KittyTabbert

Free Member
Oct 3, 2016
Spain
Funster No
MH
Tabbert FFB MQ705 A Class
Exp
It may be common knowledge but I've just tried a recommendation of removing the light scratches the plastic windows seem to collect over time with T-cut. It works a treat and has made my 18 year old windows look almost new. Tired arms now though

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
I used a acrylic scratch remover from Amazon for removing the scratches on our van, it also works well but its not cheap, whatever works is worth knowing.. I got lots of T cut knocking about in the garage i must try it next time an see how it goes.. Ta for the information

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I won't go into why some of these products mentioned so far can and will ruin acrylic windows, but will say what ever you use be careful as the windows have a coating on them that can easily be polished through.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I won't go into why some of these products mentioned so far can and will ruin acrylic windows, but will say what ever you use be careful as the windows have a coating on them that can easily be polished through.
I have scratching on my near side windows as a result of being forced too far into the hedgerow in a Lake District lane.

What do you recommend to remove the scratches without damage.(n)

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I have scratching on my near side windows as a result of being forced too far into the hedgerow in a Lake District lane.

What do you recommend to remove the scratches without damage.(n)
If the scratches are not too deep (you can't feel them with your fingernail) I would recommend Megiuars PlastX. I wouldn't bother with most others as they will eventually remove the scratches but require she'd loads of elbow grease.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I do all my headlights and rearlights on all the cars I've had for over 35yrs with T-cut and never had a problem, and did so on my caravan windows too when I had it... :xThumb:

OP
OP
KittyTabbert

KittyTabbert

Free Member
Oct 3, 2016
Spain
Funster No
MH
Tabbert FFB MQ705 A Class
Exp
Really impressed with the T-cut but doesn't remove deep ones as said above

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
If you must use Tcut (not recommended) make sure you rinse it thoroughly afterwards

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
Saw a bloke clean very light scratches off a cars' rear wheel arch using a cloth and WD40. It worked-no scratches, no bloom, nothing. Its not a cutting agent, it doesn't contain anything that would block up an aerosol(it does contain an infinitesimal amount of paint thinner I believe) BUT, I still ain't seen an elephant fly!

richard wright

Free Member
Oct 20, 2016
suffolk
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
Since 2016
I used 3M fast cut and and an electric polisher. They came up like new. Then I gave them a layer of canuba wax.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161223-171558.png
    Screenshot_20161223-171558.png
    934.9 KB · Views: 50

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Depending on the depth of scratch;
Wet and Dry (wet)
Higher grade W&D (still wet with a bar of soap)
Brasso
Proprietary Scratch Remover (From french Supermarket 'Rayares??
T Cut
Polish.

Finish up with Wax as it will prevent UV discolouration.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Depending on the depth of scratch;
Wet and Dry (wet)
Higher grade W&D (still wet with a bar of soap)
Brasso
Proprietary Scratch Remover (From french Supermarket 'Rayares??
T Cut
Polish.

Finish up with Wax as it will prevent UV discolouration.
This may work on headlights but will wreck your windows (read the Detailing section of MHFun)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Well done. Someone will soon arrive and say "You shouldn't do that, it's no good for the windows and it causes global warming".

So here is a reply for you, cut and past into your answer.

"Well I've just done it, it works a treat, I'm proud of my windows, now Sod Off".

Sod off we shall but remember Tcut contains ammonia which over time will utterly destroy your windows.

Bye I'm sodding off now .

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I've heard that, too.
Is any particular flavour to be recommended?

I heard bull shit flavour is best....

There is a Detailing section on this forum where one or two have tried quite hard to write topics to help cover the not only best ways to do these tasks but also the safe way to do them. Reading them will not only make life easier but may prevent damage to your vehicles.

Toothpaste Tcut and peanut butter are just silly .

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Well done. Someone will soon arrive and say "You shouldn't do that, it's no good for the windows and it causes global warming".

So here is a reply for you, cut and past into your answer.

"Well I've just done it, it works a treat, I'm proud of my windows, now Sod Off".

It saddens me that a member can take that attitude when some here make the effort to inform on not only how to do certain jobs to our expensive vehicles but which products to use for effect and safety.

This is the ONLY MH forum that has a Detailing section . It's a resource where questions that can be asked and answers are always forthcoming. @FJmike is a professional MH Detailer valeter I used to be a technical author for one of the biggest manufacturers of vehicle cleaning/valeting/Detailing products on the globe. We give advice freely in the hope we not only will help but save members from causing damage which is easy to do and often difficult to repair.

Take the piss if you like but all that will result in is the resource will vanish.

Have a great Christmas.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It saddens me that a member can take that attitude when some here make the effort to inform on not only how to do certain jobs to our expensive vehicles but which products to use for effect and safety.

This is the ONLY MH forum that has a Detailing section . It's a resource where questions that can be asked and answers are always forthcoming. @FJmike is a professional MH Detailer valeter I used to be a technical author for one of the biggest manufacturers of vehicle cleaning/valeting/Detailing products on the globe. We give advice freely in the hope we not only will help but save members from causing damage which is easy to do and often difficult to repair.

Take the piss if you like but all that will result in is the resource will vanish.

Have a great Christmas.

Charlie keep sowing your "seeds of advice" but dont be too despondent when some falls onto stoney ground and "does not flourish".

And have a good Christmas and New Year.

Martin

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).

Charlie, please take some comfort from the fact that many of us really do appreciate the advice and "heads up" gen, freely given. I take great pride in looking after our almost 18 year old MH to the best of my ability, and use quality products, although maybe not industry quality. Machining the front and rear GRP caps has been the best move I have made over the years, saving me blood, sweat, and tears..................as well as painfully sore arms and a whole lot of time. :LOL:

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Sod off we shall but remember Tcut contains ammonia which over time will utterly destroy your windows.

Bye I'm sodding off now .
Ben using Tcut for years on my windows with no I'll effect
Used it on my tugging box before I had a MH
Used it on all my MH my firs one is still going with the same windows.
And haven't fallen apart yet my current motor home had the windows polished with Tcut nearly for years ago and don't seem to have any problems
Bill

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
It may be common knowledge but I've just tried a recommendation of removing the light scratches the plastic windows seem to collect over time with T-cut. It works a treat and has made my 18 year old windows look almost new. Tired arms now though
Ben doing it that way for years great post and grate advise.
Thanks

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better

Have a great Christmas.

Not taking the piss, but is there a recognised car valeting degree at a college or other qualifications or are these professionals relying on what they have learnt over the years from experience?

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Not taking the piss, but is there a recognised car valeting degree at a college or other qualifications or are these professionals relying on what they have learnt over the years from experience?

Most rely on what they have learnt from experience or from the good old internet.

Lots of forums about on detailing and lots of info shared.

There are some detailing suppliers that will teach you the basics on a day course including how to use a polishing machine.

A D autobrite is one such company and can supply most products for most situations. (I have no connection with them just know and buy their products)

Regarding the do and don't use of T cut. As with a lot of things you may be lucky and it doesn't affect you're windows or it maybe you can't see if it has been affected.

But at the end of the day everyone has the choice to either follow suggestions or carry on doing what they have done for years.
Personally I wouldn't use T cut on anything these days as products have come on leaps and bounds.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back