Scottish Islands

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by mojo, Apr 7, 2016.

1. mojo

mojo Funster

We plan to tour the western isles of Arun,Mull,Uist,Harris, Lewis & Orkney in our 7.6mtr van this May.
    I have assumed the roads will be ok as many have presumably done such a journey before,is that the case ? before we book the ferries.
    Any advice on camping/wild camping .

2. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

If @dippingatoe did it in her RV you will be fine :)

Have a great time........ Orkney is off the north coast though, not one of the Western Isles :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. mojo

mojo Funster

Thanks Puddleduck ,yes we intend to return to the mainland at Ullapool and drive across to the Scrabster ferry

• Like Like x 2
  4. WillH

WillH Funster

How many weeks have you allowed, Orkney is worth two weeks on it's own. We are visiting Harris and Lewis this year and are expecting two weeks for that.

5. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Try and time it to miss the "midge" season. !!!!!

6. mojo

mojo Funster

Rough Guide says it starts sometime in May through to Sept but the best of the weather is often in May.If we are lucky the midges will come late this year.

7. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

image.jpeg You'll have a fantastic time. We've done he Hebredian islands a couple of times now. First with our big 7 birth , last year with Pug our PVC. It was a lot easier with Pug , granted, but we managed ok with the bigger wider one. First time we had hot sunny weather no midges. Unheard of for the whole 2.5 weeks. The second time wasn't as warm , was a lot windier , but only rained in the evening and we still had no midges !
    Here's a few pics to whet your appitite ! There's a lot more in albums if you click our avatar for a nosey. We only stopped on a site twice for a night each stop on both trips. Plenty wild camping spots . A few here we stopped on .
    Plenty narrow single roads , but lots of passing places too.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  8. ronidog1

ronidog1 Funster

Arran is great the roads are fine. Off thee at the weekend. Arran cheese, Arran whiskey and arran beer what more could you ask for? Campsites are few but good prices. Ferry is frequent and a good size.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mojo

mojo Funster

Thanks Ralph-n-Bev
    We will check out your album and wild camp as much as possible.

10. mojo

mojo Funster

We have three days for the Isle of Arran so time for all those three -ronidog1

11. Autowbars

Autowbars Funster

Get a Cal-Mac Island hopper ticket for the West, we had 5 different ferries, good value, we started at Oban

12. mojo

mojo Funster

Will ring Cal-Mac to discuss the 8 ferries on our route.Can you just turn up with a hopper ticket? I think you may still need to confirm your travel time before arrival .

13. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

On the longer routes best to book as the ferries are no so frequent. On the shorter hops you can just turn up. Our friend was very impressed as the speed and skill the staff have in loading the vehicles. As I said they do it day on and day out for years and are experts at what will fit where :)

Oh make sure you get a seat where you can dolphin spot. If you are lucky someone will be able to identify the species for you.

When you go Stornoway to Ullapool you can overnight on the carpark (we did) if you want to get the early ferry - if you are discrete. The freight trucks go around 11 or 12 and then it becomes peaceful. The ferry terminal is open until the trucks are loaded so you can use the loos in there. I'm not sure what time the cafe closes but it was open when we went to freshen up at about 5.30 am I think. Martin and Scott said the bacon butties were lovely and they do a mean hot chocolate. The best hot chocolate I have ever had is on CalMac ferries, wish I knew who the manufacturer is :)

In Stornoway walk up towards Bayhead and there is a little shop set back where they have a small museum and sell Harris Tweed jackets and hats at very reasonable prices.

14. mojo

mojo Funster

Hi WillH
    This is a last minute idea last Monday to use our free month of May .Hopefully it will not feel too rushed but give us a good feel for the islands.We can always return if we plan ahead in the future.

• Like Like x 2
  15. mojo

mojo Funster

Well Puddleduck ,if we remember to ask I will let you know about the chocolate .

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

image.jpg I've just had a look back on our album, it's made me want to go back again soon. Too busy on other trips and a couple of holidays abroad this year. But next year.....
    Here's the route we took first time. Hopscotch 13 reverse I think it was called. You didn't have to stick to ferry times booked. We started from Oban.
    The second time we drove to aviemore and got on at Lewis first. Starting at the very top. But of Lewis , I think it was called, the light house . Nothing between you and North America. The windiest part of Britain. Though it wasn't when we were there. Very bleak though. image.jpeg
    We spotted an ideal place to wild camp below
    image.jpeg
    Just off the single track road to the light house. A couple of concrete slabs. (Above)
    The photo of me with the dog ( first post ) is taken on the beach down a track in front of Pug. Port Stoth. On the above photo.
    http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/lewis/buttoflewis/index.html

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  17. mojo

mojo Funster

Thanks to all,have now booked -8 ferries with CalMac £291.10 and 2 ferries (return) with Northlink £218.00 .Not too bad I think for a large motorhome .

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Autowbars

Autowbars Funster

Good do, I thought Calmac were brilliant, none booked just turned up.
    We went in early Oct 2015, no midges and even the sun was out.

• Like Like x 1
  19. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Prices are lower this year than I can ever remember (y) will be out there in May myself and again in August :)

20. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member