Scotland Tour 2017 Route Advice (1 Viewer)

Jun 22, 2014
Great Totham
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
I've started planning the NC500 for a three week trip next year but it's kinda expanded to cover the Hebrides and Sky. Although I've decided to give the east coast section a miss, so no longer NC500.

If any of you well travelled (especially travellers of the region) would like to cast your eye over my itinerary in the link below I would appreciate your comments. I'm thinking it's looking rather adventurous for three weeks but I can trim and mod ...a starting point at least.

Link Removed

Cheers

John

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
We're planning to do NC500 for 3 weeks in May so I'm interested in seeing peoples feedback.

Cheers
Alan

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Just had a quick look at your plans...very nice
Your heading for Castlebay on barra. . Was there last summer and I thought that one of the nicest parts of that trip was the stop at vatersay .. not a campsite or anything but right by the beach..
I think I'd take in barra airport and get the ferry from the north of barra to eriskay and drive rather than going back to Castlebay and getting ferry to Lochbosdale
I'll leave it at that lol... only suggestions...
Andy.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi John (Cyclists)

You don't say what vehicle you will be using or is the answer in the name? We went in our 7m 3500 kg Motorhome.

We stayed at Ardmair C S and then moved on to Kinlochbervie where they had just opened an Aire on the old harbour with a Spar within 120yds.

From there we travelled in one day via Durness and Tongue to Altnaharra where we stayed at the Caravan Club site which is on the shores of the Loch and has great views. You do need your own Toilet facilities.

We then moved on to the Bonar Bridge area.

We can recommend that as an alteration you could consider.

Here is a picture from Altnaharra.

DSC02423asmall.jpg

Just to add there was no Diesel in Durness and Tongue so keep topped up when you can.

Doug

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Just had a quick look at your plans...very nice
Your heading for Castlebay on barra. . Was there last summer and I thought that one of the nicest parts of that trip was the stop at vatersay .. not a campsite or anything but right by the beach..
I think I'd take in barra airport and get the ferry from the north of barra to eriskay and drive rather than going back to Castlebay and getting ferry to Lochbosdale
I'll leave it at that lol... only suggestions...
Andy.
We were with Andy and fully agree. Get the ferry from Ardmhor on Barra to Eriskay,much quicker and cheaper.
Don't you do any wild camping? We wild camped all the way up through the islands, a few nice beach locations too, eh @andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi John (Cyclists)

You don't say what vehicle you will be using or is the answer in the name? We went in our 7m 3500 kg Motorhome.

We stayed at Ardmair C S and then moved on to Kinlochbervie where they had just opened an Aire on the old harbour with a Spar within 120yds.

From there we travelled in one day via Durness and Tongue to Altnaharra where we stayed at the Caravan Club site which is on the shores of the Loch and has great views. You do need your own Toilet facilities.

We then moved on to the Bonar Bridge area.

We can recommend that as an alteration you could consider.

Here is a picture from Altnaharra.

View attachment 134576

Just to add there was no Diesel in Durness and Tongue so keep topped up when you can.

Doug
That photo is lovely.. that area is one I must visit..I'm always drawn to the coast..
Andy.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
We were with Andy and fully agree. Get the ferry from Ardmhor on Barra to Eriskay,much quicker and cheaper.
Don't you do any wild camping? We wild camped all the way up through the islands, a few nice beach locations too, eh @andy63
Lol.. I was hoping you would be along...as it was you sorting the itenary and ferries.. I'm struggling to remember and know you will

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Lol.. I was hoping you would be along...as it was you sorting the itenary and ferries.. I'm struggling to remember and know you will
Haha, I reckon I had the easy part organising us 3 and did appreciate the carefree easy going nature you and Alan had, not to mention me not having to do ANY cooking..Who said "Its a mans world";)

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
Think you're missing out some great scenery by not going from kinlochewe north west to gairloch /poolewe/laide and then up to Ullapool. Other than that, great route and you'll undoubtedly enjoy it. What time of year are you planning to go?

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Agree with Baileysbus however we did not stay in Laide but at Mellon Udrigle, north of Laide, where there was a super sunset as follows. Apparently it was better the night before.

