Scotland in the summer (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
The last time we went to Scotland was about 30 years ago with three children in a caravan!!! We are thinking of going there this summer in August but we only have two weeks. We live on the south coast in West Sussex so hoping there's enough time in those two weeks to see lots of things. We love beautiful scenery but can't walk far. We would like to stay on quiet sites or CLs or wilding (never done that before) so any suggestions for places with stunning views and peace and quiet would be gratefully received please. Also any overnight stops on the way up there would be appreciated.
I have read about narrow roads in Scotland but can't really remember what the roads were like from 30 years ago. Our MH is 7.2 m long so not a big one.

Thanks

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
The last time we went to Scotland was about 30 years ago with three children in a caravan!!! We are thinking of going there this summer in August but we only have two weeks. We live on the south coast in West Sussex so hoping there's enough time in those two weeks to see lots of things. We love beautiful scenery but can't walk far. We would like to stay on quiet sites or CLs or wilding (never done that before) so any suggestions for places with stunning views and peace and quiet would be gratefully received please. Also any overnight stops on the way up there would be appreciated.
I have read about narrow roads in Scotland but can't really remember what the roads were like from 30 years ago. Our MH is 7.2 m long so not a big one.

Thanks
Dont worry about the narrow roads. Yes they are in abundance but so too isthe visibility and the passing places. Much easier than in cornwall/devon/the lakes. Our MOHo is 7.2M long too.
We overnight/wildcamp with others and lorry drivers at devils bridge kirby lonsdale- about 5 miles in from M6 - just avoid weekend nights as much busier early in the mornings with biker meets.
Great location with nice dog walk into the town along the river.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
We spent five weeks touring up to and round Scotland last year, in a 7.5m Moho, with no issues at all. Single track roads are a non-issue, as you can see several passing places ahead most of the time.

Going up, we stopped with friends in Norfolk, then a C&CC CS in Mablethorpe - never seen a beach like it!! If the sun were reliable, it would be packed, instead of deserted!!

First stop in Scotland was wild camping at Megget reservoir - highly recommended, and an easy introduction to wilding. Have a look at the Scottish Motorhome Wildcampers on Facebook. They are well worth joining for all the help you could wish for whilst touring Scotland.

The only issue you are likely to have is the midges - they will be out in force in August! Best go somewhere where they won't bother you, like Mull, where the wind blows them away!!!

Have fun, it's a wonderful place, Scotland! (and no, I am not biased, despite my family originating in the village of Dunnet in Caithness!!!)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
How ironic, I have just got back from Scotland! We stayed here http://lochnessshores.com/ It was a great site, right on the banks of the Loch, and it was very quiet indeed. I liked it because apart from the odd 'pod' cabin, it is all touring pitches, no gigantic statics have been installed. There is a very scenic walk past Foyers Falls which is worth doing!

We were a little disappointed though, the whale rescue team had divers out in the Loch, we were hoping to see some whales, but none appeared. Saw lots of red squirrels, and a couple of stags were staring at us when we opened our door this morning! (y)

Agree with @JFD the single track roads really aren't a problem, you do need to look ahead a little further. If you are closer to a passing place than an oncoming motorists, they expect you to be courteous and move into it and wait (rightly so). I only had one issue with a complete numpty, met on a bend, behind me was a small passing place, which even if I had gone into it, we still couldn't have passed. He had a gigantic passing place just behind him, but he refused to go back. Waving his fists and yelling. I hopped out and explained our predicament, that the only way to proceed was for him to reverse into the passing place, and I also made it clear I have a kettle and I am happy to make a cup of tea whilst he decides.
Interestingly the guy had an English accent and the car reg prefix was 'HV', so down south, not a local! :D

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Agree with @JFD the single track roads really aren't a problem, you do need to look ahead a little further. If you are closer to a passing place than an oncoming motorists, they expect you to be courteous and move into it and wait (rightly so). !

This is not true and not the correct way. If the passing place is on your right then you should wait opposite it and NOT cross over into it.

Sheldon C

Free Member
Mar 30, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
Euromobil 695EB Profila
Exp
Since 1995
We love beautiful scenery but can't walk far. We would like to stay on quiet sites or CLs or wilding (never done that before) so any suggestions for places with stunning views and peace and quiet would be gratefully received please.

Just about anywhere on the West coast up to Ullapool should meet your requirements, perhaps not so many CLs to choose from but sufficient wildcamping spots with great views to be enjoyed if not already taken by some of our european visitors who appear to have a very relaxed attitude towards the arrive late and depart early requirements of wild-camping in Scotland.

Last edited:

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
"The only issue you are likely to have is the midges - they will be out in force in August! Best go somewhere where they won't bother you, like Mull, where the wind blows them away" :rofl:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
You have two weeks; I would assume that AT LEAST four days of that will be travelling there and back if you're wanting to spend as much time as you can north of the border (rather than taking the travel as part of the holiday).

How much driving do you then want to do once you've "arrived"?

Just one of many ideas: if you want to stay local-ish, you might want to consider the Aviemore area:

For overnight stops on the way there and back, you could do worse than join BritStops when the new book is out, there are lots of places conveniently sited near to main roads & motorways.
http://www.britstops.com/

Finally: before you go, stock up with Smidge https://www.smidgeup.com/

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
This is not true and not the correct way. If the passing place is on your right then you should wait opposite it and NOT cross over into it.

