Scotland's own 'Yosemite'? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
More camping bans on way as park bosses plan Scotland's own 'Yosemite'?

National park bosses have unveiled plans to transform part of the Highlands with new campsites, motorhome facilities and commercial kiosks.

Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park Authority said the developments would make the area a world-class destination to match California’s Yosemite.

The 5 Lochs visitor management plan, which will cost £850,000 initially, would see the establishment of a series of ‘informal’ camp sites similar to the one at Sallochy on the east shore of Loch Lomond, in an area where wild camping was banned under a national park bylaw.

Full Story

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
I think we need to draw a distinction here between tents and campervans.The idea of over 2,000+ people using the loch as a giant toilet is not appealing at all whereas campervans have self contained facilities and should not IMHO be subject to the same restrictions.We were on the shore at Loch Lomond last year and it did look a little 'well used' in parts but the views were amazing.:thumb:Wild camping only works if people leave a place as natural as they found it and my experience of camping areas is often litter, half burnt fires and general shabbiness.Motorhomes/Campervans do not need to leave such a mess and most don't.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Yosemite, that's wishful thinking. They might have the mozzies but where are the bears, mountain lions and coyotes? :RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
As above, It might be lovely scenery but Yosemite it ain't. Having said that, at least they are looking forward. Anything like that is going to need very careful management.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Having been fortunate enough to have visited the USA, South Africa and Austrailia and seen the facilities that are provided for the public to camp, bbq etc, I can only say, if it matches those countries it will be a good idea.
The fact that these things are provided seems to make everyone there more aware of the need to keep things tidy. Indeed, if you leave a mess in South Africa, the people around you will soon let you know. Similar in Oz.
Obviously some areas are better kept than others, so a little education, and a small fee, would help.

My main fear in the UK is the upcoming groups of mindless morons who take pleasure in destroying anything that benefits some one else. If we were all more assertive and stood up to these groups collectively we might get some sense into them. By the way, I'm not trying to form a vigilante group. ::bigsmile:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I agree from an Oz POV.

Even the unlikeliest group of individuals at public picnic/BBQ areas automatically take cleaning materials to ensure they leave the BBQ as pristine as they found it. And a lot of em (BBQs, not the people AFAIK :roflmto:) are powered by electricity and all FREE.

V impressed by that.

I also commented how impressed I was that the public loos in some place we went had sharps bins in them. How very very helpful I said to my sister - because I'm diabetic you understand - and then added 'although I wouldn't dream of injecting in a loo of course, but it's the thought that counts isn't it? .....'

There was a sort of pregnant pause then she said Errr, I don't think they are exactly provided for the benefit of diabetics, Jen ......

O. :Doh:

:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
IMO ... The Land reform (Scotland) Act 2003 (more commonly known as the right to roam act ) was short sighted and ill thought out ..

It establishes a statutory right of access over most land and inland water for recreational, educational and some commercial purposes, and for crossing over land or water. It establishes statutory rights of non-motorised access

It gave access rights to lightweight, wild camping – small numbers of people for 2 or 3 nights in one place.. it did not give this right or access to any motorised vehicles, caravans or campervans

So what happens now .. campers( I use the term loosely ) arrive by car, hop over a wall or fence and set up camp.. and we have all seen or read the reports about the problems this is causing ..

This Act had nothing to do with ,motorhomes parking overnight in laybys or parking places.. ..
The law in Scotland is the same as England and Wales regarding this and are laid out in the Caravan Act 1968 .. You may not camp unless you have the land owners express permission .. or on a public place if there are prohibition notices backed up by a TRO.

So, while Scotland is a great place to 'wild camp' in a motorhome, please bear in mind it is not a legal right.. Few people object to responsible wilding .. indeed, most people welcome visitors when they behave responsibly ..

As for bears and coyotes... well, we don't have wild dogs but there are Scottish wild cats and lots of 'bears' who come form Glasgow who do the nylon camping fortified with Buckfast wine .. :roflmto:

Enjoy Scotland.... :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back