Scotland Whale watching date question (1 Viewer)

Tezza

Free Member
Sep 6, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
around 26 years
Thinking of going to John O Groats to chance my arm at some Pentland Firth Whale spotting, anyone know if last week of April is too early to have a chance of a sighting?
I know it's a long shot anyway but it's a long way up to get the dates wrong, and TBH not the best off terra ferma so not fancying boat trips, just a thick coat, deck chair and a pair of Binos.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
google suggests that the prime time would be may to september though they can be spotted year round..
I'm sure you will have had a google..
andy

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Haven't seen any whales up north for a few years, last time was off Ardnamurchan Lighthhouse. We were in a car, it's a long road in a van. We do get then near us occasionally in the North Channel of the Irish Sea.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I find either of the River Severn bridges excellent places to see Wales. Virtually 100% guaranteed

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
We had a splendid day on a boat off of Cape Cod some huge beasts came up to pose for us. You could possibly get to Boston as fast as you can to Scotland.....;)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
If your sea legs are suspect you may want to consider their smaller brethren, dolphins?
The Moray Firth has a fair population of these and we saw them from the caravan site at Findochty during the early part of May 2014 however, Chanonry Point a few miles along the coast is better. Believe they can also be spotted from the C&CC site at Rosemarkie.
They feed on migratory salmon which reaches a peak towards the end of July.
There's also the Dolphin Centre at River Spey which will be open then.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Thinking of going to John O Groats to chance my arm at some Pentland Firth Whale spotting, anyone know if last week of April is too early to have a chance of a sighting?
I know it's a long shot anyway but it's a long way up to get the dates wrong, and TBH not the best off terra ferma so not fancying boat trips, just a thick coat, deck chair and a pair of Binos.
The only time I was fortunate enough to see a Whale close up in Scotland was during an October half-term week, about 8 years ago.

I appreciate you are wanting to remain on land, but I was out on a RIB at Corryvreckan watching Dolphins & Porpoises feeding in the tidal race, when something far bigger surfaced about 40' from our boat. One day I hope to get back and try to relive the experience

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I find either of the River Severn bridges excellent places to see Wales. Virtually 100% guaranteed

There is a road between Cheltenham and Stroud where you can park. You can take the path across a field and have a clear view of both bridges and Wales (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back