DSC02341small.jpg

The above was taken standing at the front of the van.
Doug

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Just remember to be flexible, you might fond somewhere you fall in love with and want to stay longer - or if the weather turns windy and the ferries are cancelled you might have to stay longer :)

Funny how people ignore the southern part of Scotland - okay not as spectacular as the north but the area south of the central belt is very nice - both east and west :)

OP
OP
John and Jo
Jun 22, 2014
Great Totham
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Think you're missing out some great scenery by not going from kinlochewe north west to gairloch /poolewe/laide and then up to Ullapool. Other than that, great route and you'll undoubtedly enjoy it. What time of year are you planning to go?
good point ...can mod the route easy for that. thinking of late August early Sept.

cheers

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
You may need more than 3 weeks, we spent that on the Hebrides alone this year. Andy's ideas about the ferries and Barra are spot on. We were in a 7.0m 3.5 tonne van and had no real problems. Don't forget it's really quite nice in Southern Scotland as well.

OP
OP
John and Jo
Jun 22, 2014
Great Totham
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks ...I've taken in all points and agree. Barra to Eriskay definitely. Kinlochewe north west to Gairloch /Poolewe/Laide and then up to Ullapool does look a nicer route and Durness and Tongue to Altnaharra. As for the timing, yes we may end up just doing the Hebrides but its a starting point and if we don't make it all will have to go back. We only have three weeks.

Cheers

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Another little suggestion if it's not on your list..
You have sango Sands down as a stop... so you will no doubt take in smoo caves, but another trip while you're in that area is cape wrath. .. you can't get there in your van but a little boat takes you across the kyle and a mini bus will take you out to the lighthouse..
It will be a half day at least to do it but again I think worth it if you have the time..
Could go on forever about spots up that west coast , many of which I haven't managed to visit ,but the photos I've seen posted are lovely..
I'll look forward to seeing yours :)..
Andy..

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We have been all round Scotland many times and would suggest to you that when Leaving Sango Sands instead of heading straight for the for Loch Ness site to call in at Rosemarkie on the B;lck Isle a C & C campsite, right on the beach were the dolphins come in close enough to watch with the naked eye.

Badboo

Free Member
Nov 23, 2016
Northern Portugal
Funster No
MH
McLouis Mc2 72 motor home
Exp
This our first!!
We wild camped all the way up through the islands, a few nice beach locations too, eh @andy63
@andy63 can you point me to any resources detailing wild camp spots in Scotland or the UK generally? We're thinking of touring Scotland (or Wales) over the Christmas period

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
@andy63 can you point me to any resources detailing wild camp spots in Scotland or the UK generally? We're thinking of touring Scotland (or Wales) over the Christmas period
there will be information available on this site under the heading uk touring, both wild camping , and sites in the uk..
if you have not become a full member , its well worth it.. questions on any aspect of motor homing including travel just about anywhere you care to mention..
there are also face book groups you could search for..
if its scotland in particular you are interested in then '' scottish motorhome wild campers '' would be worth a look... they have a comprehensive map of wild camping spots all over scotland along with a lot of other info.. but the further north you go the easier it is to find beautiful spots to park up for the night,, without bothering anyone..
enjoy your travels and hope you join here as a full member
andy

Badboo

Free Member
Nov 23, 2016
Northern Portugal
Funster No
MH
McLouis Mc2 72 motor home
Exp
This our first!!
enjoy your travels and hope you join here as a full member
andy

Thnaks for the response andy63. I've just realised that Iwas responding to a response by irnbru but directed my response to you. Not sure how I managed that but I appresicate you're getting back to me.

I have joined, I assume, as a full member.

Cheers.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I have joined, I assume, as a full member.
Actually you're a sort of 'guest member' - I can tell because your name shows up in green. This means you only get 5 free posts. To turn it blue (full member) there's a £15 annual subscription - the best £15 you'll ever spend! It gives you access to more areas of the forum and some very worthwhile trade discounts too.
Looking forward to welcoming you as a new 'full member' in the "introduce Yourself" area!
Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back