Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
GRANTHAM
Funster No
MH
LOW PROFILE
Exp
SINCE JULY 2011
Hi, my first thread as new member ! Just had towbar fitted to MH, now the trailer for my scooter,but which one ? I visited easy-lifter at Loughborough last week, impressive,expensive, but so many different stories on forums. Help what should i go for.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
There was a mega disaster of a bike trailer on here a few weeks ago, if you pick a name do a search on here just in case. However the firm had called in the receivers.

Upvote 0
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Hi, my first thread as new member ! Just had towbar fitted to MH, now the trailer for my scooter,but which one ? I visited easy-lifter at Loughborough last week, impressive,expensive, but so many different stories on forums. Help what should i go for.

Hi and welcome.

I am going through the same process, complicated by my scooter having three wheels and being 260kg.

Looked at second hand 2 bike trailers on ebay from around £300 up to transverse trailers at £1000+. On balance I prefer the transverse type as they take up much less room on site and at home, but not sure I want to spend that much.

Another option I have looked at is a conventional box trailer with a rear drop down so you at least have a conventional trailer to use for going to tip etc.

Decisions, decisions......

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi and welcome.

I am going through the same process, complicated by my scooter having three wheels and being 260kg.

Looked at second hand 2 bike trailers on ebay from around £300 up to transverse trailers at £1000+. On balance I prefer the transverse type as they take up much less room on site and at home, but not sure I want to spend that much.

Another option I have looked at is a conventional box trailer with a rear drop down so you at least have a conventional trailer to use for going to tip etc.

Decisions, decisions......

Steve

Hi and welcome can't help with trailer though.
Steve how are you enjoying the bike

Upvote 0

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I used an early easylifter to carry a 225kg Kawasaki Versys on the back of an RV for years and carried the bike at least 20'000 miles with no problems at all great bit of kit. It even got smashed into ferry ramps on several occasions but never failed although occasionally had to be hammered straight.

I also have one of the new type easylifters with 2 swivel wheels for easy reversing but have only used it once but worked perfectly. I changed the RV to a C class so could'nt carry the Kawasaki so bought the new type easylifter. However I did'nt keep that RV long 7mpg:cry::cry:.

Now have a Hymer tagaxle which carries the Kawasaki on board in the garage so have'nt used the easylifter since.

Upvote 0
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Hi and welcome can't help with trailer though.
Steve how are you enjoying the bike

Enjoying it Gerry, only done 250 local miles so far. A bit of a learning curve having never ridden anything without pedals before.

Stalled on me today for the first time, not sure why, started again without a problem so need to keep an eye on that. Nice bit of kit.

Steve

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

HEARSEMAN

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
GRANTHAM
Funster No
MH
LOW PROFILE
Exp
SINCE JULY 2011
Scooter trailer

Thanks guys for your advice, bike trailer nightmare ! Don,t want to waste hard earned money on wrong kit. I,m sold on transverse trailer and easilifter model ( thanks forestboy) but no rush till next year. Got a reversing camera on board, but transverse trailer would soon come round on me.:Doh:p.S chopped my 1998 showroom Honda Firestorm in for Honda PCX 125 scoot:cry:. But now ::bigsmile: because i,m on the scoot every day as a commuter. thanks

Upvote 0
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Link Removed
I use one of these lowers to the ground.

I do not think these are available in the UK any more.

I ended up buying a RoRo trailer adapted for my 3 wheels. Only used it once and seemed fine. Not taken it behind MH yet where I won`t be able to see or feel it, just have to hope it`s still there when we stop......::bigsmile:

Steve

Upvote 0

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
I do not think these are available in the UK any more.

I ended up buying a RoRo trailer adapted for my 3 wheels. Only used it once and seemed fine. Not taken it behind MH yet where I won`t be able to see or feel it, just have to hope it`s still there when we stop......::bigsmile:

Steve
I bought mine secondhand you are probably right,would recommend you get a camera and screen I use mine all the time when towing gives me pice of mind and makes reversing easier I bought similiar to the link works great. Link Removed the one I bought is slightly different stays on all the time if you want

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
I bought mine secondhand you are probably right,would recommend you get a camera and screen I use mine all the time when towing gives me pice of mind and makes reversing easier I bought similiar to the link works great. Link Removed the one I bought is slightly different stays on all the time if you want

I have a reversing camera but it only works when in reverse, could take a peek when at traffic lights etc but whoever is behind wouldn`t be too impressed.

Upvote 0

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
camera

Link Removed this is the one I have stays on all the time

Upvote 0

talaris

Free Member
Aug 17, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class Dethleffs
Exp
since 2011
Just bought a Phoenix "big bike" trailer. Good bit of kit and easy to load your scoot as it has a wide ramp and a solid floor. It is long though at 13 feet or thereabouts. Single axle and payload of 500kg. Google Phoenix Trailers.

Upvote 0
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Just bought a Phoenix "big bike" trailer. Good bit of kit and easy to load your scoot as it has a wide ramp and a solid floor. It is long though at 13 feet or thereabouts. Single axle and payload of 500kg. Google Phoenix Trailers.

Yes, looked at those and they are only about 35 miles from me, decided on the RoRo as it can be tipped on its side and taken apart in about 20 mins for storage.

Upvote 0

edgy

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 25, 2011
bolton lancs
Funster No
MH
lo line
Exp
"I,m a newbie
Hi i have had the same dilemma about a bike trailer. I put a deposit down on the trailer that Hilldweller is on about and then they went bust:Doh: .Lost my deposit but that is another story. So got to thinking about a box Trailer,Whilst out on my travels the other day i went past the dealer where i bought my van from and called in for a coffee ,[only for a look] and somebody had part ex,d there van and a lovely little box trailer. So i ended up buying the trailer, nice thing with 2 side doors and a motor mover on it ramp on the back to load either Bandit or scooter or even both and still loads of room for my other stuff that i dont use:roflmto:.Moral of the story is if you got to tow a trailer why not get one that holds all your junk:ROFLMAO: P.S. i have got a motor mover for sale:roflmto:

Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I bought a general purpose trailer from Richardson Rice near York and had them make a solid removeable top for it, and fit a loading ramp instead of a tail gate.
I can remove the solid, secure top and use it as a general purpose trailer, or leave the top on for the same thing.
They also made me a removeable centre channel to run my bike into, with a front wheel hoop for support.
The top was made to the dimensions that I gave so the bike is a snug fit. I still have loads of room for "stuff" when the bike is in.
It's amazing how many "mates" want to borrow it just to take a few things to the tip/move some furniture/collect some wood from B&Q. ::bigsmile:

www.richardsonrice.co.uk

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back