scooter rack

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ukbill, Aug 29, 2013.

1. ukbill

ukbill Funster

does a scooter rack have to be attached to a towbar or can a rack be fitted straight to the frame my garage will undertake the work and will test weight etc but all i see is racks attached to towbars advice please happy funsters :Smile:

2. ukbill

ukbill Funster

bump

3. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Mine is fitted to the frame - I can email you photo's if needs be. it's is 30kg fitted - 150kg weight limit and with 120kg PCX 125 would not notice it on the back.

4. ukbill

ukbill Funster

if you could john photo's would be great thanks mate

5. cmcardle75

cmcardle75 Read Only Funster

There is no problem finding frame mounted racks.

However, don't trust the garage about the weights. Most will lie through their teeth for the business. The rest are not competent to do the weight calculations. Rear mounted carriers can easily overload the rear axle loading on your van due to the levering effect. Get your van weighed on a weighbridge first full with your normal passenger loads and liquids. Make sure they weigh the rear axle seperately. You can then calculate the extra loading on the rear axle, which will be considerably more than the weight of the rack and bikes, in some cases almost double, but typically about 50% more, depending on your overhang.

6. ukbill

ukbill Funster

i trust my garage but was wondering why its always a toebar and a rack never just a rack unless it so you can take the rack if or when u change ya mh

7. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Will do give me 30 minutes to find photo's

8. Baldeagle7470

Baldeagle7470 Funster

My scooter rack is very substantial and runs a long way back into the chassis.I carry a small motorbike under 100kgs or a scooter just over 100.
    I have done so for some years and have had no problem with vehicle handling but am slightly concerned about rear overhang,I try and move as much weight forward as possible inside the van to counteract it BUT reading of increased weight checks throughout Europe am thinking of using my motorbike trailer instead just to be 100% sure

9. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Sorry for late reply. Fitted by local Motorhome place and took about a day. When MH is is fully loaded fuel, water, wife, cats, food etc etc the Mh weight is 3480kg, however thats full tank of fuel and 140lts of water. We never carry that amount of water now ever, more like 20lts whilst on the move.
    We have also a certificate from them stating fitted within the weight limits.
    Model:
    http://www.caravanas-cruz.com/tiendaficha.php?id=1546&nom=SOPORTE+MOTOS+SCOUT+150+KG

Attached Files:

10. cmcardle75

cmcardle75 Read Only Funster

It is normally the rear axle weight that goes over, long before the maximum total weight. Have you had the rear axle weighed in a loaded condition?

11. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Yes as stated, I would not have left the MH place without correct details.

When we leave Spain I take the MH to weight place and have both axles done and get print out in case stopped by police ( we did in UK in April and after checked they let us go ).
    Have never been stopped in Spain or Portugal or France.

12. ukbill

ukbill Funster

thanks for the pics john i reckon thats what im looking for i will print them and see if they are of use to the garage as i said i dont know why its always towbar and rack that should save some cash for a pint or 2 maybe at pedro's next time ya there cheers again :Smile:

13. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Should be there in December this year fingers crossed, see you then we can go for a spin on the scooters.