LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
IM hankering after touring Scotland sometime, buit I've heard they have wee beasties that bite....whens the best time to visit

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Most years before June, Then Sept on Can't guarantee but normally true.

If you stay East coast not so likely to meet them. but you miss the best in my opinion

Don't let them put you off you are missing a treat.

Take your Avon Skin so soft just in case.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
We went in the middle of may and were lucky with the weather and no midges, and I have to say in my admitted limited experience, there is no better place to be no matter what the weather.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Were thinking of going up the east side to innverness drive down lock ness, to the west coast and have a look around that side abit, nothing too fixed just want to wander

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We will be in the CC site at Luss in October for a week, shouldn't be many midges around then. I hope. :Eeek:

For many years we holidayed in a cottage at Newton Stewart in Dumfries and Galloway and walked the area Usually we would go before the end of May and then end of September onwards the midges were not too bad then. ::bigsmile:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Sounds good to me, we normally go for six weeks at a time and are due off end of September. Don't plan anything as you say just wander. Prefer middle and west but it is just a matter of choice, most of Scotland is WOW:Eeek:
Sites above Inverness close end of September normally just a warning if you want them
Don't forget how big Scotland is many do.

Have been from Galloway to far North could not say which is best, probably the bit you are in at the time.

Just go and enjoy

Last edited:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
We will be in the CC site at Luss in October for a week, shouldn't be many midges around then. I hope. :Eeek: ::bigsmile:

You should be OK then Just take your Avon to be on the safe side, better to have it and not need it.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
we always go at easter for a couple of weeks. Sometimes you can be lucky and get some snow for skiing.

last year at easter we were BBQing with some other funsters as the weather was so nice.:thumb:

slickmouse

Free Member
Dec 30, 2007
Planet Mars next 2 Uranus
Funster No
MH
Winne/DAF Coach
North and Westside is the worse especially after a bit of Sun and Rain! Bring one of your Geckos and tie it to your neck and let a few loose about the motorhome

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
time your trip for wind and rain......the little buggers dont like either.

and they maybe little beasties but they have a bite like a dog and as such should be muzzled at all times.::bigsmile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Just got back after 10 days touring up the west coast and then down the A9. Weren't bothered by midgies at all until we got to Perthshire and even then wasn't too bad. The site we stayed in north of Ullapool said they had been bad a few days previously but it was okay when we were there.

Rgds
Bill

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
I have done a week touring scotland three times, twice in June and once in August ( twice on a cycle, once by car ) and didn't see a single midge on any of the trips.

Mind you on every trip it pixxed down with rain almost non stop...... but the scenery was so stunning we didn't care.
Fantastic place. Pity it's full of scots <ducks>

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
North and Westside is the worse especially after a bit of Sun and Rain! Bring one of your Geckos and tie it to your neck and let a few loose about the motorhome

mute piont, gecko breedings not what it was, thier all on preloved, I dont suppose anybody wants to buy a dozen or so

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back