Scooter insurance for 365 days cover in the EU (1 Viewer)

Fireflies

Free Member
Jun 18, 2016
On the road
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Guys
Just joined and already a question for you to answer if possible
Our scooter insurance company (ebikeinsurance) has just informed us at renewal time that they can only offer scooter insurance valid for EU travel on a limited 1 month per trip basis which is unworkable for us as we spend a lot of time touring Europe towing our box trailer containing the scooter behind us.
Last year was full 365 days EU cover but they have now changed their policies which is a shame. The nearest we can get to it is a policy of 183 day per trip with MCE Insurance but would like to know if there are other companies out there that can match our full timing needs.
Many thanks
Pete & Nina

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Hi Pete and Nina.

Can't help with your question. As you know our vehicles are Spanish registered. Just wanted to say welcome and hope you become full members. I think many people would be interested to hear about your travels.

Judith and Martin (jumar) from Totana

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We've got ours covered with LV for extended EU cover. Might be worth a call.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Fireflies

Fireflies

Free Member
Jun 18, 2016
On the road
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Hi denisejoe
Thanks for the info. Did you insure recently and how long is your EU cover?

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Sorry, not sure as I only looked at the certificate and it just says "extended" EU cover; it's only 3rd party whilst abroad not fully comp as UK. Suggest you give them a call or do an online quote. Insurance was only taken out a couple of months ago.

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
We had exactly the same issue when we were touring with our motorbike.
Essentially, there was only ONE company - monopolisation or what? - that offered us the 365 days and that was the internet insurer e-bike motorcycle insurance.
You can tell that they have the monopoly because they were next to useless when you had a query. The premium also went up dramatically every year.
However, I did get them to cover it if only to be able to take the bike with us.

Perhaps a competitor has sprung up since we last insured in 2015.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
ever ins policey took out in the eu provides minimum cover for 365 days in the eu. .uk ins companies may offer same as you have in uk but they have to cover the minimum in the eu and some other countries for free . well what you pay as a premium .

OP
OP
Fireflies

Fireflies

Free Member
Jun 18, 2016
On the road
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks for your input guys. I've spent the weekend doing online quotes and have taken this morning to calling companies directly to pin them down. Some are knowledgable and specific (Aviva) and others are not sure about minimum legal EU obligations and I'm awaiting return calls from them via the underwriters.
vwalan, you are right in what you state about EU minimum cover once a policy is in place. So if I can only acquire a 183 day full UK & EU policy, then a trip beyond this length results in my cover reduced to third party only, doable but not ideal. Crucially its legal in the EU. I'll update when I get my best quote.

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Try Ebike we used them when we full timed.

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Why can it not be insured as normal in the UK, I thought it covered the EU as well?

How does the insurance co know you are away long term?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
all passports are swiped or should be on leaving and entry . ins urance companies arent daft .
but the minimum is what they all have to give . at least you are then legal. if you crash it .
you just walk away from your bike or sell it for spares .
secret is dont take one thats worth a fortune .

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
I don't think ins companies can get access to border control info.
If they can it wants stopping!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
but if your abroad they can ask for receipts or proof of when you left etc .
i see no reason why they cant have access . it could be you are committing a crime .

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
The problem may be if you are out of the UK for more than 6 months, you are deemed not a resident here.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
only for somethings . the tax man doesnt say that . if you have a house pay bills rates etc then you cannot be anything but a resident . recently other govt depts are trying to change things but you can get round them .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
From memory, if you visit a country, Spain is one such country, for more than 6 months you have to register your vehicle in that country...ie: import it.
If you intend staying longer it means a short journey across the nearest (virtual) border into another country and obtaining proof of said visit to show you left the original country.
Insurers maybe won't know which country you visit or for how long so may be insuring a vehicle against company policy.

OP
OP
Fireflies

Fireflies

Free Member
Jun 18, 2016
On the road
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Guys
Just to update you. I eventually insured the scooter with Principal Insurance after they recommended several policies to me. Excellent customer service and we nailed down exactly what would happen if I strayed over the EU cover time limit. Basically with most policies comprehensive cover whilst in the EU drops down to its lowest level of cover for that particular country you are in, usually something akin to third party cover only, but legal.
Be aware that some time limits offered by brokers when exceeded overseas means that you have no insurance whatsoever with that company. The devil is in the detail so you must ask about every eventuality and get them to give assurances as to their intended actions should you go over the time limit.
(The broker offering 183 days EU cover currently admitted to me that you are not covered for anything with them if you exceed this limit)
Best I could get after many calls and several days searching was 93 days EU cover per trip so am pleased at the outcome really
Thanks for your input

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i think the brokers you have spoke to are not telling the truth .
things could change now we have voted out but at the moment there is a law that makes it a legal obligation for an insurance took out in the eu to cover the minimum cover in any eu country. thats for the full term of the policey. they cant not give that.
many brokers just dont know what they are talking about and should be avoided if they say they dont give cover . in fact they should be reported to the insurance ombudsman. its their type of bad workmanship that lets this country down .

OP
OP
Fireflies

Fireflies

Free Member
Jun 18, 2016
On the road
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
i think the brokers you have spoke to are not telling the truth .
things could change now we have voted out but at the moment there is a law that makes it a legal obligation for an insurance took out in the eu to cover the minimum cover in any eu country. thats for the full term of the policey. they cant not give that.
many brokers just dont know what they are talking about and should be avoided if they say they dont give cover . in fact they should be reported to the insurance ombudsman. its their type of bad workmanship that lets this country down .
I agree entirely. When I contacted several of the brokers I was aware I knew more than they did on the subject which is at best very worrying. A few of them came back after chats with their supervisors to inform me they had learned something new today, can you believe that? These are the guys who will flatly tell you you're not insured for something when you then make a claim. I got good service finally but only after digging well beyond the surface. I found diversely factual responses from one company I rang twice with my enquiries which would have left me high and dry in their eyes.
Wait until we are finally out of the EU then have to go through the grey waters of misinformation relating to the Motorhome insurance renewals. It will be a minefield!

Gcs

Feb 18, 2015
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
5 years
Picking up an old thread here, can anyone tell me the current best motorcycle insurers to use for an extended Euro trip?
Just found mine only covers 90 day max!
Thanks in advance

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We often wondered how you proved your bike / scooter was stolen while in europe when it's hiding in your garage, and only you know it's left the country. :LOL:

Bennetts had a problem with our policy many years ago, ;) when a lot of pieces of paper changed hands, :rolleyes: and our neighbour signed for a recorded letter, when we came home they had cancelled the policy. :eek: Bob.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Don't forget that if Mrs May's WA EVER gets through HoC, you might be restricted to only 90 days in the entire EU out of any 180 days. :(

IF it's NoDeal, you might not even get that much. (n)(n)(n)

Gordon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back