Free Member
Jan 9, 2010
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
8 mths
Hi going to Edinburgh Inverness Fort William and Loch Lomond in August anybody know of good camp sites or wild camping spots around any of these places would be much appreciated thanks Dave

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I am not aware of any good wilding spots in the areas you have mentioned but I'm sure others may have suggestions. Wild pitching tends to be easier away from towns and up into the far northwest. There are campsites in / around Fort William and we have used one just south of Edinburgh not far from the airport. Loch Lomond* lies mostly within the Trossachs National Park and there is a wild camping ban throughout the park.

p.s. * that's the East side of the Loch that's in the park, the A82 runs up the west side and although there are several lay-bys, it might be a bit noisy.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Don't know about Edinburgh and Inverness but the Camping and Caravanning Club have two sites at Loch Lomond, one on either side of the loch. One is Luss on the West bank and the other is MilarrochyBay on the East side. I have only stayed at Luss and it is very nice, but liable to be busy at that time of year. Booking early may be required.
We have stayed at the Glen Nevis Caravan and Camping Park which is just outside Fort William and it is a very well run site. It has a bar and restaurant on site which is handy, because it is a fair walk into town. Again, it will be busy at that time, so book early. www.glen-nevis.co.uk

There are loads of other campsites available. Google is your friend.
There are some fine campsites around Glencoe and it is a beautiful area to stay in.

Never wild camped there, so can't comment.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Last year in Scotland we wilded in a large car park on the road south out of Fort William. We had to move the van late in the evening to the north side of the car park to allow space for a helicopter to bring a patient in from one of the islands. It was quite exciting. You look straight out over the water. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
by wild camping do mean real wild camping in the country side with views etc or just a car park somewhere that you can stop in ???

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We use a lovely we CL just outside Edinburgh at Damhead and its only 5 min walk either way to bus stop in to city, also 5 mins from supermarket and pub that does lovely food.

As for LL if your sensible you will be fine we have wildcamped many times on the west coast even had the police join us for a cuppa one night. If you drive up through Ardlui there is a lovely secluded car park next to some water falls which we have used a few times I can't remember the name but its sign posted as a tourist site.

The further north you go you will have more opportunity to wild camp.

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Just before Inverness, there's Magbrin Nursery, coming down alongside Loch Ness, Drumnadrochit there's a campsite, at Invermoriston, there's a nice big car park, (we had a mini meet here with Carol and Eddy here).
Going south on the A82 a massive layby right on the shores of Loch Lochy, In Fort William there a campsite right in the glen at the foothills of Ben Nevis with views and fantastic walks, http://www.glen-nevis.co.uk/?id=13
towards Oban there's a C&CC and along A82 alongside Loch Linnhe nice layby, So long as you're not blocking anyone in, you can basically park anywhere so long as you feel safe, PM me if you want more places.

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
by wild camping do mean real wild camping in the country side with views etc or just a car park somewhere that you can stop in ???

By wild camping, I mean anywhere that's not paid for. I would only stay in a car park if en route, not as a holiday option. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Passing Places

Free Member
Apr 19, 2013
Stirling
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
One year
Hi

Are going to the Edinburgh Festival? The dates and destinations are the nearest we getting to choking point tourism wise in Scotland. Why - because they are popular so no criticism intended. :)

If you fancy seeing other sides of Scotland during that timeframe including wild camping then the list is almost endless. Without knowing what ticks your boxes it's difficult to advise but even at peak times I can leave the crowds behind.

Happy to chat if I can be of any help?

Kevin

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
We came out Oban one night last summer hoping to find a site or somewhere to park and wild
we traveled for about 15 miles not finding anything I felt comfortable with so we pulled into one of the forestry commission car park and viewing area to try make a few phone calls with no luck trying to find anything we decided to take a chance and stay there
We woke up next morning and took dog for a walk only to find we where about half a mile from a river with a waterfall the most beautiful walks and trails we saw birds deer rabbits everywhere so much wildlife
we ended up staying there for 2 days Elaine i with our granddaughter 2 at the time had the most fantastic and relaxing 2 days of our holiday
I did see a couple of police and forestry workers they just smiled and waved to us one walker who I spoke to to told us that he had seen campers in there often and did not think it would be a problem so long as we parked correctly and did not leave a mess he did give one piece of of advice with dog and little one to be careful about sheep ticks and keep little ones legs and arms covered
Advice we took as it made sense

Passing Places

Free Member
Apr 19, 2013
Stirling
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
One year
In general Forestry Commision car parks are OK in Scotland for overnight parking. By definition they are oh so much better than laybys but some folk feel a bit nervous about trees, wind darkness etc.

Relax and enjoy. Just be sensible. Leave it as you found it. In Scotland we have freedom to roam. We have neither the attitude nor the resources to police it in any other way. As always there is more to it than that but as a general rule of thumb Forestry Commison car parks work well for me.

Kevin

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
In general Forestry Commision car parks are OK in Scotland for overnight parking. By definition they are oh so much better than laybys but some folk feel a bit nervous about trees, wind darkness etc.

Relax and enjoy. Just be sensible. Leave it as you found it. In Scotland we have freedom to roam. We have neither the attitude nor the resources to police it in any other way. As always there is more to it than that but as a general rule of thumb Forestry Commison car parks work well for me.

Kevin

I did forget that part when I took the white rat for a walk about 11 pm it was certainly a little spooky as was totally dark no moon but the view of stars was amazing but so peaceful I would defiantly do it again

Passing Places

Free Member
Apr 19, 2013
Stirling
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
One year
The spooky bit never really go's away for me. :Eeek: I do star trail photography and I solo in the van. Oddly but obvious if you think about it is I head out in the darkness, keep my head torch off unless adjusting settings. Being in the dark is being safe ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

All good fun you have little or no chance of meeting anybody.

We sadly live in a stranger danger culture where the fear of crime is magnified almost exponentially from the reality... Certainly in rural Scotland.

Kevin

OP
OP
D

DGT

Free Member
Jan 9, 2010
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
8 mths
Wild camping in the country side with views

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back