Scotland North Coast 500 April/May (1 Viewer)

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Lovely photos Carol - the one of Ed in a hammock looks as though it could be on a Portuguese Atlantic coast beach! Hope you're both having a wonderful time. xx

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Looks great Carol, we're coming up in Jun/July so taking note of your stopovers.

Whatever you do DON'T walk out in the heather with that red top on with your hair that colour, as you'll be totally camouflaged and a shooting man might not spot you.

Griff xxx x this last kiss is for Eddie say Jax.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Looks fantastic. We did it the route in July 2014 same week as the Glasgow Commonwealth Games and had some fantastic weather, it was to hot for the midges although they did sneak out later in the evening. Greta piece of advice we got was to do Applecross from North to South. Initially I thought this strange however after doing the route, which has some of the best views you can find, would also pass the same recommendation. enjoy and I look forward to following your travels. (y)
Excuse my ignorance, having never taken this route (yet), but why is it better to go North to South?

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Lovely pictures Carol and Eddie it looks very tranquil after your busy few weeks on funster rallies! Enjoy and it's one for me to put on the list of places to visit! Thanks!:)

LilacMoss

Free Member
Jan 10, 2015
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Looking again....
Exp
Im a newbie...since Sept 14
Here's wishing I was in Gordon (my old moho) doing the same route Carol...I so loved my West Scotland trip in him and the views I unexpectedly came across, often took my breath completely away.....what me jealous? Much! ;):LOL:

Thank you for sharing with us all though...and hope you really enjoy yourselves! (y)

OP
OP
Carol

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Plockton is a not to be missed for anyone who has not been, not sure if we will call in this time as the route 500 is calling, but then so is Skye, don't think anywhere in this area could be disappointing. Just watched a guy cycle here and pitch his tent on the beach, took him a cup of tea, 8pm in the evening.

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Wish we had the time to do this after the Falkirk meet, but totally convinced that we will have to travel back up.
Looks amazing :)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Plockton is a not to be missed for anyone who has not been

OMG, I love all these recommendations, I`ve already re-scheduled my trip to call in at Arisaig and Mallaig area, now I`ve got to fit in Plockton !
Currently on CC site at Killin, heading across to Inverness tomorrow then west coast at Clatchtoll.
What`s at Plockton ?
Will I ever make it back to work on time after bank holiday?

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
If it was down to choice, Skye or Plockton then Plockton would win hands down. Its either raining or misty on Skye.

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
OMG, I love all these recommendations, I`ve already re-scheduled my trip to call in at Arisaig and Mallaig area, now I`ve got to fit in Plockton !
Currently on CC site at Killin, heading across to Inverness tomorrow then west coast at Clatchtoll.
What`s at Plockton ?
Would be most interested to hear what you think of Clatchtoll as thinking of heading there later on in May. Sorry to hijack this thread

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Just watched a guy cycle here and pitch his tent on the beach, took him a cup of tea, 8pm in the evening.
You are just TOO nice! Sounds like you're having a lovely time - continue enjoying Scotland - have you been troubled by the Culicoides Impunctatus yet?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
http://midgeforecast.co.uk/

a really useful web site for anybody going to Scotland, but till mid May things should be fairly safe (y)(y)

for now Carol and Eddie are too early and too close to the sea to be affected

but mainly right now it is too kin cold :)

OP
OP
Carol

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
You are just TOO nice! Sounds like you're having a lovely time - continue enjoying Scotland - have you been troubled by the Culicoides Impunctatus yet?

Not yet we have bought a special Stone thing that you put citrus gel in to help keep them at bay, and got every lotion you can think of, lol.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
http://midgeforecast.co.uk/

a really useful web site for anybody going to Scotland, but till mid May things should be fairly safe (y)(y)

for now Carol and Eddie are too early and too close to the sea to be affected

but mainly right now it is too kin cold :)
Not safe anymore, midges been out the last few weeks :-(

OP
OP
Carol

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
What`s at Plockton ?

Re Plockton, there's a large car park on the sea front where you can park in the day, but it says no overnight, but we were told by the locals it was fine to stop which we did , but it's up to you to chance it or not. It's strange the very nice local hotel acts as the public toilet as there is not one in the village, it also has good internet. We have been on the beach there in September picking Blackberry's on the beach. It's in the gulf stream so the temperature can be quite mild. It's a really quaint place.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Rough Guide to Scotland confirms that Plockton is not to be missed at any cost, so it`s going to have to be fitted in somewhere.
If anymore recommendation appear on this thread can someone offer tips on re-negotiating annual leave entitlement ?

OP
OP
Carol

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Now to us the best part of our Motorhome is that it let's us change our plans when we want, so sitting here today watching the Ferry go across to Skye, I say how much is the Ferry, so we googled it £20 for us and van.
So Monday slight diversion we are off to Skye, I wanted to visit the Fairy Pools, and maybe Skyeskyns again hopefully catch a couple of eagles, so maybe a week on Skye then back to thy 500. just a bit later than planned.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Now to us the best part of our Motorhome is that it let's us change our plans when we want, so sitting here today watching the Ferry go across to Skye, I say how much is the Ferry, so we googled it £20 for us and van.
So Monday slight diversion we are off to Skye, I wanted to visit the Fairy Pools, and maybe Skyeskyns again hopefully catch a couple of eagles, so maybe a week on Skye then back to thy 500. just a bit later than planned.
Carol that sounds a lovely plan - but I am wondering whether you have SAS (Skyn Aquisition Syndrome)....;)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I think you are just giving us all a chance to catch up (y)

I also don't think you can see the Skye ferry from there, it will either be the Rum and Eig service or if further away the Oban to Western Isles, but that would be quite a way off from you

As long as you go to Mallaig next, that ferry goes (mainly) to Skye :)

Don't want you getting too lost :) and having even more fun without us :)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Oh no Skye, you done it now ! I`ll be getting sacked,
Seriously, I looked at travel from Plockton to Mallaig and it seems there is a ferry from Armadale to Mallaig so that means going onto Skye via the bridge ? Is that viable alternative rather than going inland driving the longer route ? seems to make sense if I can buy a one way ticket

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back