Scottish Islands (1 Viewer)

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We plan to tour the western isles of Arun,Mull,Uist,Harris, Lewis & Orkney in our 7.6mtr van this May.
I have assumed the roads will be ok as many have presumably done such a journey before,is that the case ? before we book the ferries.
Any advice on camping/wild camping .

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
How many weeks have you allowed, Orkney is worth two weeks on it's own. We are visiting Harris and Lewis this year and are expecting two weeks for that.

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Rough Guide says it starts sometime in May through to Sept but the best of the weather is often in May.If we are lucky the midges will come late this year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
image.jpeg
You'll have a fantastic time. We've done he Hebredian islands a couple of times now. First with our big 7 birth , last year with Pug our PVC. It was a lot easier with Pug , granted, but we managed ok with the bigger wider one. First time we had hot sunny weather no midges. Unheard of for the whole 2.5 weeks. The second time wasn't as warm , was a lot windier , but only rained in the evening and we still had no midges !
Here's a few pics to whet your appitite ! There's a lot more in albums if you click our avatar for a nosey. We only stopped on a site twice for a night each stop on both trips. Plenty wild camping spots . A few here we stopped on .
Plenty narrow single roads , but lots of passing places too.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
Arran is great the roads are fine. Off thee at the weekend. Arran cheese, Arran whiskey and arran beer what more could you ask for? Campsites are few but good prices. Ferry is frequent and a good size.

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Thanks Ralph-n-Bev
We will check out your album and wild camp as much as possible.

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Get a Cal-Mac Island hopper ticket for the West, we had 5 different ferries, good value, we started at Oban

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Will ring Cal-Mac to discuss the 8 ferries on our route.Can you just turn up with a hopper ticket? I think you may still need to confirm your travel time before arrival .

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
On the longer routes best to book as the ferries are no so frequent. On the shorter hops you can just turn up. Our friend was very impressed as the speed and skill the staff have in loading the vehicles. As I said they do it day on and day out for years and are experts at what will fit where :)

Oh make sure you get a seat where you can dolphin spot. If you are lucky someone will be able to identify the species for you.

When you go Stornoway to Ullapool you can overnight on the carpark (we did) if you want to get the early ferry - if you are discrete. The freight trucks go around 11 or 12 and then it becomes peaceful. The ferry terminal is open until the trucks are loaded so you can use the loos in there. I'm not sure what time the cafe closes but it was open when we went to freshen up at about 5.30 am I think. Martin and Scott said the bacon butties were lovely and they do a mean hot chocolate. The best hot chocolate I have ever had is on CalMac ferries, wish I knew who the manufacturer is :)

In Stornoway walk up towards Bayhead and there is a little shop set back where they have a small museum and sell Harris Tweed jackets and hats at very reasonable prices.

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi WillH
This is a last minute idea last Monday to use our free month of May .Hopefully it will not feel too rushed but give us a good feel for the islands.We can always return if we plan ahead in the future.

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Well Puddleduck ,if we remember to ask I will let you know about the chocolate .

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
image.jpg
I've just had a look back on our album, it's made me want to go back again soon. Too busy on other trips and a couple of holidays abroad this year. But next year.....
Here's the route we took first time. Hopscotch 13 reverse I think it was called. You didn't have to stick to ferry times booked. We started from Oban.
The second time we drove to aviemore and got on at Lewis first. Starting at the very top. But of Lewis , I think it was called, the light house . Nothing between you and North America. The windiest part of Britain. Though it wasn't when we were there. Very bleak though.
image.jpeg

We spotted an ideal place to wild camp below
image.jpeg

Just off the single track road to the light house. A couple of concrete slabs. (Above)
The photo of me with the dog ( first post ) is taken on the beach down a track in front of Pug. Port Stoth. On the above photo.
http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/lewis/buttoflewis/index.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Thanks to all,have now booked -8 ferries with CalMac Ā£291.10 and 2 ferries (return) with Northlink Ā£218.00 .Not too bad I think for a large motorhome .

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Good do, I thought Calmac were brilliant, none booked just turned up.
We went in early Oct 2015, no midges and even the sun was out.

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Thanks Puddleduck ,yes we intend to return to the mainland at Ullapool and drive across to the Scrabster ferry
Hi ,Pentland Ferries just along from Northlink Ferries is better if you have a dogs, cost is similar.

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Thanks Puddleduck ,yes we intend to return to the mainland at Ullapool and drive across to the Scrabster ferry
Don't forget to look at the ferry from John O'Groats to St Margaret's Hope, we found it much cheaper.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back