DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Durness tomorrow, all four of us maybe, although we go via the Falls of Shin so still another push over the railings possibility to come :)

tonight we are at the Tarbat Discovery centre, a Brit Stop and often mentioned on here by @Photo4x4 (y)

Bev and inlaws did the museum, I was delayed by the gas hunt, but a lot was learnt, the local village was evacuated in WW2 to allow practice bombing to take place!! an interesting piece of local history

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
update on site tonight, Tarbat Discovery centre, we had hoped to be midge free being so close to the sea, I thought wrong, the level places set aside for MH's which also double up as disabled parking back into trees, it has been wet and humid and the midges are nearly as bad here as they were up in the hills

Nice location though, too wet this evening to go for a walk, other than the essentials for Lola, away from our space the midges seem OK, if I came again I would be tempted to park on the slope and take my chance, or come out of midge season (y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
update on the evening

played Yahtzee, never had so many Yahtzees in the same game as tonight, in fact 3 out of 4 of us had double yahtzees in the first game, the only one not to was my FIL, there clearly is a god :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

apart from that meant we had to play again, but he still didn't win, but he drank another half bottle of my best red, must keep some rubbish back for him :) I did at least get the other half

I walked Lola, while gone Bev has broken the blind on the front, stupid bloody spring loaded weak plastic affair, that looks to be integral to the whole blind, so a 20p fixing will no doubt cost £200 or a lot more possibly to put right

But I do know it will not be fixed by Travelworld (y) I would rather sleep naked to the whole world than give them any more of my hard earnt, but that might just be a plan, maybe the thought or risk of me doing just that you lot will have a whip round before the next meet I am due at (Halloween - Griff get your hand in your pocket :LOL:)

till tomorrow good night all x

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Just caught up on your blog David - hope things improve (and that the inlaws don't get their hands on this thread.....) and that the continuation of the holiday is midge / murderous thoughts free!

Surely there must be some distilleries around to make for welcome diversions? :)

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Oh David, I feel your pain!! Never in month of Sunday's could I do a trip like this! Keep taking the beer,gin,wine,whisky etc and just think it will be over eventually.

Happy travels.

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
we had hoped to be midge free being so close to the sea, I thought wrong, the level places set aside for MH's which also double up as disabled parking back into trees, it has been wet and humid and the midges are nearly as bad here as they were up in the hills
Oh dear! We are normally a midge free area apart from the very occasional time when wind, humidity and weather combine in a 'perfect storm' of circumstances and unfortunately for you it seems you picked this very occasion. :(

However inside the museum will be midge free. :)

KH

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Oh David I feel your frustration, but just think of the positive side, the laugh you have given all us, :D just caught up with two days worth of posts, certainly made me smile. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
David you are doing a wonderful job of your blog and creating fun reading for all of us. Times may be trying but you are importantly creating lasting memories for Bev and in the future you will both be able to look back and laugh at.

It would be great to put a few faces to the inlays so a group photo please.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
David a Stirling job!! Your in laws are no doubt saying they are having the best holiday ever or will do when they get home!!(y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Oh dear! We are normally a midge free area apart from the very occasional time when wind, humidity and weather combine in a 'perfect storm' of circumstances and unfortunately for you it seems you picked this very occasion. :(

However inside the museum will be midge free. :)

KH

Good morning, midge update, perfect storm over, midge free and sunny this morning

taking a walk to the beach in search of breakfast

family have already been inside and confirmed very good, informative and midge free :)(y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi @DavidG58 I am sure you are having a great time really BUT if you insist you aren't I will offer to swap.

We have spent the best part of the last 6 weeks driving the MIL to FIL's death bed two or three times a day, and at the same time very selfishly trying to work out if we can manage a quick trip to Dusseldorf without him passing away while we are there, ferry all booked and we have salon tickets, Oh what a dilemma.

Dusseldorf is getting closer and the ferry is booked for Sunday:cry: don't know what to do.

On a slightly lighter note we sit with MIL and watch TV on an evening, well really Jen knits and I read MH Fun, anyway the TV is on LOUD and MIL has the remote, everytime the adverts come on she turns the bl---y sound off and then invariably falls to sleep, so do we then just miss the rest of the film or whatever it is or do we wrestle the remote from her sleeping hand and wake her up.

Anyway David just start enjoying the trip while you have the chance(y) you will certainly be laughing about it a long time after its over.

Martin

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Hi @DavidG58

On a slightly lighter note we sit with MIL and watch TV on an evening, well really Jen knits and I read MH Fun, anyway the TV is on LOUD and MIL has the remote, everytime the adverts come on she turns the bl---y sound off and then invariably falls to sleep, so do we then just miss the rest of the film or whatever it is or do we wrestle the remote from her sleeping hand and wake her up.

You could buy a cheapy 'all for one' remote and have your own emergency/secondary control of volume ...

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
No way would I take my parents on a road trip. :)

We do go away with other relatives and I think the secret is making sure that there is respect for personal space and time ...... our niece's children refer to us as "Grunkle and Graunt" and talk about nothing else but the holidays we have with them. They are 12 and 14 ....... I thought maybe they were getting too old to want to do family stuff but looks like we are stuck with them for a while - although the young man does have a pup tent these days.

Being away with one of the daughter-in-laws is far more of an issue ..... next time i think we will have separate living arrangements :) Grandson always wants to be in "his" van though!

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Morning David, glad to see you've survived another day/night :LOL:.
It can be very tiring, especially if you're having to talk in a raised voice/repeat stuff constantly.
You're doing a grand job, just remember that lotofs us on here know exactly what you're going through....and there will be times when you'll find yourself enjoying it.
...and you are keeping us all entertained anyway x

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Beautiful sunny morning here and Bev has just discovered there is a geo cache in the car park, better still she has already found it, better than the usual 1/2 hour of my life wasted grovelling around in wet grass looking for something not worth finding :)

IMG_0964.JPG

The harbour at Portmahomack a few yards walk from the overnight stop at Tarbat Discovery Centre

IMG_0966.JPG

IMG_0967.JPG

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Oh pants! If I'd have known that you were into geocaching, I'd have passed on a TB that needed to go to "higher ground". I forgot to take it with me to Falkirk :blusher:

Hope the sun continues to shine....looks lovely!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back