scooter/m-bike

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by darklord, Feb 28, 2012.

1. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

Seeing i have the "A" on my license, that allows me to ride a (cant remember) BHP machine, i am assuming carrying a passenger, are there some suggestions for what is good/bad etc.
    We only want it for bimbling about when we park the MH, and a bit of commuting (about ten miles a day), al, advice appreciated.

2. motor roamin

motor roamin Funster

If it is a full Cat A with no restriction code afterwards then you can ride any motorcycle/scooter you want with a pasenger.....If you have restriction codes (numbers) then I cannot remember what number is which restriction.

Hope this helps a bit

All the best Rick

3. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

As Rick says...

This from the latest DVLA updating mails:

P Mopeds with an engine size of up to 50 cc and a maximum speed of up to 50 km/h

A1 Light motorcycles with an engine size of up to 125 cc and a power output of up to 11 kW (14.6 bhp)
    A Medium-sized motorcycles up to 25 kW (33 bhp) and a power to weight ratio of up to 0.16 kW/kg
    A Motorcycles with a sidecar and a power to weight ratio of up to 0.16 kW/kg
    A Any size motorcycle, with or without a sidecar if you have completed the large motorcycle Direct Access Scheme
    21*
    *You can ride a large motorcycle at any age two years after passing a test on a medium-sized motorcycle.

As to what.. Two up, ten miles.. I would suggest a minimum of a 250cc

A few reasons.. Although a smaller bike will do the job it will struggle if you encounter any sizable hills
    Be uncomfortably slow on major roads and have difficulty keeping up with faster moving traffic ( can be even more dangerous than going too fast ! )
    And the best one of all.............
    125's are much sort after.. They retain a very high resell value so you will end up paying through the nose for not a lot..
    A decent 250 ( even something like an old Honda 250 Dream ) will likely not have had too hard a life, is cheap to run, easy to get spares for, and will cost very little ( compaired to other options ) in initial outlay

If you have not ridden a bike for many years, a 250 should not get you in too much trouble either as chances are it will have only about 20 BH to play with

• Like Like x 1
  4. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

Just checked the license, and it is "A" with no codes or anything else. So am I right in assuming that it is up to 33bhp with a passenger?.

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

a full A licence without codes is unrestricted.......ride what the hell you like. :thumb:

A Any size motorcycle, with or without a sidecar if you have completed the large motorcycle Direct Access Scheme
    21*

Jaws list is the current list for new-ish riders.......

you must have taken a bike test years ago and it doesnt apply.

took mine back in July 1975

6. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

As PJ says :thumb:
    Wanna buy a Blackbird then ?? :Wink:

• Like Like x 1