Scrabster-Stromness Ferry - ramps and dogs? (1 Viewer)

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
Hi,

Last year (2015) at Dunnet Bay we went along to Scrabster and saw the large ferry sailing out to Stromness and now fancy a trip around Orkney later this month (August 2016).

The ferry looked big enough to have no grounding problems with long overhang motorhomes on their loading ramps but has anyone taken a long rear overhang motorhome on this ferry and had problems?

Also, the crossing seems, from the timetable, to be a three and a half hour crossing. Can the dog stay in the MH when on board? (Can the driver/passenger stay in the MH during the crossing, for that matter?)

Also, we are not campsite bookers, preferring to go on spec - has anyone had problems finding pitches on Orkney sites in August? (I read that wild camping is abundant and tolerated.)

All opinions and experiences sought?

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
We're 31ft with a fairly big overhang, and we've never had a problem with grounding on the Hamnavoe (the ferry that normally operates that route). The crossing is about 90 minutes. Dogs can stay in the motorhome, or you can take them up to the outside viewing deck at the blunt end of the boat. People are not allowed to stay in vehicles during the voyage, and you can't access the car deck during the voyage.

You shouldn't have a problem getting a pitch on a site without booking in advance. And yes, there are lots of good wild camping places.

Steve

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Do it Orkney is a lovely place to go we used Kirkwall as a base and moved around from there, loads of wild camping without problems, we did Gills bay to St Margarets Hope great for seeing other islands only problem had to reverse onto ferry.
We took both our dogs with us they loved it as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kelsae2

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2011
kelso,scottish borders
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
You pass the site at Stromness as the ship comes in to the harbour. The site at Birsay is great. Site yourself if no one is there & they will catch up with you later. The main site is in Kirkwall which is usually the busiest.
Enjoy your visit, its a great place.
Charlie.

OP
OP
H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
Well, Steve, you ought to know, being in Orkney yourself! Thanks to you & Alan. We're going to go over to Orkney this August on the Scrabster - Stromness route.

All I need now is to hear from someone who could arrange decent weather for the next three weeks.

Norman

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
We've had pretty good weather this summer, until a week or so ago. Been pretty miserable since then :( Hope it improves for you.

Steve

OP
OP
H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
Well, thanks to all. We went to Dunnet Bay and Altnaharra but the weather at the time wasn't worth the gamble so we didn't get to Orkney. Maybe next year.

Incidentally, Altnaharra is a wonderful site, on the side of the loch and beautifully isolated but the morning and evening midgies made it untenable. So, think twice about that place in July and August.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
You went all that way north and didn't take the opportunity to cross 'the firth'!

We just crossed back south after a week there (apart from Monday (heavy drizzle), the weather was fine).

We're now at Durness and will be at Achilitibuie (Summer Isles) tomorrow night.

Ian

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
As far as I know the dogs are not allowed to stay in the moho on the Northhlink ferry from Scrabster ! dogs are put in a chargeable kennel for the trip)
We chose to go a bit further along the coast to St Gills to take the Pentland Ferry crossing. Had to reverse on (not a problem) and dog was allowed to come and sit with us. great crossing by the way/
Wo

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
As far as I know the dogs are not allowed to stay in the moho on the Northhlink ferry from Scrabster ! dogs are put in a chargeable kennel for the trip)

Dogs are definitely allowed to stay in vehicles on Northlink Ferries, as I posted above. I've used them often enough! Check the section on travelling with pets on their web site if you don't believe me. Kennels are an option, as is taking the dog up on deck.

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
We are looking at crossing to orkney in late april or early May. We dont mind whether its the gills bay or scrabster route. Our concern is the dog. He will need to come off the vehicle deck with us so no kennels or being left in the Moho for him.

We understand we have to go on the open deck with him which is fine but not ideal.
Is there any shelter up there from the spray &/or rain?

Cheers

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
There’s a little bit of shelter in the dog area on the Hamnavoe (Northlink), just outside the door, but still open to the elements. It’s also the smoking area.

I’ve only been on the Pentalina (Pentland Ferries) once, and as far as I remember there is no shelter at all on the outside decks. I don’t actually know where dogs are allowed to go on the Pentalina.

JohnT UK

Free Member
Mar 1, 2015
FoD
Funster No
MH
Elddis 165
Exp
since 2014
This summer on the pentalina dogs were either left in the van or on outside top deck - there is very little to zero shelter apart from a slight overhang by the bridge which will give a bit of shelter from the wind/rain unless its the usual Scottish horizontal kind that gets everywhere . With regard to grounding the crew seemed very capable we loaded on a low tide an i have a 7.2m eldis with a large overhang as we reversed on the crew put in place ramps to allow clearance

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back