoid starter assembly. Thanks for asking about the squeak. I will update as the days go by. atb

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

The problem with WD40 is it has no lubricating properties once it dries....which isnt long after spraying and it COULD attack the belt itself.
    A silicon spray MAY be better.
    In the past I have use talcum powder in a 'puffer' bottle.
    Works for a while but the screech soon returns.
    The starter may be a poor engine earth or even though the connections look good it could be wire corrosion within the crimp.
    It may be worth cutting off the solenoid trigger terminal and crimping on a new one.
    Pennies for a crimp or a small fortune for a starter.
    I know my first line of attack.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

If a belt screeches, no matter what the cause, it should be replaced because it will be worn and polished. The cause may be the belt itself that has reached the end of its useful life or any one of the suggestions made previously. My first course of action, if there's no obvious friction in the devices it is driving, would be to change the belt.

• Like Like x 1
  20. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

i suspect the starter solenoid issue is also down to a failing or part seized alternator not charging the battery properly. bit of a coincidence otherwise

• Like Like x 1