I did mean that, but it was late, and we'd been on the road for 12 hours! :D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
By the way @irnbru that is an excellent and informative video, especially the letting people overtake bit. We had to do lots of that of the weekend! :D

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
"The only issue you are likely to have is the midges - they will be out in force in August! Best go somewhere where they won't bother you, like Mull, where the wind blows them away" :rofl:
Buy some Avon So Soft and Simple. The SAS use it. It smells nice.......to us and the midges hate it. Incidentally that's how you can tell an SAS soldier out of uniform. [Joke].

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
I personally don't think you have to go way north to experience a nice time. Dumfries and Galloway get way overlooked as does islands like Cumbrae, Arran and Bute.
Completely agree, especially with OP coming from so far away.

Great route would be along the Solway Firth, taking in Isle of Whithorn, up the coast to Port Patrick, cut back up past Girvan, to Ayr, hop over to Arran. Then potentially cut back cross country depending how long you've taken so far and how long spent on Arran.

Wherever you go in Scotland (in my opinion) you can't go far wrong. But some places can be surprisingly busy (Skye for example) which takes the shine off things...

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I think Skye is over rated but that's just my personal opinion.

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
We are heading To Shetlands in June. A twelve hour sail with Northlink and then 2 weeks scootering and cycling. I recommend The Orkneys for a beautiful Scottish experience.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Many moons ago, before child, my wife and I went on a trip to Oban, and took the ferry over to Mull. All I can say, what a friendly bunch of people they are! We ended up in a pub in Tobemory, and because the weather was awful, we ended up imbibing way too much, and eating far too much salmon. But we were very happy! :D

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I personally don't think you have to go way north to experience a nice time. Dumfries and Galloway get way overlooked as does islands like Cumbrae, Arran and Bute.

And don't forget The Borders and Fife and on the west the Ayrshire coast.

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
all i can suggest is that you don't try to do it all in the one visit. take it in workable chunks and come back every year. west coast is probably best scenery, but east coast has fewer or no midges, they can't stand the freezing cold howling gales coming off the north sea.

OP
OP
The Cruisers
Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thank you all for so much information. I will spend some time at the weekend looking at the map to see where these places are.

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
We spent five weeks touring up to and round Scotland last year, in a 7.5m Moho, with no issues at all. Single track roads are a non-issue, as you can see several passing places ahead most of the time.

Going up, we stopped with friends in Norfolk, then a C&CC CS in Mablethorpe - never seen a beach like it!! If the sun were reliable, it would be packed, instead of deserted!!

First stop in Scotland was wild camping at Megget reservoir - highly recommended, and an easy introduction to wilding. Have a look at the Scottish Motorhome Wildcampers on Facebook. They are well worth joining for all the help you could wish for whilst touring Scotland.

The only issue you are likely to have is the midges - they will be out in force in August! Best go somewhere where they won't bother you, like Mull, where the wind blows them away!!!

Have fun, it's a wonderful place, Scotland! (and no, I am not biased, despite my family originating in the village of Dunnet in Caithness!!!)
SWMBO's family lived up at Dunnet Head for many years back in the 1970s and 80s! I have been taken there on a pilgrimage.

OP
OP
The Cruisers
Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Well, we looked at the map of Scotland over the weekend and decided we would follow the Solway Firth in August and not do as much as we thought we might. Think you are right Dognewf we will go back again as we only have two weeks this time and travelling from the south coast in West Sussex.
The thing that I'm a bit worried about is not booking a site around that area especially in August. We thought we would try wilding as we have seen some of your fantastic photos on the edge of lochs etc.
Few questions -
Do you just drive up to a spot and decide "this is it" ?
Does it have any signs saying you can camp?
Can you stay two nights?
What about emptying waste water? I know it's an absolute "no" emptying the loo. We wouldn't do that.
Is it like the Aires in France - you're not supposed to set out chairs and tables etc. ?
Do rangers/wardens/police ever check the places?

We plan on booking a site as we near Scotland to fill up with water and empty all wastes but are a bit worried as we can usually only last 3 days without emptying waste. We will stop over on the way up and back at CLs or small sites. We would like to try wild camping in Scotland for the first time. We've been on Aires in France and love it. Most we've been to have all facilities. Can't wait to try a bit of wilding in Scotland but need a bit of advice from you guys and probably more confidence ourselves.

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
unless it says you can't, assume its OK to park. Solway has great places, watch out for the followers of the Wickerman lol.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
If you're members of the c&cc you can fill up with water and drop waste for a small fee. We've also got rid of waste and filled with water in a couple of pubs in the past where we stopped in for eating - spoke to the landlord who opened up a drain in the car park and filled up via a handy positioned hose pipe,

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
We were a little disappointed though, the whale rescue team had divers out in the Loch, we were hoping to see some whales, but none appeared.

You've got more chance of seeing Nessie on Loch Ness than whales. Whales don't live in fresh water:LOL:

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit

Well it is best to cross over into it if the approaching vehicle is HGV i.e. Logging wagon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back