Scotland (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
We have just returned from what was supposed to be a 5 week trip to the western isles. Got as far as Oban, wind, rain and more rain so after 2 weeks we bolted for home, (Hampshire) I believe its still raining up there so probably the right decision. Only good thing was not a single midge!

spongy:Sad::Sad::Sad::Sad:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Magic init.. keeps it really green.. and chases you softy southerners back home :roflmto:

seriously... we spent three weeks in Skye last year , camping under canvass and it rained every day.. but when it is sunny it is truly spectacular.. just have to pick one of the three weeks a year when it's not wet :Sad:

EJB

Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
Suffolk (by choice)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1+
We went 3 years ago and only lasted 3 days......it didn't stop raining once.
Moving to Kent gave us temperatures as high as 90 degrees and no rain.

Living in East Anglia we have had no real rain for months (16mm in April).

Scotland is on the cards again this year....here's hoping:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
With Scotland you have to be prepared for anything, even 4 seasons in an hour.
How do you think that they get all that water to make those wonderful Lochs.
Have never yet given up and have seen in in every mood, sun, rain, wind and snow and the views all look great just different.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
quite agree ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Only once have we came home early and that was from a windy, wet, blustery, chavey campsite in Skegness.

sue1959

Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
non as yet, hired in Canada a couple of times. hope to buy in the next few years.
We always take raincoats where ever we go. Ireland is as wet as Scotland that's why it's called the Emerald Isle. we have some lovely 'soft' mornings here and some flipping terrible ones too but we can't change it.

As my mother used to say 'If we all went round naked we wouldn't bother about the rain. It's your clothes you don't want to get wet!'

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
We had 4 weeks in Scotland first 2 weeks the sun splitting the stones, a rare event even got a tan after that it turned to rust had to come southwards to see most of our friends at the Newbury meet and at present watching a blinding sunset.

M1TCH

Free Member
May 15, 2011
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
just had three weeks in Gods country been back two weeks now and missing it, rained one day in three weeks :thumb: but on the flip side been there for two weeks with one dry day before and it was still stunning Gray.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Did a month touring most of Scotland in 2005....

3 days rain and the rest was mostly sunny....

Beautiful scenery, and no midgey`s.... :thumb:

Wind rain and cold can catch you out any where, dont let this dry spell cloud your vision, it wont last.. :RollEyes: :winky:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Guys,

Another thought! If went to the south of France or north Africa expecting sunshine and got four weeks of rain I think I would feel cheated, but as everyone knows (except some sunseeking MHers) Scotland and particularly west Scotland has twice the average rainfall of the UK.
So why do MHers and other holiday makers feel they have been cheated when they don't get sunshine?

By the way I love Scotland - must do I live here but I am going to France in the hope of getting some sunshine. Will let you know if I am succesful?

Norman

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Hi Guys,

Another thought! If went to the south of France or north Africa expecting sunshine and got four weeks of rain I think I would feel cheated, but as everyone knows (except some sunseeking MHers) Scotland and particularly west Scotland has twice the average rainfall of the UK.
So why do MHers and other holiday makers feel they have been cheated when they don't get sunshine?

By the way I love Scotland - must do I live here but I am going to France in the hope of getting some sunshine. Will let you know if I am succesful?

Norman

You only have to go south of Watford Gap and you will find "Sun"... Why France ?????? :winky: :ROFLMAO:

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Its just your luck when you tour anywhere in the uk we have had several trips in Scotland with fantastic weather Last year we were washed out for 2 weeks at Longleat (England) ps you dont hear of major floods in Scotland but every year there is weather storms Down South makes you think oh and next week again its a trip in Gods Country

Bill

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Magic init.. keeps it really green.. and chases you softy southerners back home :roflmto:

seriously... we spent three weeks in Skye last year , camping under canvass and it rained every day.. but when it is sunny it is truly spectacular.. just have to pick one of the three weeks a year when it's not wet :Sad:

What weeks would they be this year Jim?....PS No I'm not gonna give you a clue as to when we're going...:ROFLMAO:

clarify

Free Member
Jul 19, 2009
Funster No
Hi
Just got back ourselves today . Didnt think weather was that bad mostly rain at night but loch lomond loch ness kintyre and ken bridge spent several days in shorts and getting sunburnt .
Shows how the areas can vary greatly win some lose some but keep smiling
Ray Claire and Katie cat

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
Just back from kyle of Lochalsh...Was picking up my MH after the head gasket went about a month ago. It was sunny when we left, but when we got to Fort William we decided to stay the night there as we had travelled up by train at 6.30am. It poured with rain all night . Ben Nevis had a fresh covering of snow..Anyway made it back to Leeds without a hitch. Van running great now.

Shirl

littlehouse

Free Member
Jan 25, 2011
Decize France
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Driver 52
Exp
west coast scotland

just got back this evening, still raining. The pubs were dry. had a great time.:Smile:

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
With Scotland you have to be prepared for anything, even 4 seasons in an hour.
How do you think that they get all that water to make those wonderful Lochs.
Have never yet given up and have seen in in every mood, sun, rain, wind and snow and the views all look great just different.

A southerner with some sence,if we all sped home when the weather dident suit us we would be as well staying at home.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Its just your luck when you tour anywhere in the uk we have had several trips in Scotland with fantastic weather Last year we were washed out for 2 weeks at Longleat (England) ps you dont hear of major floods in Scotland but every year there is weather storms Down South makes you think oh and next week again its a trip in Gods Country

Bill
'cos it rains so damned much no-one notices :ROFLMAO:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish

Jim,
It's not the rain keeps the grass green, its cos you're all down here walking on our grass!

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Hee, hee, to quote Roger !!

I will be there for the first 2 weeks or so in September ! GUARANTEED sunshine.....
Because the sun always shines out of my arse !!! Or so I have been told ! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Well have finally got things sorted every thing conspired against us, we are off Thursday for our fix of Scotland the first of the year, better late than never.

Looking forward regardless of weather, to all the wonderful views, have no plans find it better that way, just go and enjoy.

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
'cos it rains so damned much no-one notices :ROFLMAO:

if i remember the last tv pictures from down south were of Caravans/Motor homes/cars and all sorts getting washed down the main st of a village never seen that in any other part of the uk so i would suggest that all you soft Sotherners trade in you m/h for boats and stay down south i will save me having to book sites up hear when you lot try to invade

Bill:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back