Free Member
Jan 23, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Dear all,

Heading up to the west coast of Scotland in the next week or two, via Oban-Skye-Ullapool-Durness, and a meander back down, (not fully planned out yet). I was just wondering if there are any roads which should be avoided in a 24 foot motorhome.

Thanks for all your help.

Zoophoo

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
I seem to remember my sister going to Applecross ( Bealach na Ba )and the road being a white knuckle ride..i just remember her saying ..''never again''. Apparently it has a sign saying ''narrow road, no more than 3 sheep abreast''. A favourite for bikers, but not for large vehicles. She went in a Hiace camper and was sh*tting herself, having to prise her fingers off the steering wheel...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
We went to applecross. A very difficult road but well worth the adventure:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
The roads aren't that bad think of all the tour buses that go up and down these roads and 24ft isnt really that big. If you take your time you will be able to go anywhere.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The roads aren't that bad think of all the tour buses that go up and down these roads and 24ft isnt really that big. If you take your time you will be able to go anywhere.

Absolutely correct Gerry... had my 36ft Rv + trailer up there.. Only road I hate is the last leg of the A82 at the top of Loch Lomond .. that is hairy to say the least, them tour buses don't take prisoners ... and the rock walls don't bend.. :whatthe:

you forgot to mention..

many now have white lines and sign posts .. most of the tolls have been taken away, although they were talking about a new one at Gretna :winky:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We were in Scotland last year with car in tow, up the east coast as far as Inverness along the great glen beside Loch Ness across to Skye and then back down south via Loch Lomond, agree with Jim on A82 but no problem with care, no other problems either, go for it , its brilliant :thumb::thumb:

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsQr0y1XwNg&feature=related[/ame]

There is a longer way to Applecross......This road is unsuitable for large vehicles and caravans.......

Shirl

Dingray

Free Member
Dec 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
CB
Exp
Since 2000
No-Go roads

Hi There
I don't think there are any roads likely to cause any problems, I spent nearly ten years driving a 7.5ton curtain sider delivery lorry on nearly every road in the highland area, some remote addresses were given as a map reference!! Also large tourist buses cope OK.
When are you planning to go?
BFN
Ray

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
We did that route last year. No problem with a PVC(only 85bhp) and I doubt you'll have any with a 24 footer. Use common sense over Applecross and you'll enjoy the experience.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Dear all,

Heading up to the west coast of Scotland in the next week or two, via Oban-Skye-Ullapool-Durness, and a meander back down, (not fully planned out yet). I was just wondering if there are any roads which should be avoided in a 24 foot motorhome.

Thanks for all your help.

Zoophoo
Zoopoo, there are no roads to be avoided just every road must be taken with care. Distances are further than you think, so check the scale of your map/atlas. Most maps show England and Wales on a scale of 1/3 but Scotland is often 1/4. Couple that with the slower speeds you will be travelling and alow longer for your journey.

If the weather stays as it is, it's the best part of the country to be.

Good luck.

Norman

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
You will find many single track A roads but with LOTS of passing places. As said if the truckers can get there so will you.
The signs also ask you to pull over and allow the local traffic to get pass, they are not on a sight seeing tour. :thumb:
In Falkirk at the moment and it's sunny. Scotland hasn't had as much bad weather as the South so if it lasts come and enjoy. :Cool:
I'll bet that buggers it up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back